August 2009 STOG

By FFGSteve, in UFS General Discussion

FFGSteve said:

future sets will get a bit bigger, which also means more characters.

Thanks for this, I was wondering if we'd see bigger sets to make up for the new release schedule.

My playgroups. Yes both of them broke up over this same decision. Weither in outrage at the fact that their chase cards were rendered completely worthless or the fact that their favorite license was no longer represented in the game. This decision killed UFS in Seattle. You heard the same from both Tuggs and Quagaar who I've been playing the game with for around a year now. Ironically I actually had two people who were very excited to get into the game because one could play Lord Raptor, and the other could play Talim. Now that there's no legal version of either, they both dropped all interest in the game, as did another long time player because he was on a budget and lost 90% of his card pool, which he can't afford to replenish to stay in the game.

It should say something that I'm not even mad that I lost 4 BRTs, 4 Chesters, 4 Olcadan's, 4 LotM, 3 Neo Raging Storms, 2 Feline Spikes and a playset of every starter rare... on top of all the other hard-to-find rares I had. If it's healthier for the game... fine... whatever... it's healthier for the game.

Yes, I feel that City and Store tournaments should be run in any format the store pleases at this stage, simply because of the way-too-early rotation. It's interesting that you tell me to 'do what I will to make that happen' and to quit whining in the same post. Protest, but don't protest.

Lastly at my regionals there was a $40-ish deck that came two vitality from winning against the deck that ended up beating me in singles for 1st place. It was promo Blanka aggro off of Fire.

I think UFS has fine mechanics, I don't hate them, but I wouldn't have bought the game for the mechanics... which was my point. Without the characters it's JUST mechanics, and that alone isn't enough for most people to buy into... or continue playing a game.

At any rate if I walk away now I won't have a playgroup when I get back... so it's either take a stand here and keep my playgroups, or just forget UFS for a year until a new Street Fighter set comes out that may-or-may-not have my favorite character in it... and play by myself until I can drive down to a large scale tournament a few times a year. To me those sound like lovely options. Don't they to you? This also means I will never have a chance to play the character card that I won. How awesome is that?

I honestly honestly do not see why you're so disappointed. Everyone has been telling you...you can run whatever the hell format you want. If you want block 3 so you can run blood runs true..go for it. If you want block 2, no one's stopping you... unless the sole reason you play UFS is to goto big touraments..maybe you should be mad. By the time the next worlds rolls around, we'll probably have a set or two with licenses that you enjoy.

I loved Darkstalkers and that all got rotated out, but I'm not crying since we can just play legacy and get support either way. Boohoo I can't play my 3 Darkness Blades....everyone lost their chase cards for standard but I'm happy that more people are looking into legacy. The much better format anyways.

KawaiiMistress said:

I honestly honestly do not see why you're so disappointed. Everyone has been telling you...you can run whatever the hell format you want. If you want block 3 so you can run blood runs true..go for it. If you want block 2, no one's stopping you... unless the sole reason you play UFS is to goto big touraments..maybe you should be mad. By the time the next worlds rolls around, we'll probably have a set or two with licenses that you enjoy.

Because some people feel entitled that their every whim be catered for.

KawaiiMistress said:

I loved Darkstalkers and that all got rotated out, but I'm not crying since we can just play legacy and get support either way. Boohoo I can't play my 3 Darkness Blades....everyone lost their chase cards for standard but I'm happy that more people are looking into legacy. The much better format anyways.

This is the same guy who complained endlessly after Promo Sakura rotated that there was no legal version of Sakura that was tournament viable.

Until there is a tournament version of Sakura that thoughtessly wrecks face, he'll ***** endlessly.

Note - that rather then he be happy that Sakura Top 8'd (BTW - We told you Panada that Sakura was viable!)

He finds something else to complain about. BTW - Panda - Shut up, Play Legacy. That fixes all of your problems.

Antigoth and Hatman win this thread.

As someone who has been exclusivley playing the 'five point blades" for about 2 months now, I welcome the early rotation. To echo what a bunch of people have stated here, the games are more fun and stuff actually happens. I think once Tekken comes out, and the card pool increases, many of the naysayers will eventually jump onboard.

Antigoth said:

This is the same guy who complained endlessly after Promo Sakura rotated that there was no legal version of Sakura that was tournament viable.

Has he seriously not looked at the Domination one? Easily one of the most powerful versions printed. Hard to kill because of free life gain, instant, free recursion, 27 health? I've seen her used a lot and she is tough to take down off of every symbol she had.

