Would I like this game?

By The Legendary Jack Slayer, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

The novels that this game is based on are some of my favourite books ever. On that basis would I like this game?

The card game captures the feel a little more if you are just looking for theme. If you would enjoy marching armies across Westeros and betraying your friends, then you will probably like it. If you want a game where you roll dice, maybe not. I think the expansions help make it feel more like the books, but there are a few details that annoy, like Renly being on Stannis's side rather than crowned by Tyrell. Also, you should know that 5 player games are the ideal with the base set, so make sure you can get that many to play now and then.

I ADORE the books and bought this game immediately when it came out. Hated the game and got rid of it as soon as possible. That's not to say you might not enjoy the game. I'm just saying that a love of the books isn't nearly enough reason to buy this.

Trump said:

I ADORE the books and bought this game immediately when it came out. Hated the game and got rid of it as soon as possible. That's not to say you might not enjoy the game. I'm just saying that a love of the books isn't nearly enough reason to buy this.

What he said.

Spike1382 said:

The card game captures the feel a little more if you are just looking for theme. If you would enjoy marching armies across Westeros and betraying your friends, then you will probably like it. If you want a game where you roll dice, maybe not. I think the expansions help make it feel more like the books, but there are a few details that annoy, like Renly being on Stannis's side rather than crowned by Tyrell. Also, you should know that 5 player games are the ideal with the base set, so make sure you can get that many to play now and then.

I agree that the card game is wonderful and has a great mechanism to it.

I also enjoyed the board game tremendously. I have found that it plays better when there are more players involved and it reminds me a little of Diplomacy, but it has a better feel to it. A lot has to do with placement and strategy and it captures that side of the story/book in this game which I loved.

the board game quite honestly derives only two things from the books with actual note, which are the "House Cards" and the actual board map. However, I fear that is that enough for full-scale immersion with the familiar and much-loved world of AGoT. After all is said and done, this is a strategy game - not a roleplaying game, and there is little fluff text to be had and little derived from the litterature past the abilities of each house card - and even then, not entirely up to theme.

The LCG would be a much better choice to playes who would rather choose to immerse themselves and feel their own "involvment" in the world of AGoT - and it's also great fun to play with rather entertaining mechanics.

If you enjoy games such as RiskDiplomacyChess - then you WILL enjoy the AGoT boardgame regardless. Just remember that the theme is not what it puts it's emphasis on.

Me and a couple of my friends who love the novels also like the game. That's why I actually bought it. But I should agree with what was said above - there's no straight link between the books and AGoTtBG. Gonna try AGoT LCG tomorrow and say if there more of George Martin's amazing books' spirit.

sounds neat! gui%C3%B1o.gif

I agree with the other posters. The theme seems to be a vehicle for the game mechanics. The flavor text is limited to short quotes or descriptions here and there. It does, however, attempt to simulate the power struggles happening in the books. If that appealed to you in the books, then you may find it interesting to play that out in a game format. But, as another poster said, if you're not a fan of Risk/Diplomacy type games then maybe the LCG would be a better bet.

Sounds like I might need to pick it up too, I love the books and love Risk.

A Game of Thrones was one of the first games I played when I joined my board gaming group, and I took to it immediately. At that point I had never read any of the books. It was the mechanics and gameplay that enticed me; the theme, while interesting, was not a deep and immerse experience. However, my love of the game was what ultimately pushed me to start the series.

As has been mentioned by previous posters, AGoT is a re-theming of Diplomacy with several tweaks to the gameplay mechanics. The LCG will put you more in mind of the books: the characters, settings, items and events of the books are far better represented in the card game. However, the board game is the better gaming experience, in my opinion. My experience of the LCG was such that it is over-long for what it was. Immersive, yes, but, as opposed to the board game, the theme dominates the gameplay, and the game suffers because of it. It is not a fatal flaw, for I still enjoy the LCG. The board game is just a more solid gaming experience.

Will you like the game simply because you love the books? There is no honest or reasonable way to answer your question. Find a friend who has it, or take a risk (it is Christmas time!) and try it and see. We can only tell you why we like it or dislike it. Only you can tell us if you like AGoT.

Good luck!

Toqtamish said:

Sounds like I might need to pick it up too, I love the books and love Risk.

Then pass. This game won't do much to recapture your love for the books and it's not played anything like Risk. :)

Well instead of thinking of thebooks, if you like risk or any type of risk you would like this. I myself bought the game two weeks ago and have played it for more that 36 hours. The new twists such as the consolidation of armies due to your supply, the hiding of oders to even your allies keeps every one on their toes,( my twin and I can't trust each other). I bought the card game too, but took it back after playing the board game. The card game was more like magic and we already played magic so we figured that we would play the board game more than the card game. Like many have said It could not be to your liking, so I consider going to a game store near you and ask them if you could play test it first or go to a game preserve because they give a 100% money back garunteed if you don't like it. (wich I was happy for because of the card game I returned).

Being played nothing like risk is a pretty blunt statement. If you were asked by another person what other game this plays like, it would most likely be risk because it is such a easy global definition of a dice domination board game.

haha commenting back on my own comment, there are no dice in the game of thrones game. whoops.

Futatsu said:

Being played nothing like risk is a pretty blunt statement. If you were asked by another person what other game this plays like, it would most likely be risk because it is such a easy global definition of a dice domination board game.

Granted, if I were talking to a non-gamer I'd have very little else to compare it too, but making a bad comparison is just setting the game up for failure. This isn't like Risk and there's no connection between enjoying Risk and enjoying this game.

AGoT is a re-theming of Diplomacy with several tweaks

Not being familiiar with the books, but really loving Diplomacy, this comment intrigued me. Sounds like I might like to give it a try.

I think that's a pretty good summarisation of the game. I would also say it's a very deep game, strategically, which i would typically only recommend with experienced board gamers.

I love the board game. I love the books. The game is a lot of fun and easy to play. I also have the expansions, clash of kings allow you to play six houses. Storm of swords, uses a diffrent map and has more of the flavor from the book.

Buy the game you will enjoy it.

I always describe the game as a multi-facet chess game. It has conquering aspects like Risk, but it is ultimately up to the maneuvering of the armies that wins the game.

If you like tactical, multi-turn building plans then this game is one of the best.

Right. As you said, the game is won on the battlefield. In our group there are made hardly any bigger agreements or treaties that go further than one or two explicit actions, after we had played maybe five games. Because one truth about it is: Trust means Loss. I dont know Diplomacy, but if it is about what it says, there is just marginal similarity to AGoT. Primary means are "violence" and surprise, what makes it exactly the chess type of game you described.

EDIT: My wife has another opinion on this. She has done great games while using her skills on taking diplomatic influence. "Divide et impera" is maybe the female choice of facing inevitable conflicts, you know ^^. So this always depends on the personality of the players and sociological factors of the group.

(If she reads this, it will really challenge my diplomatic skills afterwards. ;-X)