Nations & Races

By SirVolkar, in Battlelore

I've been thinking (uh oh!). So presently within the Battlelore mythos we have the Scottish represented by Dwarves and (eastern?) mercenaries portrayed by Goblins. Now I'm just a-wondering if this is going to be the pattern for other races that may appear in the game. Has Mr. Borg hinted anywhere at how other nations or races are to be conceptualised? Will the Welsh and their longbowmen turn out to be Elves or perhaps blood-drinking Bat-men represent travelling Romani warriors?

What do you guys think of this approach? Presently it is one of the defining features of BL. However, whilst endless opportunities lie within the realm of the game's mechanics, can it be sustained within the existing setting? This is especially important a question to answer if the game is to stay inside the boundaries of the Hundred Years War, I feel. Beyond the English, Welsh, Scots and French who else got involved and how might they be presented with a fantasy twist?

From what I understand, Richard Borg's concept was just a fantasy realm for this game. DOW was the one to tie it into the 100 y/w and presumably gave the races their historical ties. FFG may not feel like being hemmed in by DOW's decision.

Though it would be awkward for FFG to steer away from the nationality and historical associations already in place, especially with expansions out with names like ''Scotish Wars'' and ''Hundred year's war". Although they could very well introduce a new race and just not associate it to anybody in particular... Only time will tell.

(I might live to regret this post)

At the time the English national sport was war (mainly with France), and although they werent fighting all the time for that dreaded 100 years war period, they were practicing hard when they werent actually fighting. happy.gif

I suspect however that given the period in history being discussed it would be fairly easy to bring in other countries who had a beef against (us) English. The Scandinavians had a beef and claim to the throne left over form Canute (Cnut if you prefer). Spain, although they were busy with the Moors if memory serves me correctly. France at that time wasnt unified so there are some issues that could come in there. Add in the various factions in what would become Italy, which at the time maight be described as a whole bunch of city states. And lastly for this post, but certainly no means the least troublesome, The area that later becomes Germany is quite a good place for some trouble.

Internaly England has to contend with enough as it is, as SW touches on, nuff said.

How about witchcraft, the famous ducking stool and the if she floats shes a witch etc.

Plenty of room for more to go on and still feel some ties to the period.

Oh, and a final wildcard, we could always toss a crusade in for a laugh, upset even more lands and go for some desert terrain.

Andy

(who thankfully for everyone else isnt the game designer gui%C3%B1o.gif )

Germ said:

Although they could very well introduce a new race and just not associate it to anybody in particular... Only time will tell.

That's more along the lines I was thinking. Keep what they have but not be forced to assign a nation everytime a new race comes out. Becuase if it wasn't part of Richard's vision and DOW is no longer adding their ideas, there is no guarantee FFG will do the same.

I assume they will keep the 100 Y/W setting and stretch it as much as possible. But since 100 Y/W is not in the title and only really focused on in an expansion, they could easily include the crusades, samurai, and any other medieval warfare they desire.

Also they might well decide to make use of some of the fantasy miniatures and artwork they already have in stock and create some way different things. Providing Richard doesnt have a veto i would not be surprised to see some very unusual things from FFG. After all the latest Descent expansion has a Yeti player character.

Andy

Maybe we'll get some chinese? Or turks with canonos. Maybe frog men. That would be fun.

Indygnome said:

(I might live to regret this post)

At the time the English national sport was war (mainly with France), and although they werent fighting all the time for that dreaded 100 years war period, they were practicing hard when they werent actually fighting. happy.gif

I suspect however that given the period in history being discussed it would be fairly easy to bring in other countries who had a beef against (us) English. The Scandinavians had a beef and claim to the throne left over form Canute (Cnut if you prefer). Spain, although they were busy with the Moors if memory serves me correctly. France at that time wasnt unified so there are some issues that could come in there. Add in the various factions in what would become Italy, which at the time maight be described as a whole bunch of city states. And lastly for this post, but certainly no means the least troublesome, The area that later becomes Germany is quite a good place for some trouble.

Internaly England has to contend with enough as it is, as SW touches on, nuff said.

How about witchcraft, the famous ducking stool and the if she floats shes a witch etc.

Plenty of room for more to go on and still feel some ties to the period.

Oh, and a final wildcard, we could always toss a crusade in for a laugh, upset even more lands and go for some desert terrain.

Andy

(who thankfully for everyone else isnt the game designer gui%C3%B1o.gif )

Don't forget about the Dutch.

BTW I believe their was a post at DOW about this subject with lots of countries and what races they could be

The Dutch, no hadnt forgotten them, although from this time period I must confess I tend to think of that part of the world as being a bit unlucky, to close to the fighting to not get caught up without actually wanting to be involved. We could certainly see the low countires involved quite directly, particularly as France was doing its level best to make sure taxes from Flemish merchants swelled its coffers.

something I thought of after I wrote that post was something to do with the far East, Japan or China being the obvious two, but almost anywhere over there might make for an interesting expansion. Its a rich area for mythology, and certainly has enough to make an expansion from.

Andy

So when do we get, Battlore: Epic fantesy battles at sea?

That's an interesting point. People expect a C&C sci-fi game next (what with Ancient History, WW2 and Fantasy all ticked), but a sea-based version would be an excellent left-field approach to take, especially as I've yet to see a sea battle game that looks appealing.

Bring on Piratelore! Arrrrggghhh! gran_risa.gif

Cheers for the history update, indygnome. You are truly wise in the ways of the period happy.gif Seems there are plenty of potentials, even if each nation is not necessarily a new race, they may well have allies with one. I also like the internal perspective with general English/French social issues that could be askewed to match the fantasy perspective.

Lets just hope my little history lecture didnt put to many people off the thread or the game gran_risa.gif

So which of all of these races are the best, they seem to be fairly different, but which do you think is the strongest?

I'm not sure what your refering to but if your talking about the base set of battlore then the dwarfs are the best. Bar none.

sorpresa.gif

Honour speaks with the serpent's tongue! demonio.gif Listen to him not, for what he would have you believe is a lie! A lie, I tell you!

Goblins rule: Dwarves drool! lengua.gif

A thousand curses on you and your scaly hordes! May your weak forces crumble before the mighty onlsluaght of my yn failing dwafen wairiors!

"To arms!"

"To Arms!"

"TO ARMS!"

( happy.gif )

Let's hope Richard keep it is to fantasy...he has other "war" games out there (M44, C&C) to do more historical battles for. And still waiting for the

obvious expansion - the siege the castle tiles - we have some parts of it, but sure would be interesting to see Richard's take on it.

Cab

We do? Acuall tiles or just the idea? And where?

Well if I remember DoW's roll out to BL(Brilliant by the way-its too bad they had no

2nd Act) it was set in a Fantasy Europe of the 100 year war PERIOD ,so you do have some

major states which could be assigned new Races.I always wanted a Holy Roman Undead Empire demonio.gif .

OD

Zombie pope! ZOMBIE POPE! ZOMBIE POPE!

the best combination of catholic and vodo dogma

If you take into account various countries at the time were given to appointing thier own Popes to set them up in competition as the rightful Pope. I may be wrong but I seem to remember at one point there were 3, one having been moved from the Vatican to Southern France.. well we could maybe have 3 Zombie Popes, more than enough to go around.