And even if she wasn't give her a try for the hell of it. I ran ::Talim at the SoCal Regionals (someone who I've never heard of being used in a large tourney) and I surprised a lot of people. I didn't do that well (I blame it on not enough testing on my part) but I gave it a shot and opened people's eyes on her. I know that two of my opponents left the table talking about how they're surprised you don't see her as often. So, if you don't think they're tourney viable, try anyways. You could be surprised.

Plus, ::Sakura is nuts. End of story.

Antigoth said:

Not only that, but this is the guy who won the character contest. Honestly I'd be ecstatic that I won, because I'd be able to play my creation and not just a character I happen to like. No, he whines endlessly that there's no legal Sakura in newFS.

griffinman01 said:

Antigoth said:

Has he seriously not looked at the Domination one? Easily one of the most powerful versions printed. Hard to kill because of free life gain, instant, free recursion, 27 health? I've seen her used a lot and she is tough to take down off of every symbol she had.

And even if she wasn't give her a try for the hell of it. I ran ::Talim at the SoCal Regionals (someone who I've never heard of being used in a large tourney) and I surprised a lot of people. I didn't do that well (I blame it on not enough testing on my part) but I gave it a shot and opened people's eyes on her. I know that two of my opponents left the table talking about how they're surprised you don't see her as often. So, if you don't think they're tourney viable, try anyways. You could be surprised.

Hasn't Sakura always been ridiculous? The only better Sakura might be the double reversal Sakura. The one is ridiculous.

Characters are going to get rotated out anyways, there hasn't been a new Cody in ages, or one that I'm rather sad for..a new Voldo. He's what got me into this game but I enjoy the game no matter what license or what character I'm playing. Its only icing on the cake if I get to play a character I really enjoy.

Also..people should take note of Morrigan 3, she's quite ridiculous copying forms and enhances. I'm surprised no one tried to run her before. I sure made people think twice before trying to Ira Spinta me or someone had made the fatal error of not committing Morrigan when they tried to mill me and I copied flying power bomb's enhance to mill them. Tsk tsk..

KawaiiMistress said:

griffinman01 said:

Antigoth said:

Hasn't Sakura always been ridiculous? The only better Sakura might be the double reversal Sakura. The one is ridiculous.

Characters are going to get rotated out anyways, there hasn't been a new Cody in ages, or one that I'm rather sad for..a new Voldo. He's what got me into this game but I enjoy the game no matter what license or what character I'm playing. Its only icing on the cake if I get to play a character I really enjoy.

Also..people should take note of Morrigan 3, she's quite ridiculous copying forms and enhances. I'm surprised no one tried to run her before. I sure made people think twice before trying to Ira Spinta me or someone had made the fatal error of not committing Morrigan when they tried to mill me and I copied flying power bomb's enhance to mill them. Tsk tsk..

Sakura has always been ridiculous for the same reason Nako was, for the same reason Zi Mei is, etc. etc. UFS is sexist! (well the reality is guys like video game chicks, I do too... grumble mumble).

Still, you have to take everything Panda says with a grain of salt. Yes, he has some degree of support for being miffed, but at the same time he is also a long distance friend with a guy in my playgroup who is perpetually ornery - and I am of the opinion that anyone who can friend it up with him must also have the 'the world is out to get me' attitude, or simply that of a spoiled monkey whenever the world isn't out to pamper him. In any case, I advise everyone let Panda cool and we will all see him next tourney becuase the new block will be so **** fun and, eventually, one of his teenage girls will be playable again, my guess is sooner rather than later.

Morrigan 3 is, and has had her time, in the limelight. I recall Scuba doing very well with her for a while, and I also recall Matt Kohls using her in 2008 worlds singles. Then there was you using her (stacking as well) this year and doing extremely well.

Darkstalkers for life! (note I was running Talbain with his attack - dark force, and my buddy was using Felicia - obviously with her attack).

Getting hit with your wings on Friday is definately why I checked a 6 in round 6 to block Kohls' Dragon Flame and survive. Thank you.

- dut

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

Lastly at my regionals there was a $40-ish deck that came two vitality from winning against the deck that ended up beating me in singles for 1st place. It was promo Blanka aggro off of Fire.

