Pirates of the Caribbean... In space!

By Varnias Tybalt, in Rogue Trader

Graver said:

Thrones 'n bones! : a mildly heretical curse (all good curses are after all ;-) ) used when making an exclamation. Used in place of the "**** it" curses; ex "Oh thrones 'n bones! What in th' Eye are you talking about?!"

I wish I'd thought of those - "Thrones 'n bones" is my favourite by far.

Ive been contimplating several diffrent things for my up comming RT games. One that has kinda been sitting there avasting at me is the idea of basing either some form of pirate captain or some sort of rogue rogue trader on Edward Teach (AKA black beard) havent worked out details yet.

I second the vote for 'thrones and bones'. In fact, I think I'll try and start using it in real life.

Malkavianmadman said:

Ive been contimplating several diffrent things for my up comming RT games. One that has kinda been sitting there avasting at me is the idea of basing either some form of pirate captain or some sort of rogue rogue trader on Edward Teach (AKA black beard) havent worked out details yet.

Given Thatch's (Teach's) penchant for putting fuses in his beard and lighting them before a raid, it appears the good folks at FFG are a step ahead of you:
char3-big.jpg
Though arguments have been made (and there is no documentation) that Blackbeard never killed anyone in his acts of piracy, which could make for an interesting character - fearsome exterior and reputation but actually soft hearted.

Leopold Cygnus said:

Though arguments have been made (and there is no documentation) that Blackbeard never killed anyone in his acts of piracy, which could make for an interesting character - fearsome exterior and reputation but actually soft hearted.

I sense a Ciaphas Cain dilemma here. gran_risa.gif

What would be an appropriate familiar for the pirate captain to have ?

deamon parrot of course. with cybernetics and 2 heads

Malkavianmadman said:

deamon parrot of course. with cybernetics and 2 heads

Hehe:

"Look!" *BANG!* "An undead monkey... err I mean: a daemon parrot!" gran_risa.gif

Varnias Tybalt said:

Leopold Cygnus said:
I'm with you 100% on the space battles, it's just too bad nobody will be using a line to swing from one ship to the other... though I suppose you can have a hungry void whale chase the ship and try to swallow it and the crew whole (and maybe succeed)!

Wait, wait! I just figured it out!

Boarding parties outfitted with void-suit, hanging on to wires attached to a sort of rocket-propelled magnetic grapling hook fired from outside of the ship. The rocket is guided to impact with the enemy vessel and latching on to the hull, providing the void suited boarer an opportunity to plant melta charges and enter the enemy vessel from the outside.

Can't you just imagine crazed boarding parties using this method when they don't have access to proper assault craft or teleportation technology? (I mean assault craft is expensive and it takes up valuable space for ammunition for the ship weaponry, and teleportation is a very rare form of travel exclusive to the Inquisition, The Astartes and the Adeptus Mechanicus)

That way, we actually CAN have boarders using a line (of sorts) to "swing" from one ship to the other!

Sometimes, I just love the way I think.

Varnias Tybalt said:

Nullius said:

The real question is exactly how much pirate-talk is too much for a rogue trader game...

"Avast and ahoy, ye space-dogs, I'll tan yer scurvy skins and throw 'em over the gunnels if I hear ye speak another word about that Emperor-Damned Planet 'o Gold. I swear upon me old papi's eyes! Now tie down that cargo and prepare to heave-to, Thrusters at maximum, ye scallawags, ye insubordinate ork-sons! We sail out with the warp-tide!"

In my opinion, there can NEVER be "too much" pirate-talk in a game of Rogue Trader. Especially considering how both high gothic and low gothic are derivatives of English (the british english that is, which the pirates of british imperial origin spoke), along with a blend of pig-latin. So colourful piratey lingo is more than okay in my book.

Come to think of it, perhaps we should group together and compile a list of piratey slangs and expressions commonly used by the more unsavory Rogue Traders out there?

Oi! You orbital inbreds! Fire-up the warp engine and go kick the Navigator into work, lest I'll have your scurvy ridden hides as a carpet! Savvy!?

lol all sorts of things, robotic parot, robotic monkey. Servitor cherub that acts like the monkey in the movie. Or hell an actual parot. You could do a xenos species that is similar to a bird but can do other things, like jsut straight up talk. Hah, like Iago in Aladin.

Terminus_Est said:

lol all sorts of things, robotic parot, robotic monkey. Servitor cherub that acts like the monkey in the movie. Or hell an actual parot. You could do a xenos species that is similar to a bird but can do other things, like jsut straight up talk. Hah, like Iago in Aladin.

I got it! How about a parrot body being used as a daemonhost, to house a small malignant entity from the warp. Preferably a tzeentchian entity as to provide the parrot body with a multitude of sickening colours and a foul temper. But because it is thrice bound it will stay relatively loyal to the bad-ass pirate captain.

And when he says: "Polly want a cracker?" to his daemonic pet, it doesn't involve baked food. It involves the daemon parrot to be allowed biting the fingers of an insuborinate ship rating making a CRACKING sound as the fingerbones snap. demonio.gif

Varnias Tybalt said:

Terminus_Est said:

I got it! How about a parrot body being used as a daemonhost, to house a small malignant entity from the warp. Preferably a tzeentchian entity as to provide the parrot body with a multitude of sickening colours and a foul temper. But because it is thrice bound it will stay relatively loyal to the bad-ass pirate captain.

And when he says: "Polly want a cracker?" to his daemonic pet, it doesn't involve baked food. It involves the daemon parrot to be allowed biting the fingers of an insuborinate ship rating making a CRACKING sound as the fingerbones snap. demonio.gif

You sir are my new creative god. That said im stealing that idea :P

Malkavianmadman said:

You sir are my new creative god. That said im stealing that idea :P

Thank you.

You see this is how my mind works. I can hyperfocus on pretty intricate ideas and extrapolate upon them to absurd levels. The problems arise when I try to create scenarios and campaigns for RPG's, because it can be really hard to get a complete "overall" sense of all these tidbits of ideas and create a coherent scenario out of it. serio.gif

So while I feel pretty adept att creating a multitude of dots (heck, it's not even an active action on my part. it all just comes to me), and very shiny and bright dots sometimes. It's really hard to try and connect them to eachother...

Varnias Tybalt said:

That is just awesome.

The other thing is, it can again have the attitude of Iago and be so angry that it is bound and always threaten the captain of its impending escape (future plot device). Or it can be a reluctant hero but always acts as the voice of reason / be a severe pessimist. Hah and when it escpaes I can imagine it stuffing crackers down someone's throat until they die >.>; Hell you could have it as a weird bird they think is Xenos and it is actually a bound spirit and as they start cluing in on it they mysteriously end up dead. No one has a clue as to why the crew are dying and can't seem to find any traces of foot steps etc... since it is hte parrot doing it!

All sorts of things you can derive from a concept like that. I think if i were to do a bound spirt familiar I think I would do it like Bob from Dreseden Files.

I think you can be a Pirate or a priveteer in RT. Reason for this is a letter of Marquee from a Imperial Gov, sactioned merchant war or a war between Navigator houses imho.