Mono-Hastur Madness Control

By Timber_Wolf, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Well, hello everybody.

I´ve "evolved" my predated agency-hastur deck and got a mono hastur one (i just realised i wasn´t able to put everything i want in one deck, so i just took the "mad" part and extended it...).

First of all, the card list

Control through Madness !

1x Aldebaran Ascendant
3x Aspiring Artist
2x •Atlach-Nacha, The Spider God
3x Bearer of the Yellow Sign
3x Bound Byakhee
3x Bringer of Fire
3x Byakhee Servant
2x Demon Lover
2x •Erich Zann, Strange Virtuoso
2x •Hastur, The King in Yellow
1x •Infernal Obsession
3x Messenger from Beyond
3x Patron of the Arts
2x Power Drain
3x Repairer of Reputations
2x Saturnalia
2x Scotophobia
2x •Victoria Glasser, The Society Hostess
3x Victoria's Loft
2x White Out
3x Yellow Muse

Total 50

Total 50

well, the idea is quite simple. use the come into play abilites from victoria, and the bearer / the general ability of zann and hastur to turn enemy characters on the back side. use the messenger if something has terror (or scotophobia...). hastur just for some extra madness goodness in the late game. the repairer and patrom for speeding up everything. the 3 byakee characters to slow down the enemy in the first turns until i get a loft out, the demon lovers, bringer of fire, power drain (against nodens and such stuff...) and infernal obsession for more control (i´m looking for a second copy, though). white out is nice, i´m still thinking about getting a 3rd copy in the deck but i don´t know what to remove.

The deck plays quite consistent, you´ll normaly loose a story to your opponent before you´re able to establish a tight ring of madness. if neccessary, you can just commit enough meatshield (aka artists, repairer and patrons in the late game) to soak up the combat check and win the skill check. you´re normaly fightting with about 3 characters, the rest stays behind and taps itself if neccessary. i´m currently working on a "permission" variant of this deck (with 3 aspiring artists, 3 power drain, 3 aldebaran ascending), but until i´ve figured out how to do this, i´ll keep this deck as it is.

if you have any improovement or card proposals, feel free to tell me, i´m always looking for new ways to play the game :-)

[EDIT] updated deck list. YES, i know that saturnalia is banned from tournament and such stuff, but my play group said, it´s ok as long as i keep it with these 2 (all other ´round here play a 2 faction deck and the thought i should be rewarded for staying "true" to one faction ;-) )

victoria's loft and spawn of the sleeper kinda work against each other. you should either focus on taking characters or keeping them insane.

Probably doesn't go with the theme and I only have the Core Set for now, but why no Thing from the Stars? It's text " Action : Exhaust to choose and destroy an insane character." gives you nice combo if you have Hastur himself out and/or other means to flip characters insane. Control through destruction gui%C3%B1o.gif .

@PearlJamaholic

i see your point, i just added the card to see if it works for me, but i´ll switch it out (i thought i would get the char instead of it going insane, should read the cards more proper),seems i´ll save the spawn for a "real" control deck...

@Dam:

i´m normaly quite happy with leaving the insane guys on the field (one of my play mates uses a shubb resurrection deck, therefor it´s better not to destroy anything but keep it useless on the board). besides, the thing´s best in multi coloured decks (it´s quite expensive for what i get if you have to pay the whole 5...). i have 3 twin of you (which destroy an insane character as a forced response and is quite nice non the less for 4) wich i´ll test out, too.

deck list will be updated any minute ^^

Yeah, TftS is a tad pricy in a mono deck I imagine (1 less than big bad boy himself).

i´ve just laid my hands on some new cards and updated the decklist again

YES, i knwo that saturnaria is banned from tournaments and league play, but my play mates said they´re fine withit as long as i only use these 2.

if youre using black border cards why not add some pulp writers?

yeah, pulp writer would be great, but i don´t have them (still looking for this common ^^)