Doom game system bug?

By Amitloaf, in Doom

I think that I've encountered an inherent bug in the Doom: The Boardgame game system. As I couldn't get an official response from FFG, i'd like to hear your opinion about it.

Legend:
M = Marine
Z = Zombie
Grey block = Obstacle
Red Line = No line of sight (Obstacle blocking)
Green Line = Apparent line of sight (Obstacle not blocking)

Illustration

So as you can see in the illustration, if only one of those zombies were on-screen, my marine could have seen zombies 2-4 but currently zombie 2's line of sight is blocked by zombie 1, zombie 3's line of sight is blocked by 2 and etc.
This doesn't seem logically possible as if my marine would have shot zombie 4, it wouldn't just miss but hit zombie 3 instead or something similar. How should this be solved?

Hm...sorry to say it...but I cant see a thing...no illustration.

Aye, no illustration.

You have to keep in mind though that the board game is not meant to simulate either the video game or model reality by any means. There's no other reason to have guns that are unable to shoot further than 20m even with careful aiming, or to have guns that break after 18-36 uses.

bla.GIF.jpg

I hope the illustration works now (provided with link too).

Well i know the game pyshics aren't very realistic but this one seems too much like an exploitation of a loophole in the rules.

Hm, indeed :(

Shouldn't happen too often, but it can ruin games... I guess making exceptions just for that would be too many rules, one of the strengths of Doom's LOS system is that it's rather simple. But you can always house rule it in ways that make more sense. The easiest way to house rule it would be to say that only miniatures that are visible themselves can block line of sight, I guess.

In fact, I think that'll be the way I teach it from now on :P

This is the difference between some minis games and most board games. Due to Doom's simple LOS rules, you are expected to step the Marine one to the right, thus giving you LOS on Zombie 1. If you can then walk your fire down the line from Z1 to Z4, that would be a story of glory!

I think this was covered in either the Doom or possibly the Descent FAQ, in that LOS is not blocked by a hidden unit.

Well that certainly makes much more sense than saying that if Z1 blocks Z2 then any attempt to hit Z2 will hit Z1 instead like we've been playing until now. It sure is a funny thought though. Thanks for your replies!

Garzini said:

I think this was covered in either the Doom or possibly the Descent FAQ, in that LOS is not blocked by a hidden unit.

Must've been Descent, I haven't found it in the Doom one. But it sure makes sense. Thanks :)