Movement Between Blocking Obstacles

By Trump281, in Doom

I understand I can cut corners when moving, but can I do that if there's a blocking obstacle at the corner?

BA

CB

B = Blocking obstacles

Can I move from A to C? I've seen it done both ways in games and I'm not sure what Doom intends. I think Doom allows this movement though.

And the answer is.... yes you can move between them.

So why did I answer my own question? :) I thought to search the Descent messages and I found the question there. I'm pretty sure Doom would follow that same rule.

Trump is right in answering Trump's question. In the expansion there are maps with areas connected as so, and if diagonal movement between obstacles isn't allowed, the plasma guns are not pickable the whole game.

Knuckles Eki said:

Trump is right in answering Trump's question. In the expansion there are maps with areas connected as so, and if diagonal movement between obstacles isn't allowed, the plasma guns are not pickable the whole game.

Oh, they are - see the rocket launchers next to that room? lengua.gif

Which arises the question wether a marine can try to commit suicide w/o blast weapons, when trapped. gran_risa.gif (melee weapons don't work, they only affect adjacent spaces)

...no, but seriously: I don't think there's something in the rules which prevents you from moving diagonnally between blocking obstacles, so I suppose it's ok. gui%C3%B1o.gif

You can trace line of sight diagonally between two obstacles, so I always took that to mean that you could move diagonally. Remember, "corners don't count."

And I am sorry to dig that topic out from the past, but that's better than creating a new one :

Has the question about "big monster squeezing between two obstacles (or at least one and a wall)" already been answered here as in Descent ? I said no so far to the idea of squeezing in Doom, but tonight we kind of had a doubt.

First of all, let me commend you for using this old thread. If more people would take the time to look for an answer before asking a question and then putting their question into a highly related thread, these message boards would be a lot easier to read AND search through.

And your answer...

I confess that I don't want to go dig up the rulebook and FAQ to be certain of my answer, but I'd say the squeezing you're suggesting is not allowed. You don't fully explain what you mean though. Basically, I move a large creature once, make sure its base is "legal", move it again, etc. If squeezing would mean that part of the base would ever not be on the map, then it's illegal.

Yo Trump, and thanks for the compliment. Fully agree with you.

I agree with you but I'll ask you to dig more into your explanations, regarding your last words : "not on the map" is not exactly what I meant, let us say that at its beginning a 2x2 monster is in four free spaces, and one then two spaces away he wanna go, to a four spaces samely free place. BUT in the middle of this "journey", there is a 1x1 obstacle, say, a wall (the ones that flying monsters in Descent can walk on). That means that in the very first move, it will have three of its squares in free spaces, but the last one on the obstacle. That's what I Meant by squeeze. It is not allowed, right ? A big monster must always have its entire spaces in free squares, I'm sure ? Or is it its half at least.... ****, I forgot.

Hem said:

Yo Trump, and thanks for the compliment. Fully agree with you.

I agree with you but I'll ask you to dig more into your explanations, regarding your last words : "not on the map" is not exactly what I meant, let us say that at its beginning a 2x2 monster is in four free spaces, and one then two spaces away he wanna go, to a four spaces samely free place. BUT in the middle of this "journey", there is a 1x1 obstacle, say, a wall (the ones that flying monsters in Descent can walk on). That means that in the very first move, it will have three of its squares in free spaces, but the last one on the obstacle. That's what I Meant by squeeze. It is not allowed, right ? A big monster must always have its entire spaces in free squares, I'm sure ? Or is it its half at least.... ****, I forgot.

Yes, the monster must always have its entire base on free spaces. In this context, "free spaces" means anything you're normally allowed to move through, which need not be empty spaces, mind you. Each step the monster takes must result in a valid board position, not including friendly figures the monster might be moving through.

Thanks, Steve ! Cheers.