No Halflings!

By ultimateigor, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

This was touched on before but I'd just like to bring it up again. It would appear that the 4 races available in this new game are human, dwarf, high elf and wood elf.

No halflings is enough reason, in and of itself, for me to not even contemplate getting into this game.

And no, I'm not joking on this one. It's one of the reasons I've never got into Warcraft and one of the reasons I don't like Dragonlance as a background. To me, halflings should be an integral part of any decent fantasy setting. And more importantly, they ARE an integral part of the Warhammer background, especially if it's centred on the Empire (as 2nd Ed was and 3rd Ed seems to be).

For any game that claims to be "a new, exciting way to experience the popular Warhammer Fantasy setting", they've missed a large part of the point for me.

ChaosChild said:

This was touched on before but I'd just like to bring it up again. It would appear that the 4 races available in this new game are human, dwarf, high elf and wood elf.

No halflings is enough reason, in and of itself, for me to not even contemplate getting into this game.

And no, I'm not joking on this one. It's one of the reasons I've never got into Warcraft and one of the reasons I don't like Dragonlance as a background. To me, halflings should be an integral part of any decent fantasy setting. And more importantly, they ARE an integral part of the Warhammer background, especially if it's centred on the Empire (as 2nd Ed was and 3rd Ed seems to be).

For any game that claims to be "a new, exciting way to experience the popular Warhammer Fantasy setting", they've missed a large part of the point for me.

Although I didn't play halflings seriously, I always enjoyed and encouraged their presence. I will customize it to return halflings.

But why do we need two representatives of the same race of elves?? I never liked them, anyway - for their muchkinism, especially in v1 :)

No halflings in Warhammer is one more reason for me to buy this.

Halflings in a grim and gritty fantasy setting = bad.

Claven said:

No halflings in Warhammer is one more reason for me to buy this.

Halflings in a grim and gritty fantasy setting = bad.

Well Warhammer halflings are unremitting bastards. They aren't exactly hobbits.

Hellebore

I know, but I still avoid them in my WFRP sessions anyway i can. The Hobbit association is too strong in most players.

What, not even halfling crime lords and slimy second-hand horse salesmen?

I'll admit to not having liked halflings when I first started, but I've grown to like their greasy, grubby ways. And a version of WHFRP without even the option to play as one seems a little bizarre.

So they finally nuked the Moot....jeeeej!

High Elves and Wood Elves? It ihas always been part of the setting, that there aren't any different sub-species of Elves! They are the same! Only culture and habitat distinguishes them from each other. The Druchii isn't the WFRP equivilant of the Drow! I think it is great that you can now play High Elves, but making it a different race AND excluding the unique WFRP-race in the process is just wrong.

The Halfling and the Moot are icons of the WFRP setting. My players have made numerous visits into different cities kleinmoots to talk to different kinds of Halfling, ranging from the thieving sort to the evil Mootfia-crimelord who used to sell his enemies in meatpies!

On this point FFG missed the mark, what's next? No small but vicious dog?

I think that the 2 flavors of elves that they put in appeal to more gamers than the halfling. While I think they have a place in the world, and a player base to justify including them. Halfling lovers are out numbered like a thousand to one. Its just business. And one i'm thankful for. No one I game with plays halflings, they are always props in the city adventures.

I imagine as the line develops you will see them again, probally with an Ogre PC as well. Who knows maybe they will ressurect the gnomes again too!!!

Removing halflings is bad idea, but making two "different" elf races is equally weird.

I'm actually happy, I don't like halflings, if i had to pay for cards, character sheets, and all the stuff FFG puts in a box for halfling characters i'd consider it a waste of my money. Like i said none of my friends in all the years i've played warhammer ever played halflings, and have never been more than a mention in most games "wheres theres muck theres halflings"

If the product didn't cost so much i would'nt care, but being it does i'm glad there out. 2 flavors of elves is way better than adding a halfling.

