Fae Witch and Feral Hunger

By Uvatha, in Talisman Rules Questions

This is interesting Fae Witch rolls 2 dice for her attack roll and if they are doubles your a toad and Feral Hunger makes the enemy roll a 6 for their attack roll.. so does that mean the Fae Witch rolls a double 3 3+3= 6? or a normal roll and a 6? interesting Please give feedback.

heh interesting^^ I dont think the rules have much to say on the matter. I think the best solution is to say that hunger makes one of the dice "roll" a 6. fae witch then rolls the other.

hmm that solution seems to make a distinction between attack roll and the result of the roll, I dont see how that's based in the rules. Technically:

The Fae Witch rolls 2 dice for her attack roll and uses the highest result.

The creature automatically rolls a 6 for its attack roll .

suggests to me that 2 rolls of 6 is the formally most correct option. But 1d6+roll of 6 seems the one that keeps both cards closest to their intended effect.

I would say that the Fae Witch rolls 2 x 6's if Feral Hunger is cast on her!

I would say that the Fae Witch rolls 2 x 6's if Feral Hunger is cast on her!

Is that right Mr Talisman :) Hmmmmm interesting.

It's not an easy question to answer, at least for me...

Imagine what happens when the Warrior wishes to use the Weighted Dice. If he selects a "6" for his attack roll with the Weighted Dice, should he simply roll a single "6" or should he roll both dice and choose one of many combinations? (6,1; 6,2; etc.)

Setting an attack roll to a single value when multiple dice are rolled is tricky, and the most general solution I can think of is that rolling multiple dice is completely substituted by a single die roll. So the Warrior would roll just a single "6."

The reason I think this way is (partly) because of the Flail. If you select a "6" as your attack roll with the Weighted Dice, you can't set both dice to show "6,6" as that would trigger a "12." Likewise, you could show "3,3" but "5,1" is also valid, as are countless other combinations (with doubles being the most attractive due to armor pierce.)

So since there doesn't seem to be a universal solution to setting multiple dice, I think pre-setting an attack roll should completely substitute multiple dice. (And thus the Flail and Weighted Dice would be incompatible with each other.) In your example, I think the Fae Witch would roll a single "6."

Should you use the Pharaoh's Crown on her, she would re-roll that single "6"... right? :P

Edited by Artaterxes

All right, I checked the Digital Edition. When the Warrior uses the Weighted Dice in the DE, the Weighted Dice forced the Warrior to choose which of the two dice to set. He rolled one normally and the other to the preset value.

That's another excellent way to look at it! I like it.

All right, I checked the Digital Edition. When the Warrior uses the Weighted Dice in the DE, the Weighted Dice forced the Warrior to choose which of the two dice to set. He rolled one normally and the other to the preset value.

Your forgetting the wording of Weighted Dice and Feral Hunger. Weighted Dice says "the die" where as Feral Hunger says "6 for its attack roll" now if Weighted Dice said what Feral Hunger did it would be totally different given that a attack roll could be 1 or 2 dice.

The Digital Edition can give you a possible solution, but it might just be the wrong one. I'm quite relieved they noticed that the Dragon in the Cave and the Spirit in the Crags were actually wrong targets for Minstrel and Priest abilities.

There's need for additional rules for this game. We cannot go on analysing cards word-by-word and take different conclusions depending on articles, pronouns or the card's name.

Clockwork Owl FAQ says that if you roll 2 dice for movement with Riding Horse, you cannot use the Clockwork Owl. I guess this is because Riding Horse says "roll 2 dice for your movement" and the Owl says "up to your die roll".

Following that conclusion, I think Weighted Dice cannot be used if you choose to use Flail or the Warrior's ability, no matter what the Digital Edition computes.

This topic was about replacing a double dice attack roll with a predetermined roll of 6, which is what happens if Feral Hunger is played on Fae Witch (or Basilisk, or Dark Fey, or Pack of Wolves, etc...). talismanamsilat made a strong statement (changing his mind completely, BTW) and I sincerely don't know where he founds all of his confidence. I thought this was self-explanatory, as the dice are not rolled but they automatically roll a 6, cancelling the real roll and all the checking for doubles, but it's not like that. Anybody can say that the Enemy and Spell can be combined and resolved in another way, so this one really needs a FAQ.

A better solution would be a general rule about rolling multiple dice, one that finally merges the contrasting answers given for movement, attack roll and praying.

Edited by The_Warlock

The Digital Edition can give you a possible solution, but it might just be the wrong one. I'm quite relieved they noticed that the Dragon in the Cave and the Spirit in the Crags were actually wrong targets for Minstrel and Priest abilities.

There's need for additional rules for this game. We cannot go on analysing cards word-by-word and take different conclusions depending on articles, pronouns or the card's name.

Clockwork Owl FAQ says that if you roll 2 dice for movement with Riding Horse, you cannot use the Clockwork Owl. I guess this is because Riding Horse says "roll 2 dice for your movement" and the Owl says "up to your die roll".

Following that conclusion, I think Weighted Dice cannot be used if you choose to use Flail or the Warrior's ability, no matter what the Digital Edition computes.

