WFRP3 >> Post GenCon Wrap-Up, a Few Clarifications

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

Greetings, all.

I finally returned from GenCon after a very successful show, and am in the process of recovering from another incredibly exhausting, intense weekend.

First, I'd like to thank everyone that stopped by the booth to say hello or view the prototype, and all the folks who attended one of the seminars. I really enjoy getting to meet with fans, and WFRP fans are among the most dedicated, passionate gamers out there.

Next, I wanted to post just a few quick comments to clarify some information from GenCon and hopefully pre-answer other questions a few of you may have.

1) We did video tape the first seminar of the weekend, and I am working with the production crew to see the best way to make that information available to online fans who did not have an opportunity to attend.

2) There is no battle map, no game board, no hexes, and no grid.

3) Yes, during the seminars I did mention that this is a heroic roleplaying game. The twist that helps keep this Warhammer Fantasy is the fact that some of the characters know they are heroes (or like to believe they are) and rise to the occassion. Other characters have destiny forced down their throats and become de facto heroes simply by virtue of having the story focus on their actions. If you recall, the first edition of WFRP states on the back cover that " Players adopt the roles of valiant heroes in search of adventure..."

4) Yes, the game is still grim and gritty, and your characters can still die. With the way the new critical wounds work, players will have to keep a close eye on their characters' health. Sometimes, when your face is smashed, your knee shattered, and the blood is running into your eyes, discretion is the better part of valour.

5) I am writing a series of designer diaries to go into more detail on a variety of the features, mechanics, and innovations for the new edition. I will not be posting as frequently to the forums as some users may wish, because my energy and time are focused on product development and line management , but I will do my best to communicate important information and dispel inaccuracies -- via designer diaries, product updates, and so on.

- Jay

All of this sounds awesome. I wish I knew when the next update is...

Thank you. Those of us not involved in a jihad against the 3rd edition appreciate it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Thanks for the post! I can't wait for this game!

Will the 2nd edition forum remain open?

@Artaxerxes - I think the forum for WFRP 2ed will stay open - why it should be closed? There's no need for that. I think all fans of WFRP will agre with me.

@Ynnen - please could these Designer Dairy be posted of the side of WFRP 3ed? Just like it was with 2nd edition designer dairy, that Jay Little wrote? It would be great to have a special Designer Dairy for this edition on the main site of WFRP 3ed.

Will there be a demo of the game like DH had Shattered Hope?

How many pages will have the 4 main books and will there be soft or hardcover?

Last question when will we see the WFRP 3ed Core set and Adventures Toolkit in stores?

ffgfan said:

@Artaxerxes - I think the forum for WFRP 2ed will stay open - why it should be closed? There's no need for that. I think all fans of WFRP will agre with me.

You've not met many marketing types have you, the v2 forum will likely be closed because the game isnt supported and it competes with the latest version...

And Ynenn is Jay Little...

Sorry Ynnen/Jay Little - after a hard day work I got cofused. All my questions are ment for You.

Artaxerxses -I know that after compliting a serie and ending a line some forum are closed but maybe FFG will still have this forum open. Who knows, but if are were an administrator of this forum then for some time I wouldn't close it. But after a half year or more I would close it.

Thank you, Jay. I have a great deal of faith in your dedication to WFRP and look forward to reading your designer diaries for this new edition.

very good news ! I think that the option low fantasy is a good idea, specialy because the hight fantasy is already used by DD4 happy.gif (and it is borring : look the great wizard is going to solve the problem with a Wish spell !!!)

Hi folks!

So far I like what I read about the new edition. I hope we'll see some previews very soon (especially about the custom dices), and a character sheet. A good character sheet often tells more about a game, than a thousand words. I'm also lookin forward to see the video about the seminarium somewhere.

(and it is borring : look the great wizard is going to solve the problem with a Wish spell !!!)

Well, not in 4e. We were thinking a lot about how Wish will look in 4e (possibly: " 10d10+Int modifier damage, you push your enemies 10 square") , but they left it out for various reasons from the game.

i'm looking forward to seeing what your working on

From today's news:

" Clips from all of these seminars can be found on our Gen Con videos page and Jay's Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay seminar will be available in full on our website soon. Check it out and find out what everyone who is interested in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is talking about."

Hooray.

ffgfan said:

Last question when will we see the WFRP 3ed Core set and Adventures Toolkit in stores?

A compete GUESS mind you:
Given its a prototype that was shown at gencon I wouldnt expect to see it till next year though they may push it through for the christmas market.

Though to be honest it depends on how developed they are for the prototype.

Loswaith said:

Given its a prototype that was shown at gencon I wouldnt expect to see it till next year though they may push it through for the christmas market.

I'll let them put the tip in. partido_risa.gif

Thanks Jay, for your update.

ynnen said:

... the first edition of WFRP states on the back cover that " Players adopt the roles of valiant heroes in search of adventure..."

