New Rogue Trader Designer Diary: The Koronus Expanse Revealed

By FFG Ross Watson, in Rogue Trader

Greetings Rogue Trader fans!

Today you can have a look at the Koronus Expanse map , newly uploaded for your viewing enjoyment. Marvel at the dark frontier that awaits for your Explorers in the Rogue Trader RPG!

Well I asked for the map in the "Secrets Revealed" thread (and the book of course but you can't have everything lengua.gif ) and you've obliged!

Very quick, and much appreciated, service gran_risa.gif

DW

Interesting geography, looks like the Orks have a pretty good foothold in the region.

Is the Koronus Expanse located in Segmentum Obscurus like the Calixis Sector? If that's the case, would it be safe to assume that the anomaly present rimward on the map is actually the very edge of the Eye of Terror itself? preocupado.gif

Varnias Tybalt said:

Is the Koronus Expanse located in Segmentum Obscurus like the Calixis Sector? If that's the case, would it be safe to assume that the anomaly present rimward on the map is actually the very edge of the Eye of Terror itself? preocupado.gif

The Expanse is out into the Halo Stars, which is just outside Obscurus and outside the Imperium, but it's next to Calixis. That means it's on the opposite side of Calixis to the Eye of Terror.

Psion said:

Interesting geography, looks like the Orks have a pretty good foothold in the region.

And that is totally awesome to have a whole cluster of worlds devoted to battling against the green menace. I know where I'm gonna lead my PCs to once we get started on Rogue Trader! :D

Zamzoph said:

Psion said:

And that is totally awesome to have a whole cluster of worlds devoted to battling against the green menace. I know where I'm gonna lead my PCs to once we get started on Rogue Trader! :D

Actually you do have a few such worlds in the calixis sector as well, so if you'd like to have a headstart in battling orks you could already begin there. happy.gif

Kulth is a war-world that has been at war with the greenskins for almost nine decades, and a few of it's neighbouring worlds in the periphery are also locked in combat with them.

Looks like old Calliagos Winterscale has made pretty good headway into the Expanse: he's got the equivalent of an entire subsector named after him! No wonder his name's on the special edition warrant of trade...

I really like this map - it's much better put together than the old Calixis sector map (the one from the BI edition of Dark Heresy - you know, the one with all the errors in...)

Lots of interesting things going on here, and lots of scope for unique adventures. The Cauldron: black hole or warp gate? Why is there a pleasure world (Solace Encarmine) in the middle of a largely unexplored region? How did the Heathen Stars get their name, and what are Imperial Missionaries going to do about it?

All excellent stuff! happy.gif

The map looks nice, but i don´t like it anyway :)

In my eyes the map is way to technical for 40k. The maps on the first pages of the Ravenor novel with it´s medieval touch and the "spacedragons" warning signs are bringing much more 40k Feeling than the maps of the calixis sector and the koronus expanse.

It would be great if you could make a map in that medieval style too.

And second, for an new and uncartographed/unexplored region of space, there are many named planets :)

But ok, i can understand, that a large sector with just a dozen or so named planets would hardly fit into the book.

I view this map and the one like it in DH as a GM resource to let the GM know quickly and easily what a planet is and where it is. The one at the start of every DH book is more of the type of map you are thinking of and one like it will probably exist for Rogue Trader. That said I still think that this map would show up in the Imperium for people interested in the technical side like Rogue Traders and Imperial Navy captains. The Imperium does have alot of high technology and sometimes "Here be Dragons" just doesn't cut it as a Navigational tool.

Kaihlik

Salvar II ? Don´t you mean Savlar II? (meh, it reminds me original Glavian needle weapons and IH presented Belasco Galvian Needler) Will we get penal planet with drugged psychopats? :-) But no, cemetery world, still very intresting...

Actualy this wonderful map struck me totaly unprepared, I wonder that I´ll GM some Inquisition´s investigations into the Koronus Expanse as well, that would get intresting (read Ravenor and you´ll understand).

Compared to the Calixis Sector it is unexplored. Just look at the Cauldron: Only 5 known planets in an area as large as a subsector. In the calixis sector there are probably 3 to 4 times as much planets in an area of the same size. And nearly half of all planets in the expanse are unclassified.