This topic was about replacing a double dice attack roll with a predetermined roll of 6, which is what happens if Feral Hunger is played on Fae Witch (or Basilisk, or Dark Fey, or Pack of Wolves, etc...). talismanamsilat made a strong statement (changing his mind completely, BTW) and I sincerely don't know where he founds all of his confidence. I thought this was self-explanatory, as the dice are not rolled but they automatically roll a 6, cancelling the real roll and all the checking for doubles, but it's not like that. Anybody can say that the Enemy and Spell can be combined and resolved in another way, so this one really needs a FAQ.

A better solution would be a general rule about rolling multiple dice, one that finally merges the contrasting answers given for movement, attack roll and praying.

I totally agree when it comes to rules that the Digital Edition should never be used as a standard game practice it has so many rule holes at the moment and will do for sometime to come unfortuneatly. I do (after thinking about the issue) get what Talismanamsilat is saying, because its 2 dice that are rolled both end up 6's not just one because thats the roll and they don't get added together. The same will be for warrior if faced with the same type of effect with the same wording. Personally I'm more than cool with this because it makes enemy like the Basilisk that little more dangerous :) .

Warlock you say that talismanamsilat changed his mind completely was this in another thead because I do not see it here. And anyho who cares, everyone has the right to change their minds anyway... I mean geeeeez

i like to look at the Digital Edition for inspiration but I can't accept everything as perfect of course.

One thing I like about the DE is that its solution to the "great spell casting debate" was the same method suggested by the Warlock, whose speed-based solution worked smoothly enough for me that I became a convert. :)

i like to look at the Digital Edition for inspiration but I can't accept everything as perfect of course.

One thing I like about the DE is that its solution to the "great spell casting debate" was the same method suggested by the Warlock, whose speed-based solution worked smoothly enough for me that I became a convert. :)

Must of missed that one what method was this?

Must of missed that one what method was this?

If you want to cast a Spell at the same time as me, who gets priority? That's the debate... any solution seemed to sacrifice spell secrecy other than "fastest first" that we discussed in the forums, and by coincidence, the DE goes based on reaction time as well.

Now for this particular topic, for the Warrior and Weighted Dice (or Feral Hunger and Fae Witch), I have to say I like my idea (single die) more than the DE's to be honest... but usually they are pretty astute with their reasonings. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some other effect on some random card somewhere that they considered when coming up with that.

But we have three solutions I think based on this discussion... 1) roll a single die pre-set... 2) roll 2 dice with one pre-set... 3) roll two dice with both pre-set.

I think this was solved before, Every oppotunity has to be given to the player who has the current turn just like light and dark fate.

I agree Uvatha now that the fate rules are known!

I think this was solved before, Every oppotunity has to be given to the player who has the current turn just like light and dark fate.

I agree it would be wonderful to set up a priority order, but I just can't think of how to do it, personally. The problem is that it's impossible to set up "continue points" for many Spells. First, let's look at fate: when the active player rolls a die, he declares that he is satisfied (he "continues") by reaching his hand out to move his figure, or whatever comes next. An opponent says, "Wait, I want to spend dark fate." An implied system of "continue points" does exist for dice rolling in Talisman, so light fate can take priority.

Now when it comes to Spells, some Spells also have continue points. For example, a Spell that's cast at "start of turn" or "when you are about to engage an Enemy" have continue points and could work the same as above. If you pick up the die to roll for movement, that implies you have finished your "start of turn" point, and your opponent can say, "Wait, I want to cast Shatter on you."

Many Spells, though - namely the ones that can be "cast at any time," don't have continue points. For example, if the active player wants to cast Blessed on himself and his opponent wants to cast Random on him, there's just no way to set up priority order for this. They can be cast at start of turn, end of turn, in between encounters... there's no checkpoint beyond which the Spell is illegal. If his opponent casts Random, he can't say, "Wait, I'm the active player, I want to cast Blessed!" Too late, the Random was revealed. Once again, it seems it's based on reaction time.

Also, even with the case of dark fate, consider that the active player has up to five opponents. The light fate might get priority, but who gets priority for dark fate?

Sorry to open up the great debate once again, lol!

We've discussed this long enough, but sometimes it's like speaking in the desert. Nobody listens to what's being said.

This thread featured almost 100 posts: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/39174-misfortune-what-rerolling-really-means/?hl=misfortune

Its relevant conclusion was that invoking a predefined set of priorities to resolve "simultaneous effects" is just wrong. It makes certain abilities and effects completely useless under specific circumstances, creating a "passive protection" for the active player during his turn. If the active player has priority and he has a Lucky Charm, nobody will ever cast Misfortune on him.

Light and dark fate rules are not giving priorities to the active player, they only say that he's always entitled to spend a light fate before anybody can spend dark fate, and this is just a way to encourage players to be polite and give the active player the time to decide if he wants to spend light fate. If he doesn't, he cannot change his mind and claim anything after an opponent spends dark fate. "Simultaneous Effects" FAQ rule addresses triggered effects, but as far as I can see it's largely inadequate to discipline situations where many players want to use effects and abilities in response to the same situation. Who declares first should solve it first and without interference; others must wait and bite their tongues.

Who declares first should solve it first and without interference; others must wait and bite their tongues.

Be polite, but in the end.. this is it.

Who declares first should solve it first and without interference; others must wait and bite their tongues.

Be polite, but in the end.. this is it.

Yep, but in regards to everything non fate every chance must be given to the player who turn it is. Like Warlock said "he's always entitled to spend a light fate before anybody can spend dark fate" this should also be for any effect regardless of "who goes first" after the player has had a chance to act then its "who goes first" :) .