A thought... creating an entire game flavour, based on a single sentence found on the back cover of the first edition, written near 25 years ago... ?

Are you serius? Did I understand well?

DeathFromAbove, I think the part that's important is this:

ynnen said:

The twist that helps keep this Warhammer Fantasy is the fact that some of the characters know they are heroes (or like to believe they are) and rise to the occassion. Other characters have destiny forced down their throats and become de facto heroes simply by virtue of having the story focus on their actions.

So not all PCs have to be "heroic". Ordinary people can be put in extraordinary circumstances -- which makes them heroes. It doesn't mean that the PCs will be able to fight off whole armies by themselves.

I think with WFRP it's important to remember that the game gets much of flavor from the fact that the PCs are "of the people". They're just like anyone else. Even in your second or third career, your character is just like any other second- or third-career NPC. In the earlier editions, there are almost no rules that set PCs apart from NPCs -- except for Fate Points, Fortune Points, Shallya's Mercy (maybe), and the fact that they're at the center of the story. No matter how well they can fight or talk their way out of fight, the PCs are special -- they're heroes -- but only because they're the focus of the story.

I hope that's something that's preserved in V3, and it sounds like it will be.

And if it isn't, houserule it.

DagobahDave said:

So not all PCs have to be "heroic". Ordinary people can be put in extraordinary circumstances -- which makes them heroes. It doesn't mean that the PCs will be able to fight off whole armies by themselves.

I hope.

I think with WFRP it's important to remember that the game gets much of flavor from the fact that the PCs are "of the people". They're just like anyone else.

I agree.

Even in your second or third career, your character is just like any other second- or third-career NPC.

Even better.

In the earlier editions, there are almost no rules that set PCs apart from NPCs -- except for Fate Points, Fortune Points, Shallya's Mercy (maybe),

A bit confusion here...

I think these are enough rules, or I need a whole rulebook of exception to "rule" how PCs are (should?) be heroes?

and the fact that they're at the center of the story. No matter how well they can fight or talk their way out of fight, the PCs are special -- they're heroes -- but only because they're the focus of the story.

Many (realistic) games do quite well using only this assumption as a PC specific rule.

I hope that's something that's preserved in V3, and it sounds like it will be.

It occur to me that in the latest time the tendencies is that "heroes" must be "ruled". By the rulebooks.

Why PCs are heroes is a matter of storytelling and players territory, not rules.

The problem isn' the fact that PCs are able to destroy by themselves an army of chaos but that they use rules by themselves.

Suspension of disbelief is critical. A player should feel heroic not because the rules say so, but because, even against the highest odds he succeeded (to battle, to cooking or to drive a coach).

Why rule something that is GM/Players territory?

Artaxerxes said:

ffgfan said:

You've not met many marketing types have you, the v2 forum will likely be closed because the game isnt supported and it competes with the latest version...

This.

Of course the v2 forum will be closed once v3 is out there. The blame for this should not necessarily be put on Jay - this decision will be made, and probably not by those involved in the making of the rpg.

Remember when BI was shut down - the web developer got the same question and answered something like "it will be open until the domain lapses" or something. The forum was specifically removed only months later, despite there being "no need"... Clearly someone higher up couldn't stand the fact there was a forum for an now-unsupported game line.

However, it might just be that you won't be discouraged from posting your v2 questions on this board (after all, it doesn't specify any given edition).

But really I feel it is much more worthwhile for you to register over at Strike to Stun. All old-edition refugees have a home there... where nobody has a new edition to push (only an old one happy.gif )

Ye Ancient One said:

And if it isn't, houserule it.

But how easy is it going to be to make house rules based on the new system?

I posted a long heartfelt rant about my thoughts in the "it's been a week" thread, but this point just came to me, with the dice mechanic the way it is, will the players be able to take a monkey wrench to it as they have with the old system?

DeathFromAbove said:

Thanks Jay, for your update.

ynnen said:

... the first edition of WFRP states on the back cover that " Players adopt the roles of valiant heroes in search of adventure..."

A thought... creating an entire game flavour, based on a single sentence found on the back cover of the first edition, written near 25 years ago... ?

Are you serius? Did I understand well?

Probably. Variations of that line are used in pretty much every RPG I've ever seen. Even the first 2 editions of this game.

Crazy Aido said:

But how easy is it going to be to make house rules based on the new system?

Think of yourself as a game designer (because you are!) when looking at the rules. Obviously, FFG tweaked the rules all during the process of design just by changing some wording or the looks of some components. You should be able to do the same just as easily. Major changes will require drastic measures -- you might have to tack on lots of post-it notes or redesign some cards or use dice from a different system -- but this is the same thing that any game developer would do with their own game in order to make corrections.

Dear Sir,

My question is when is this game due for release.

I am very excited about what you are doing and strongly believe this is just what the gaming market needs.

Best of luck

Sean