Trouble on the horizon?

By Necronis, in Wings of War

ghost81 said:

Personally I love the original, DOW, added some cool concepts to the game that feel like an improvement in technology, rather than just pasting a WWII theme over a WWI game, such as throttle rules and 2 phase turns. But after playing it I think I prefer my Sopwith camel, to the Spitfire any day. And while WWII is certainly a more popular Genre that WWI, I think that it is also one of the original game's strengths, being that there are plenty of Second world war games, but in the main stream Wings of War is is one of less than a hand full.

I agree. Also is WW2 kind of taboo in some places while WW1 is more or less politically correct.

But my main reason to prefer WW1 dogfights to WW2 is that WW1 was more the lone knight (like Boelke and Immelmann) and less huge groups tactics. For the perfect WW2 game you should each control 3 planes or something like that but DOW and any other game I played is a bit to complicated for that to work.

Don't get me wrong, DOw is still fun but I think I would prefer a more tactical WW2 game, some mix between DOW and Battlelore. But it might just be me, I really like WW1 aircrafts.

Also was most WW1 dogfights a lot smaller than the WW2 fights, heck, sometimes there were 100s of planes involved in dogfights in WW2. A scenario like that would be almost impossible to coordinate in DOW. Of course did the WW1 have a few large groups like the Richtoffen flying cirkus but even them were tiny compared to most WW2 battles.

When we play we use a single Jasta against a french Escadrille and a few brits. Considering that we are 4-7 players on each side that works well with most of the dogfights during the great war. And while WW2 had it's share of smaller dogfights too it still feels DOW only captures a small part of the war for me. Therefor I prefer Wow in front of DOW..

But of course are there many WW2 nuts out there and it is good that there is a version of the game for you too :) But I think it will be a long time until I start a WW2 campaign. It would however be interesting with a strategy version of DOW.

The games here average 3 per side and the feeling is DOW has an edge in player enjoyment. Dogfights are fun and personal, as opposed to getting flamed at long range by cannon fire. But that could just be our group. I for one am happy to be flying my Camel again.