And now for something completely different...

By Boscrossos, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

A man who is actually excited about the new edition. I will have to check some previews and reviews to see how it works out, but I for one like what was offered in the press release. So keep up the good work, FFG, many people do still care!

Same here. People who loved 2E might be upsewt, but at the end of the day, they have a game they can still play. Sure, sucks that you won't have any more supplements (though that's not been announced yet), but you have a fully functioning rules-set that you like, and more than enough fan supplements to last you a lifetime.

Meanwhile, people who thought the 2E system was unwieldy and trying too had to mesh the stats from WHFB and a percentile based system, can buy and enjoy 3E. I've played games with dicepools before (eg. nWoD, Shadowrun, etc), and they work. So 3E will be getting my money, and probably the money of anyone who wasn't sold on the 2E system.

MILLANDSON said:

Same here. People who loved 2E might be upsewt, but at the end of the day, they have a game they can still play. Sure, sucks that you won't have any more supplements (though that's not been announced yet), but you have a fully functioning rules-set that you like, and more than enough fan supplements to last you a lifetime.

Meanwhile, people who thought the 2E system was unwieldy and trying too had to mesh the stats from WHFB and a percentile based system, can buy and enjoy 3E. I've played games with dicepools before (eg. nWoD, Shadowrun, etc), and they work. So 3E will be getting my money, and probably the money of anyone who wasn't sold on the 2E system.

Same here, dude. I liked v1-2 and I seem to get very excited with v3.

I'm looking forward to it, and I hope it's as much fun to play as I think it might be.

But more than that, I like a good story, and this is the story of WFRP3. If it succeeds, I'll want to be playing it. If it's lukewarm, I'll want to know why. If crashes and burns, it's going to be a interesting ride.

I'm having a great time so far. :)

I'm interested in writing a couple of new scenarios for it. Until I get some more details though, I'm holding on.

I wish they'd pull a wotc and release some partial data.

jh

MILLANDSON said:

Meanwhile, people who thought the 2E system was unwieldy and trying too had to mesh the stats from WHFB and a percentile based system, can buy and enjoy 3E.

2E didn't try to mesh the stats from WFB into a percentile system. 1st edition did that just fine by itself. All 2nd edition did was to lose a couple stats (cool, leadership, and initiative) and replace them with agility (as cool and leadership are already duplicated mostly by fellowship and WP)

1st edition even had a crude system of converting PCs from ropleplay to battle, and so on.

Percentile systems in my mind simplify resolution as you only need to equal or beat a number, not look up the result on a chart.

Why are people so bitter about this game?!

The only things that we have seen so far is a party sheet and a career sheet. How are they asuming that this game will be the end of the world based on that??

Also the mechanics... does anyone know how they actually work? Well, no, but they must be formed by the devil himself! Where are they getting that?!

The only thing that we can say about this game is that the art and the design rock. Also this is FFG, and all their games are fun and great, so why would they stop being great here?

I love the warhammer setting, I loved the 2nd edition and I'm certanly not going to trash one of my favourite games of all time without even seeing it.

Go ahead FFG, make another great game.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. The $100 price tag will require somebody else to buy it.

I'm concerned about the 3 players will be characters thing from the main page. Are they trying to treat this like a board game and have a hard limit? It seems...out of touch...

The dice have a lot of potential. If you could, during combat, have dice that showed how accurate, how much damage and how much...we'll say impact, it would be neat. You could have potential attacks that don't yield damage but shove their opponent around or knock them to the ground. I hope that it works that way. It would add a new level to combat. It wouldn't all be the same thing over and over again.

I'm one who didn't really care for the old system. I mean I ran a 2 year game with 2nd edition. But it was...I dunno...showing it's obvious weakness after those two years. It still had the 'naked dwarf problem' of the past.

Earlier I stated on these forums that I wouldn't mind a v3. With the mechanics worked over. Looks like my wish came through.

****, that was a wicked genie... demonio.gif

But seriously, I don't think this is the end of the old world. The game looks gorgeous, and while I'm not a fan of fancy dice and cards, FFG might have revitalized one of the best RPG of all time. Then again, they might have missed the mark. We won't know until the game is out. Unless it's made of pure awesome I probably won't buy it, as I'm relatively happy with my own, houseruled v1/v2, but I hope FFG releases some kick-ass(and easily convertable) fluffbooks to go with it. Those I'll buy.

Runefang over on StS says the v3 is good. That should account for something. And the v2-grognards should pay him some attention before going ballistic. Myself, I'm carefully optimistic happy.gif

So far I think it looks very interesting as well and definately plan to buy it.

I hope they reveal more about the system and how to use those wacky new dice soon as that really intrigues me.

42!

I totally agree. Remember rolemaster and merp where you had to have a calculator to do combat and it took for ever with all those charts. Not a way to spend your RPG session :-). RPGs are about athmosphere and things formed by peoples' imagination. If everything i layed out, you stop imagining and it becomes boring...

Okay, after first seeing the bulletin, and then mulling it over after seeing the Gen Con video this is what I think...

As well as appearing to be a new direction it also reminds of the old layout for the early WFB box set, as well as the third edition (or is that the 4th?). The way the books are broken up into mechanics, magic, gods of the Old World (etc.) and the GM's books certainly feels as though it has a lot in common. In a way it feels as the 3rd edition is actually borrowing from WFB, what with the introduction of the use of cards, which is perhaps not a bad thing in itself.

The one recurring problem that crept up in the 2nd edition was the increasing complexity with the magic system which put a lot of the players off, or eventually gave the GM a headache when it came to keeping tack of all the PC/NPC spellcasters (is said Wizard PC following the Cardinal, Elemental or Mystical path of the Lore of XX?). Hopefully in the 3rd edition the magic has been streamlined seeing as their is apparently coverage of Wood Elf and High Wizards after reading the product page.

I think its a bold step for WFRP...and daresay a brave one...kudos for FFG to borrow from the source material, which is in this case a TT wargame.

Will I be buying it?

Hard to say...having too much fun right now GM'ing/playing Dark Heresy...and will probably continue with Rogue Trader when I get my pre-ordered copy.

Rictus

It's not borrowing anything from the current wargame. It uses no cards of any kind, the closest are templates. They consolidated all their cards etc INTO books because of the problems inherent with carrying them all around.

Not sure how the magic point system was less complicated than the 2nd ed system either.

Hellebore

Armrek said:

I totally agree. Remember rolemaster and merp where you had to have a calculator to do combat and it took for ever with all those charts. Not a way to spend your RPG session :-). RPGs are about athmosphere and things formed by peoples' imagination. If everything i layed out, you stop imagining and it becomes boring...

I still run RoleMaster (RMSS and RMC) and I've yet to see the need for a calculator. I admit looking at charts can break the flow if the players don't help out. I've yet to find a mechanically 'light' game that I or my players have really enjoyed (Shadowrun 2nd/3rd, HackMaster, Palladium, Alternity, RoleMaster).

We say bring back our crunch.