New Rogue Trader Designer Diary: The Rogue Trader Character Sheet

By FFG Ross Watson, in Rogue Trader

Hi Rogue Trader fans!

I just uploaded the new Rogue Trader Character Sheet for this week's designer diary! It includes a link to a downloadable character sheet for Rogue Trader, so you can get started making your Explorers early!

I like how the layout differs from the Dark Heresy character sheets. Just looking at it tells you how a Rogue Trader character will differ.

Kind of wish there was a black-and-white version for printing, though.

DarkPrimus said:

Kind of wish there was a black-and-white version for printing, though.

Agreed. Also, for some reason, having problems loading/opening the Hi-Res copy. I'll try another browser and see if that resolves the issue any.

Edit: IE and FireFox both no-go for me on opening/copying the Hi-Res version.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I like the layout better than the Dark Heresy one, especially making your base attributes horizontal instead of vertical.

IMHO it makes the whole thing much easier to read.. good call on putting movement at the top of one of the pages as well :)

For those who are having trouble opening the hi-rez version up.. work fine for me with Firefox 3.0.13 and Adobe 8.0.

Heh, like the picture of the Eldar negotiating with the Terrans. Anyway, thanks for the freebie; I'm looking it over and thinking of what kind of skills would represent one character or another...

Anyone notice any new skills? I spotted Commerce (which makes sense and basically speaks for itself).

It looks nice all in all but only 6 lines for psychic techniques? Will Navigators/Astropaths only have so few of them? I hope that either each technique can be used in many different ways or it is the same as with the Psychic Powers on the DH sheet: As most characters don't need it, it is kept small but for those who need it, it simply isn't enough. A bad compromise, what a pity.

The character sheet looks way better than it's inquisitorial brother.

Lets hope that the few empty lines are enough for all standard characters.

Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on my copy.

Terelo said:

It looks nice all in all but only 6 lines for psychic techniques? Will Navigators/Astropaths only have so few of them? I hope that either each technique can be used in many different ways or it is the same as with the Psychic Powers on the DH sheet: As most characters don't need it, it is kept small but for those who need it, it simply isn't enough. A bad compromise, what a pity.

I noticed the same thing: it occurred to me though that given the higher power levels in Rogue Trader, and the relatively limited psychic classes, (astropaths and navigators can be powerful, but in very specific ways) perhaps the way FFG have gone about this is to have a single tier of powers available to each new psychic class. So for example you'd be a "level 1 navigator" with all of the powers at level 1 available to you, or a "level 3 astropath" and so on. If all the powers for your level are set out in the core book, you don't NEED an exhaustive list of individual powers, therefore you won't need as much space on the character sheet.

Just idle speculation on my part, I could be completely wrong, of course.

Lightbringer said:

it occurred to me though that given the higher power levels in Rogue Trader, and the relatively limited psychic classes, (astropaths and navigators can be powerful, but in very specific ways) perhaps the way FFG have gone about this is to have a single tier of powers available to each new psychic class. So for example you'd be a "level 1 navigator" with all of the powers at level 1 available to you, or a "level 3 astropath" and so on. If all the powers for your level are set out in the core book, you don't NEED an exhaustive list of individual powers, therefore you won't need as much space on the character sheet.

Just idle speculation on my part, I could be completely wrong, of course.

As a Psyker player in DH i know what you guys are getting at and i like the idea of having a 'level 1 Navigator' but if it is like that i think the game will get a little flat. I mean if every third rank Navigator had the same abilities it would get abit boring... or is that just me

In the designer diaries for the navigator and the astropath it does say that they would have fewer powers than their sanctioned psyker kin.

More specialized and powerful at what they do, but less versatility.