Oh! I know you now. I was at that regional too, but we never played each other. I don't think anyones deck was much over $40, except maybe that sakura deck because of the BRT. Anyway, me and my play group are pretty happy about it and are definitely not quitting, so UFS in Seattle isn't quite dead yet. You and everyone else are welcomed to join us, though I still haven't got a deck finished. Waiting on Tekken to flesh it out. Just drop me a line

KawaiiMistress said:

I agree about Voldo. Hopefully the next SC4 set will have Voldo, Maxi, Yun-Seong, Xiang-hua, Yoshimitsu, Amy, or Rock in it. These guys haven't had legal versions for ages and Amy has never had support (something I hope gets remedied since she's a full character in SC4 and not just a throw-in bonus). I'd personally like to see a new version of Talim with some new support (for once I think she'd get a good set of it. Either her foundations suck (Soul Arena) or her attacks suck (Flash)) but I'd be happy with a new promo to abuse.

I kinda hope they push the sets out a little faster now that they're only doing one release at a time. I'd hate to not see Street Fighter, SNK, or Darkstalkers for a whole year.

Bpet said:

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

Oh! I know you now. I was at that regional too, but we never played each other. I don't think anyones deck was much over $40, except maybe that sakura deck because of the BRT. Anyway, me and my play group are pretty happy about it and are definitely not quitting, so UFS in Seattle isn't quite dead yet. You and everyone else are welcomed to join us, though I still haven't got a deck finished. Waiting on Tekken to flesh it out. Just drop me a line

It is good to hear that there are still UFS players in Seattle. There has been kind of a lull in my playgroup as well. Do you have a set meeting time/place that other players can show up to?

That's what I'm trying to organize at the moment. We too, have been in a lull, and haven't gotten together in awhile. Usually, it would be at a store on a Saturday. If you're interested, send me a pm.

KawaiiMistress said:

And your playing in big tournies again why exactly? Lin you were one of the best dark horses to show up in a long long time, hell everyone from your play group was outstanding.

bloodocean said:

Rumor I've heard is SF comes out like in January...again just a rumor I've heard.

Two things:

1. If UFS really is getting back on track, then if ANYTHING comes out post-Soul Cal, it won't be until February (the first quarter).

2. They've already said they're taking a bit of a break from SF because it has saturated our game for so long (only during 3 releases was SF not featured, and that's out of 12 releases!). As such, expect primarily Tekken6 and Soul Cal.

Horvath told me ShadoWar will reside primarily in promos, SF we know won't be here for a while, and I herd thru the grapevine that Darkstalkers is also on a bit of a break, so, I'm really hoping for some Samurai Showdown!

The OP change is both good and bad at the same time. The good news is that it'll be way easier to sign up for new events and run them in whatever format we'd like to. The store I scout at had already started fiddling with mini-block before the announcement, and we're switching pretty much immedately. Until we see September's prize support (please let it be some of those new promo characters) and the rest of the Tekken characters, we'll see if we need to help grandfather in more of the older characters.

The downside is one that we've seen over the last 6 or so months, and that's the lack of specialty events like Brawls. The two different playgroups I play with tended to have different feelings of them, but it'd be nice to have some more imaginative events like the Terrain events or something similar. Shaking things up a bit helps to refresh a player's outlook on certain cards and keeps things fresh. It doesn't have to be as drastic as the symbol tournaments, but some restrictions can be good. About the only thing we can do right now is standard Legacy, and even then some players raise up a stink about it. Or maybe it's just them seeing Promo Ruru....

So, I guess here's the questions I'd like answered soon-ish:

• Cost and process for signing up for Store and City Championships? It was already a bit hard to swallow the Regionals kit cost, what does City and Store look like? Will we have the option of not enforcing diversity if things start in October (before SC IV hits)?
  • It already got hinted at, but are we looking at 128 card sets after SCIV2 in October? That seems to be the just right amount per set, especially if you can get 8 characters in it (8 chars x 16 cards per = 128)
  • Will we be seeing more UFS related sleeves/boxes/mats soon as part of the FFG supplies line, or does that depend on how well the Zi Mei ones do?

I'm pretty sure that, until the economy picks up or the game gets more popular or whatever, the only time we'll ever see more than 99 cards is in February where we get 8 chars and 2 releases.

MarcoPulleaux said:

bloodocean said:

Rumor I've heard is SF comes out like in January...again just a rumor I've heard.

Two things:

1. If UFS really is getting back on track, then if ANYTHING comes out post-Soul Cal, it won't be until February (the first quarter).

