Toad question

By Sleby, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi

I've been meaning to clear this up for a while. When you turn into a toad you drop all your items and followers but the rulebook doesn't say anything about not being able to pick them up again as a toad. So can the toad hop one space away from his items and then on the next turn hop back and grab them all again?

My group and I always thought it was a bit weird that you can. Just wanted to find out the official ruling on this.

Cheers

You may not have any Objects, Followers or gold whilst you are a Toad.

Indeed, like talismanisland said, the toad can't have anything.

If you look at the toad card, you will notice that the slots for followers and objetcs (existing on the other characters cards) are missing.

A good way to remind it ;)

Dualgoth said:

If you look at the toad card, you will notice that the slots for followers and objetcs (existing on the other characters cards) are missing.

A good way to remind it ;)

Right. I believe that Toad Cards are somehow neglected by Talisman players; everything you should know as a Toad is written on those cards, but I'm wondering how many players really put the Toad card on their Character Card when toad-ed. Me and my friends usually do that, although we perfectly know how to handle a Toad.

This actually came up last night while introducing Talisman to three new players. One of them was having a horrible time of it, and the icing on the cake was being turned into a Toad by the Enchantress. I handed him a Toad card to overlay on his character, had him drop his stuff, etc.

His next move, he went to the fields and drew a Talisman! He was not happy about that when I told him he could not pick it up. He protested by saying that the Toad character card does not say you cannot gain items or followers, only that you lose them when first becoming a Toad.

The fact that the "followers" and "objects" spots are missing from the Toad card are a very subtle reminder - perhaps too subtle. Hence why this question was asked in the first place. Perhaps in a future re-print they can actually bother to add text that says "You may not gain objects or followers while you are a Toad." Not at all difficult to do, and the question of Toads picking up objects or followers need never be asked again by new players.

katana_one said:

This actually came up last night while introducing Talisman to three new players. One of them was having a horrible time of it, and the icing on the cake was being turned into a Toad by the Enchantress. I handed him a Toad card to overlay on his character, had him drop his stuff, etc.

His next move, he went to the fields and drew a Talisman! He was not happy about that when I told him he could not pick it up. He protested by saying that the Toad character card does not say you cannot gain items or followers, only that you lose them when first becoming a Toad.

The fact that the "followers" and "objects" spots are missing from the Toad card are a very subtle reminder - perhaps too subtle. Hence why this question was asked in the first place. Perhaps in a future re-print they can actually bother to add text that says "You may not gain objects or followers while you are a Toad." Not at all difficult to do, and the question of Toads picking up objects or followers need never be asked again by new players.

That's bad luck then..

Such circumstances are always difficult if some people don't know the rules.

But they must believe in the one who knows it, and that the game will be playing fair and square gui%C3%B1o.gif

Interesting, never noticed that on the card. We looked all through the rules on Toads in the Rule book and I agree that it says you lose all followers and items when becoming a Toad but we couldn't find anything that said you couldn't gain them.

Good to know, I shall tell the group tonight :)

Sebly said:

Interesting, never noticed that on the card. We looked all through the rules on Toads in the Rule book and I agree that it says you lose all followers and items when becoming a Toad but we couldn't find anything that said you couldn't gain them.

Good to know, I shall tell the group tonight :)

Well.. actually it is standing on the card...but maybe not so clear.

It says:

When you return to normal, your character will be as before , minus objects, followers, gold, fate, and lives lost while a toad.

this is logical because you have drop all your stuff when you became a toad and while you are a toad gui%C3%B1o.gif

Except with fate and lives and spells..

It's actually a bad explanation..