Any GenCon/retail version reports?

By Claven, in Rogue Trader

Does anyone who was at GenCon already have the full RT corebook?

If so, can you share your impressions? Any news would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

Im also interested in this. Since it will probably take a while for my Collectors Edition to reach sweden. sad.gif

nope. it seems that everybody is all jizzed up about that new board game - WFRP or something like that ;)

Cat that Walked by Himself said:

nope. it seems that everybody is all jizzed up about that new board game - WFRP or something like that ;)

LMAO yeah I mean in 35 years nothing like it has ever seen my dice nope nope, can't say that I heard of it before :P New skaven for the win and i digress.

Some tidbits eh?

Well in character creation there is now an Origin Path system that provides more choices than just homeworld (though that's still the main one) It also provides an opportunity for your party to share common backstory.

Several old talents have been fixed or buffed. Such as Bulging Biceps also allows you to ignore the penalty for firing unbraced.

Hideously scary weapons include the Storm Bolter (Which will hit you 4 times due to the Storm quality) and the Harelquins Kiss.

There are also newly buffed Plasma and Meltaguns.

Also Digital Weapons and Suspensors which are insanely powerful.

Psykers are using a heavily revised system and Navigators use a different system again and don't have psy ratings.

Hidaowin said:

Some tidbits eh?

Well in character creation there is now an Origin Path system that provides more choices than just homeworld (though that's still the main one) It also provides an opportunity for your party to share common backstory.

Several old talents have been fixed or buffed. Such as Bulging Biceps also allows you to ignore the penalty for firing unbraced.

Hideously scary weapons include the Storm Bolter (Which will hit you 4 times due to the Storm quality) and the Harelquins Kiss.

There are also newly buffed Plasma and Meltaguns.

Also Digital Weapons and Suspensors which are insanely powerful.

Psykers are using a heavily revised system and Navigators use a different system again and don't have psy ratings.

Can you stat those weapons for us?

Assuming its kosher I'll pop them up, but if its a problem I'll drop them down.

Storm Bolter

Basic 90m S/2/4 1d10+5 pen 4 Clip 60 Storm Tearing

Storm doubles the amount of hits inflicted on the target. Thus on full auto 1 degree of success means 2 additional hits.

Harlequins Kiss

1d10 +8 pen 10 Tearing

No strength bonus to damage.

More interested in the origin paths/character creation then weaposn/gear.

How easy to use with the real game of Dark Heresy LOL.

more! more! we hunger for info! feed us!

I must admit that RT will probably be THE 40K roleplay (edit: for me). I can not imagine ANY Warhammer world without black humour and greed and unlikely heroism.

Hidaowin said:

I'd love to hear a little more about this, especially about the revisions to the psy system.

Alright quickly before I head out to the Con.

Looks straightforward to use the origins with Dark Heresy.

Book looks beautiful.

In brief psychic powers now sometimes require a willpower test to activate. Before you test willpower (usually with a healthy bonus due to your Psy Rating) yoyou decide on Fettered (half psy rating) Unfettered (full psy rating) and Push (where you can add 1-3/4 Psy rating).

Fettered is safe to use but the other two come at increased chance of Perils of the Warp. It is further divided into Astopaths and Sanctioned Psykers being bettter off than Renegade psykers and Sorcerers.

There are also conversion notes to and from the Dark Heresy system if you prefer either.

Right more later.

Hidaowin said:

This sounds interesting. Im glad that the Navigators don't have psy ratings, because they aren't really psykers, but more of a genetically engineered mutant that can see and understand the warp. In order to be a psyker you have to be able to channel the warp to the real world and this isn't something that navigators can do.

I´m curious about origin paths, couldn´t you describe it little bit closer? It sounds intresting (and DH-implementable I hope), I also think of using "RT fixed" talents for Dark Heresy, oh, and can you add some more sneak peaks of the new equipment, please? Stormbolter is something for my stormtrooper and recently established acolyte-subcell leader (as would troper said, authority equals asskicking:D)

Hidaowin said:

In brief psychic powers now sometimes require a willpower test to activate. Before you test willpower (usually with a healthy bonus due to your Psy Rating) yoyou decide on Fettered (half psy rating) Unfettered (full psy rating) and Push (where you can add 1-3/4 Psy rating).

Fettered is safe to use but the other two come at increased chance of Perils of the Warp. It is further divided into Astopaths and Sanctioned Psykers being bettter off than Renegade psykers and Sorcerers.