2. They've already said they're taking a bit of a break from SF because it has saturated our game for so long (only during 3 releases was SF not featured, and that's out of 12 releases!). As such, expect primarily Tekken6 and Soul Cal.

Horvath told me ShadoWar will reside primarily in promos, SF we know won't be here for a while, and I herd thru the grapevine that Darkstalkers is also on a bit of a break, so, I'm really hoping for some Samurai Showdown!

Given the new format I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited the no-SF policy, after all when they made that decision there were going to be 3 SF sets legal for the next year or so.

Not saying I've heard anything, just that it wouldn't surprise me to see another SF set sooner rather than later.

it'd definitely surprise me seeing as how they were quite ardent about how much SF saturated our game. But hey, with NEWFS being badass, I'd love to see me a playable Ryu, and a Chun-Li that didn't fall under the category of "useless trade fodder" or "breaking the F--ing game"

Maybe, but like I said that's before they rotated everything out. We've gone from having 3 legal SF sets to none in the blink of an eye, it's bound to make them at least reconsider even if they don't change their minds.

MarcoPulleaux said:

I'm pretty sure that, until the economy picks up or the game gets more popular or whatever, the only time we'll ever see more than 99 cards is in February where we get 8 chars and 2 releases.

Steve said in the SotG that "future sets will get a bit bigger". We don't know what that means yet, it might just be up to 108 cards so we can get a 6th character. I doubt it's going to mean full 144 card sets.

Everyone complaining about the new rotation: Go back and READ the SOTG again. Read the part about your store doing whatever it wants in whatever format it wants. Go do that.

If you still want to complain, do not come to my store.

Anyways, back on topic. Great move for the game, this definately will get newer players into the store to play. I have my own plans for the rotation, including keeping Warrior's Dream/Flames of Fame in the game, as well as certain 4-Point characters, just to keep the game open for newer players. Thanks!

First off, I should point out that this WHOLE ARGUMENT started because someone couldn't be content to let someone else state their opinion. It was the blind "OHMYGODBLOCK4ISSOGOOD" attitude that seems to be going around. According to some people it seems that everyone who doesn't like Block 4 must be heckled for their opinions. I don't understand why a statement of opinion has to become an argument. I'm entitled to my opinion that the game is not as fun to play without any characters I like. Just like you're entitled to your opinions that the pictures and names of the cards don't matter so long as your deck is fun. I'm not about to insult you for your opinions on that matter, though it's intensely frustrating to play without your lack of limitations, regardless if mine are self-imposed or not.

Secondly... to clear up all this bull trash-talking about me from people, if you could read you would know I never said Sakura wasn't tournament viable. Ever. Not once. Though I will tell you that she's immensely overrated as the cards that target other recursion and can't effect her either don't see much play, or weren't legal in B3 (I sided Tough Outer Shell in Regionals... but was the only one. Just about everyone OTOH had Tag Along). Is she a solid character? Absolutely. Can you play her in a tournament? Certainly. Has she ever won any tournaments at the higher levels of competition? No. I did fine with her in my regionals... but the reason for doing fine wasn't her, it was the cards I could fish... which all got banned. I always wanted to make an aggro deck with her, and any aggro deck I ever made was better with another character be it Promo Ukyo, Starter Mai, Chaos Ryu... whoever... They made her a control character and I don't like playing control... But hey, you can twist my words in an attempt to make me look like an idiot. That's cool too. If you run out of intelligent arguments that can't be counterpointed, start recycling them and insult the other person. That makes for very civil and productive conversation. The 4Chan school of forum-going still seems to be going strong.

Next, Hatman... Yes, it's very exciting to be able to play my original character. The problem is that I'm not going to have my group of friends to play her WITH. Infact barring what I think is an hour long drive up to a game store that's technically not even in the city limits anymore, I won't be able to play her at all. (Provided you guys who posted are from the G&G group from Redmond). So perhaps you can see that coming from my position it's just that much higher to fall from.

Lastly there were some pretty expensive decks at Northwest Regionals. Mine in terms of what I actually spent on it was fairly cheap. I'd won the Chester's, traded for the Mentoring, and bought the BRTs and LotM's second-hand for around half the usual price ($15 and $10 respectively). The Tira deck that won it was certainly hovering around the $200 mark and the most expensive deck there I'm fairly certain was the Seong Mi-Na that placed third... but mine and the Seong Mi-na were pretty close.

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

I don't understand why a statement of opinion has to become an argument.

Welcome to my life dood