Lack of Manuever decks in Fire form the sky

By afilter, in Wings of War (WWII)

I noticed the new set "Fire from the Sky" seems to have less than the previous
"Dawn of War".

I may be wrong, but I thought DoW came with a total of 8 manuever decks
(A,B,C,D) with two of each. The new set only has 6 (E,F,G,H) one each and two
"I" decks. Why less mauever decks? I also noticed the retail price went up a
bit. To me the box seemed a bit empty when I opened it.

Why less decks. The two "I" decks makes sense, but why not more for the
fighters? I would thik the Hurricane and P-40 will be pretty popular. As it
stands you can only fly one at a time with the current set.

Does anyone know if there will be more squardron packs with the (E,F,G,H) decks?

TIA,

Aaron

Oops, I stand corrected, I just checked the DoW rule book and I guess there are
only six decks of maneuver cards. I guess it just seemed like more with only 4
deck types. I also have both squadron packs to boost up the DoW planes.

Hopefully we will see squadron packs for the Fire from the sky set soon.

Aaron

I've noticed that the maneuver decks for the P-40C (E deck I think) and the P-40E (H deck) are the same except the H deck has an additional slip card set. If you need two E decks you could take out the extra cards in the H deck and viola'!

I guess most players will buy the models and get extra set of cards with them.

If you plan to play without models or buy pewter planes (possibly in another scale like 1/300 or 1/144) you will probably be forced to buy another box.

I can see the logic in getting planes in another scale actually. 1/300 is a good alternative scale for scenarios with a lot of big bombers and many players in. The planes are cheap so running larger scenarios in that scale and smaller in the official ones isn't a bad idea. A B-17 is large enough in 1/300...

I am still playing Wow but when I am done with my current campaign I will probably start DOW, most likely with the official planes even though I am also considering 1/144, I just like that scale. :)

There are some WWII planes in 1/144 scale, not many but there are B-17's B24's, B25's, B26's and B29's and the prices are not bad.

They wouldn't come with cards but I am sure a person could make do. . .

Mayhemmac said:

There are some WWII planes in 1/144 scale, not many but there are B-17's B24's, B25's, B26's and B29's and the prices are not bad.

They wouldn't come with cards but I am sure a person could make do. . .

There are actually at least as many as in 1/200... The bombers are particularly easy to find in 1/144. An google search will give you lot of pages, here is one japanese with many nice planes: www.japanesemodelmuseum.com/id2.html Prepainted and I must say they look very tempting :) , and they arenot at all expensive.

70078L2.jpg

Those pictured are actually 1/144 and the official WoW models are 1/200. The only reliable 1/200 line I have found that are resonable on price are the AIR200 models.

DSCN0921.jpg

Here are the cards I use someone made on another site:

B17proto.jpg

carte-B17-3-deplacements.jpg

HTH,

Aaron

afilter said:

Those pictured are actually 1/144 and the official WoW models are 1/200. The only reliable 1/200 line I have found that are resonable on price are the AIR200 models.

Yes I know that.

There are several other good sources for 1/200 like Action 200 To mention one £5,50 for a fighter and somewhat more for a bomber is a humane price. Not that I actually own any of them yet or anything.

I don't see any problem playing DOW in 1/144 or 1/300 and all 3 scales have a lot of planes. The advantage of 1/200 is that you can use the official models of course but 1/300 is a good compliment if you want massive missions with a lot of heavy bombers (and the models are cheap, planes cost £2-7 so it isn't a huge investment). 1/144 looks great but is best for smaller planes since bombers tend to be both expensive and take up a lot of storage space.

Hello Aaron, could you tell me where you got the cards from? They look great. Thanks

Tom