There are also conversion notes to and from the Dark Heresy system if you prefer either.

[insert string of violent curses that would brake forum standards all to pieces] Now I have to get the bloody game just for the new psyker rules!

If FFG really hates me they'll release Deathwatch with rules for classless/levelless play.

I had a feeling this game was going to have a greater sense of comradery then DH did. I am intrigued about this Origin stuff and shared background. Altough I always force a zero level session to force the players to meet on other terms rather than oh here you are conviently all in a bar ;)

The Origin paths are a chart that starts at Homeworld, and ends at Motivation, although a casual read makes it appear that Careers are part of it. DON'T BE FOOLED.

Here's how it looks

Homeworlds A B C D, etc

Birthrights A B C D, etc

Lure of the Void A B C D, etc

Trials and Travails A B C D etc

Motivation A B C D etc

Here's how it works

Choose a homeworld, then choose a birthright that is directly below the homeworld on the chart, or adjacent to the option directly below it. Rinse and repeat.

Example

A player picks homeworld A. He may take Birthright A or B, and selects B. He may Select Lures A B or C, and selects C. He may now take Trials B C or D. He selects Trial B, and may finish off with motivation A B or C.

RocketPropelledGrenade said:

The Origin paths are a chart that starts at Homeworld, and ends at Motivation, although a casual read makes it appear that Careers are part of it. DON'T BE FOOLED.

Here's how it looks

Homeworlds A B C D, etc

Birthrights A B C D, etc

Motivation A B C D etc

Here's how it works

Choose a homeworld, then choose a birthright that is directly below the homeworld on the chart, or adjacent to the option directly below it. Rinse and repeat.

Example

A player picks homeworld A. He may take Birthright A or B, and selects B. He may Select Lures A B or C, and selects C. He may now take Trials B C or D. He selects Trial B, and may finish off with motivation A B or C.

Interest, I can't wait for the publisher to start cracking copies out then. On a related note, what kind of rules are there for xenos of the Kronus Expanse?

Note- the Origins path is mainly for quick starting characters. You can still choose freely from the paths if your GM allows.

At first glance the system for origins looked kinda goofy. After going through a few trees, it looks and feels much better. Much better than in DH IMO.

RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Here's how it looks

Homeworlds A B C D, etc

Birthrights A B C D, etc

Motivation A B C D etc

Here's how it works

Example

Seems pretty straightforward.

Cheers fro the clarification by the way drgabe.

I'd surmised it would be a GM call to do.

Dagnabit, waiting on the slow boat for freight is going to test my patience now... ;)

Ross has said he will put the origins chart up on the website soon (because it is much easier used when you can draw on it.) It would definitely be DH-implementable, Peacekeeper.

I am very taken with it, and the profit factor system. I fully expect to see many, many home brews for using profit factor in Dark Heresy come out, since many of us are not fond of counting thrones in that game.

The new psy system is... very different. I don't really feel positively or negatively about it, just again, it is different. (Though interestingly enough, is largely the same powers.) Really, it seems like they wanted a system that complemented the more action-oriented, less investigative nature of RT vs. DH. There is a sidebar on converting from one to the other, but I would be inclined to use them exactly as they are: the DH system for DH, and the RT system for RT.

I am still working my way through the ships section.

Psion- there are very few rules for xenos. Really the only additional alien race we haven't seen before is a Kroot. (There is an Eldar and an Ork as well.) Basically, it has been hinted in recent interviews that we can expect to see a full book on aliens (including using them as PC's) next year.

This all sounds awesome, cant wait for my collectors edition to get here...*prays to the powers of chaos to make it hurry up*

I like the new character creation system, the characters you can create are much more powerful than dark heresy's starting characters. I Created an Explorator character yesterday and after purchasing a BS upgrade with my starting 500xp to spend, he had a 50 BS at level one.

The ship rules are fabulous, I finally have something more concrete for my games i run with star ships. There is a huge reason for dark heresy GMs to buy the new rulebook.

The xenos covered are orks, eldar, kroot and another one i think i cant remember.

Kroot! Woo what are they like?

Lanowar said:

Kroot! Woo what are they like?

Unnatural strength, unnatural perception. Natural weapon (beak), talents focused around speed.

Do the Kroot have a special agenda of some kind somewhere within the Koronus-Expanse ? Will we see a remote Kroot-colony, a shipwrecked Warsphere, a Rogue-Trader-Dynasty that brought them to the Expanse as "Hired Guns" or something like that? Or are they included without any stronger ties to the Expanse ?