I'm sorry halfling lovers not enough of you to justify the cost of production vs. demand. Maybe later, but not on an initial release. Very smart by FFG. Frugal. And thanks FFG for not wasting my money on halflings, cuz wheres there's muck there's halflings!@!! lol

I hate halflings. Basically, everyone I've ever met who played one essentially played a carbon copy of Tasslehoff from Dragonlance.

i.e: a cute, annoying kleptomaniac character who's player who complains that he shouldn't have to make a Fear test.

For an entirely personal reason, I say: GOOD RIDDANCE.

Yes lets also kill of other parts of the backround, like the dark elves. What a load of pansies! For a personal reason of course.

See the Halflings are trying to steal their way into the game!!! and pinch my pockets! Don't let them, I say we march on the moot and burn it down !!!

Anonymus said:

Yes lets also kill of other parts of the backround, like the dark elves. What a load of pansies! For a personal reason of course.

They did it with Squats, I don't see why they can't just do the same with hobbits- er oops I mean halflings . gui%C3%B1o.gif

I think that it's a good thing to free the setting from the shackles of Tolkien-esque fantasy clichés.

The squats and halfling does'nt even play in the same league. squats was dropped after 1st ed 40k. halflings are still around in 7th edition WHF. ;) So sorry.

Anonymus said:

The squats and halfling does'nt even play in the same league. squats was dropped after 1st ed 40k. halflings are still around in 7th edition WHF. ;) So sorry.

Space Dwarves with machine guns are still cooler than fat hobbits with slings.

I'm sorry, but my argument wins.

Necrozius said:

Anonymus said:

They did it with Squats, I don't see why they can't just do the same with hobbits- er oops I mean halflings . gui%C3%B1o.gif

I think that it's a good thing to free the setting from the shackles of Tolkien-esque fantasy clichés.

We should probably get rid of the orcs, goblins, trolls, elves, dwarfs, dragons, and ogres too while we're at it. Or are we only getting rid of the Tolkien-esque fantasy clichés YOU don't like?

However, you'd be thoroughly mistaken if you think halflings are actually being removed from Warhammer. They are still in the Empire Army book printed by GW and it is only they that can remove elements from the background.

Hellebore

Which argument? Maybe you should elaborate instead of throwing around wierd comments?

Hellebore said:

We should probably get rid of the orcs, goblins, trolls, elves, dwarfs, dragons, and ogres too while we're at it. Or are we only getting rid of the Tolkien-esque fantasy clichés YOU don't like?

However, you'd be thoroughly mistaken if you think halflings are actually being removed from Warhammer. They are still in the Empire Army book printed by GW and it is only they that can remove elements from the background.

Come to think of it, I don't really like Orcs in Warhammer. Born from fungus? Ha ha ha ha.

The Orcs in World of Warcraft make much more sense. The ones in Harry Potter too.

Necrozius said:

Hellebore said:

Come to think of it, I don't really like Orcs in Warhammer. Born from fungus? Ha ha ha ha.

The Orcs in World of Warcraft make much more sense. The ones in Harry Potter too.

Lol, the woe is me misunderstood green barbarians? Awesome. Painting some human barbarian tribes green and enslaving them to daemons makes them very interesting. bostezo.gif

The only reason the orc exists in settings like WoW and D&D is to create a 'human' that it's 'ok' to kill. They are just tribal ugly humans. At least Warhammer's orcs are a little more different than that. They are their own race with their own mindset. Alien rather than misunderstood.

Hellebore

Necrozius said:

Hellebore said:

Necrozius said:

Hellebore said:

In the end, it is still more original. hahaha

Hellebore said:

Lol, the woe is me misunderstood green barbarians? Awesome. Painting some human barbarian tribes green and enslaving them to daemons makes them very interesting. bostezo.gif

The only reason the orc exists in settings like WoW and D&D is to create a 'human' that it's 'ok' to kill. They are just tribal ugly humans. At least Warhammer's orcs are a little more different than that. They are their own race with their own mindset. Alien rather than misunderstood.

Hellebore

Orcs have a mindset? partido_risa.gif

Mayhap you're dislike of them has prevented you actually reading anything about them.

Hellebore

Er sorry- I'm actually just trolling you. I couldn't care less about orcs or halflings.