Of course it is too technical compared to most 40k art, but I wouldn't like to plan a game with a confusing medieval map.

I'm not sure whether there are not as many orks in the expanse as it looks like on the map. The region of Undred-Undred Teef might have been first explored by Freebootaz. Their maps then were looted by human rogue traders and integrated in the Imperial maps. Just because a planet is named Krakskull it doesn't mean it's inhabited by orks. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Varnias Tybalt said:

Actually you do have a few such worlds in the calixis sector as well, so if you'd like to have a headstart in battling orks you could already begin there. happy.gif

Kulth is a war-world that has been at war with the greenskins for almost nine decades, and a few of it's neighbouring worlds in the periphery are also locked in combat with them.

Well I know that already, but Orks aren't exactly an Inquisitorial concern, ya know. If someone's having an infestation problem, they call the PDF or the Guard, not the Inquisition. If an acolyte cell is on Kulth, chances are they have other matters to attend to rather than supporting the war effort. Unless the cell is of Ordo Xenos, the only logical reason I can see for them to come across Orks is if they're ambushed.

On the other hand, it makes much more sense for a Rogue Trader to say "Lets go fight some Emperor-damned Orks!"

Zamzoph said:

I'm personally just more interested in reading about what's there. Freebooters don't strike me as ones to set up large colonies involving a cluster of worlds.

Zamzoph said:

On the other hand, it makes much more sense for a Rogue Trader to say "Lets go fight some Emperor-damned Orks!"

Why? where is the profit in wasting men and resources fighting a battle against orks? Of course the exception to this is when intel about something of value has led you somewhere occupied by orks. But there certainly would be no profit in just going "oh look theres some orks, lets go kill them"

Anybody else spotted the Patrick O'Brian reference? I bet there's loads more easter eggs hidden in this map...

The map looks fantastic.

Plenty of space to include more worlds, and the colours are evocative.

Kudos to the team.

Hello out there!

So far I´m really impressed by all the stuff released so far. And I´m looking forward to the Corerules themselves. I´m already playing in the Koronus Expanse with my group and thus the map comes in quite handy! Hopefully we will get some copies of the rules here in outer Germany.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Zamzoph said:

Varnias Tybalt said:

Well I know that already, but Orks aren't exactly an Inquisitorial concern, ya know. If someone's having an infestation problem, they call the PDF or the Guard, not the Inquisition. If an acolyte cell is on Kulth, chances are they have other matters to attend to rather than supporting the war effort. Unless the cell is of Ordo Xenos, the only logical reason I can see for them to come across Orks is if they're ambushed.

What if a cell of Ordo Xenos acolytes were tasked with locating and securing the ruins of an Inquisitorial research outpost located behind enemy lines of the world at war with the greenskins? If that was the case then the greenskins would certainly be of Inquisitorial concern... Well at least the concern of the acolytes tasked with finding the ruins that is. angel.gif

In fact, I ran an adventure where the plot mainly consisted of that. Worked as a perfect and plausible excuse to let the acolytes face off with some Orks (although the jungles of that region were infested with far worse xenos beasts than just Orks, but the acolytes didn't know that from the beginning. I am an evil GM demonio.gif )

But you do it the way you want. Im just handing you some useful suggestions if you really want the players to fight against Orks but don't want to wait for Rogue Trader to come out. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Well, you don´t need a new sector to play thr Ravonr story. We are playing it in the Calixis. You just have to modify it a bit, but our GM did a really good job in transfering it to the Calixis Sector. I am lokking forward to Part 2 for we just finished the first novel!! :D

darkstar952 said:

Zamzoph said:

Why? where is the profit in wasting men and resources fighting a battle against orks? Of course the exception to this is when intel about something of value has led you somewhere occupied by orks. But there certainly would be no profit in just going "oh look theres some orks, lets go kill them"

Well, if they're freebooters then there may be some profit; especially if the Ork privateers lay claim to a fairly rich mineral world or chase after the Rogue Trader when their ship is already loaded down with booty. After all, the Expanse is kind of like the Wild West... anything goes and greed will get you every time. lengua.gif

Nice bit of background fluff, cant wait to really get a chance to read it and digest the info.