Yi Shan - The Iron Dragon

By LordAggro, in UFS Deck Building

Well, folks, I have another major shake-up with Yi Shan** ! The deck officially runs off of Earth now, using tools like The Man Behind the Mask , Brooding , and Maniacal Laughter to put some extra 'oomph' behind the attacks, as well as having a solid staging area defensive scheme (especially after your HP dips below half). This deck uses and abuses the Stun keyword with little regard for my opponent's staging area, since Yi Shan **'s all-important free E can be quickly played (and is present up to a certain degree in other cards, such as his attacks and Zhao Family Discipline ), so Perfect Sense of Balance and Torn Hero count as annoyances more than actual threats to my committing scheme. Let me know what you think about THIS deck. gran_risa.gif

Nice looking, built almost exact copy of this deck when tekken arrived here :) (strange how things turn out lol)

Have you considered cobra clutch? add another sweet stun to your attacks :D works well to get the atoning for the past going aswell.

Hmm... there's an idea. I don't know if it will be more effective than Hilt Impact (which is what I'd replace it for), but I'm gonna try it out and see. Thanks, bro. gran_risa.gif

Just got to say this... yi-shan against an opponent with no momentum control is crazy :D can you say stun x 10? I did and it was awesome

So far my earth Yi-shan has gone undefeated against a few of the decks I had problems with when it was based on life.. Can set up for damage a bit quicker now it seems

Cobra Clutch didn't let me down :)

My attack line up btw is

3 Rising hilt

2 cobra Clutch

2 Rage of the dragon

3 Striking thunders (only own 3 )

4 Tigerclaw

4 Yishan dragon tail legsweep

That's basically the reason I made the switch; Earth has the damage to make straight beat-you-in-the-face aggro a possibility, as well as the only momentum generation available to Yi Shan** in the form of Maniacal Laughter . Your results with Cobra Clutch are very encouraging for me, since I've been looking for something with a little more punch than Hilt Impact without losing all the Stu n power (or the mid block; otherwise, I would have grabbed 4 Close Throw and called it a day). I'm curious; how is Rising Hilt working out for you? I've considered it before, but I'm not sure its E will rack up more damage than, say, Dark Past , so I haven't put it in the deck.

woops my misstake there hehe should have been hilt impacts instead of rising hilts.. was tired when I posted that ^^

Oh, OK. No biggie, man.

Well, I will try it out.. have been thinking about using it for a long time anyway..I'll get back to you with the results :)

Mild tweak to report; Zhao Family Discipline has been dropped in favor of Stand Off , which costs less and can reduce damage as well as increase it (more foundation-intensive and can be canceled, but the effect is stronger, and committing out my enemy is great for me). It also has a Mid block, which I believe will be more useful than the High one ZFD has.

LordAggro said:

Mild tweak to report; Zhao Family Discipline has been dropped in favor of Stand Off , which costs less and can reduce damage as well as increase it (more foundation-intensive and can be canceled, but the effect is stronger, and committing out my enemy is great for me). It also has a Mid block, which I believe will be more useful than the High one ZFD has.

You also forget that it lowers the difficulty curve of your foundations by 1 - Stand Off is 2, ZFD is 3.

The Hatman speaks the truth on this one; I played only one set, and I can daresay that Stand Off was co-MVP with Tiger Claw (which I think is the best card in my deck, though Hilt Impact isn't far behind). The 2 diff vs. 3 diff really makes a difference, and the damage pump gets through unimpeded thanks to my Stun -spamming approach. The DR has worked out solid, too; my opponent simply couldn't afford to commit 2, so I shaved off enough damage for me to live via some well-timed (and rather lucky) full-blocks. gran_risa.gif

So Earth Yi Shan is working better than Life Yi Shan?

Also, how is Yi Shan doing in general?

LordAggro said:

The Hatman speaks the truth on this one; I played only one set, and I can daresay that Stand Off was co-MVP with Tiger Claw (which I think is the best card in my deck, though Hilt Impact isn't far behind). The 2 diff vs. 3 diff really makes a difference, and the damage pump gets through unimpeded thanks to my Stun -spamming approach. The DR has worked out solid, too; my opponent simply couldn't afford to commit 2, so I shaved off enough damage for me to live via some well-timed (and rather lucky) full-blocks. gran_risa.gif

I personally don't get the love for Hilt Impact - even though I've been smashed in the face with it for so long that I should. It's a solid attack, don't get me wrong, but...

I don't know how many Stand Offs you have in the deck, but if you have 4 you may want to consider reducing them to 3.

MarcoPulleaux said:

So Earth Yi Shan is working better than Life Yi Shan?

Also, how is Yi Shan doing in general?

Well, he's beaten my playgroup's Cassandra and Nina decks, so he's 2-0 since the switch. I don't know for sure, since I haven't had much opportunity to play lately (midterms suck sad.gif ), but he sure is hitting a hell of a lot harder, and with Hilt Impact , Tiger Claw , Stand Off , and Maniacal Laughter all contributing to my opponent committing out on my turn, I haven't missed the speed bonuses all that much..

@Hatman: I like Hilt Impact for its versatility, mostly; it's a great leadoff hit, especially if you've got a Tiger Claw coming up next; it has a great block; it's a Stun: 2 in a deck where Stun is what gets me through the enemy defense reliably, and the other stats (diff, speed, damage, check, zone) are all solid. To be honest, there are few utility attacks better than Hilt Impact , in my opinion.

Must agree with LordAggro on hilt impact, It's solid and have won me many games. Like he said hilt impact is **** nasty with manical laughter/Tigerclaw's out.

And I can add that since I switched to earth with yi-shan he feels alot more stable.

Mordai said:

Must agree with LordAggro on hilt impact, It's solid and have won me many games. Like he said hilt impact is **** nasty with manical laughter/Tigerclaw's out.

And I can add that since I switched to earth with yi-shan he feels alot more stable.

Earth is better than any other symbol on Yi Shan right now, if only because it has more cards.

Homme Chapeau said:

Earth is better than any other symbol on Yi Shan right now, if only because it has more cards.

Yes, but don't forget the high availability of damage bonuses on top of attacks that already have great stats, and that mostly he only will be running (I haven't seen many other decks with Striking Thunder in 'em, and Rage of the Dragon is Yi Shan Only ). Either way, he has been remarkably stronger off of Earth , especially on the defensive side. Stand Off , The Man Behind the Mask , and Torn Hero make for a formidable barrier against enemy attacks after your vitality dips below 13, and the first two do double-duty in helping you kill stuff faster. I'd like to get my hands on some Path of the Master to abuse the fact that I mostly use Yi Shan ** 's attacks (and the one that isn't his shares 2 symbols anyway), but that will take some time...

LordAggro said:

Yes, but don't forget the high availability of damage bonuses on top of attacks that already have great stats, and that mostly he only will be running (I haven't seen many other decks with Striking Thunder in 'em, and Rage of the Dragon is Yi Shan Only ). Either way, he has been remarkably stronger off of Earth , especially on the defensive side. Stand Off , The Man Behind the Mask , and Torn Hero make for a formidable barrier against enemy attacks after your vitality dips below 13, and the first two do double-duty in helping you kill stuff faster. I'd like to get my hands on some Path of the Master to abuse the fact that I mostly use Yi Shan ** 's attacks (and the one that isn't his shares 2 symbols anyway), but that will take some time...

They can be found if you look around the forums - you'll have to trade for them but generally the guys who have them in tons (the winners) are not gonna gouge you.

Me and the rest of the gang have been trying to come into contact with them, but we've mostly been ignored. So here's to hoping they respond...