Deckbuilding, new to the game (but not LCGs)

By paulsutcliffe, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Hi.

I just can't get my head around deck building for Star Wars at all. I played a couple of times when it first came out and now I'm getting back into it again. I'm not new to card games so I have an understanding of the principles around deck building but using the objective sets rather than building around characters, events etc a la GoT has just thrown me. Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated!

I've been trying to build some decks that feel very 'Star Wars' if you get me, so a bit of a mix of factions per deck rather than mono Jedi etc.

The card base I'm working from is one core set, one copy of all the deluxe expansions, Desolation of Hoth, Knowledge and Defense and Heroes and Legends so there's a fair few cards there but I suspect I'll be missing some of the power sets.

Like I say, any advice or comments on works well together or even how to really get started would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

An easy way to get started is to just count to ten. Just pick 10 objective sets you want to use, shuffle them together, see how it plays.

Most multi-affiliation decks focus on making the most of a specific trait - a Jedi/Rebel Speeder deck, or a Sith/Navy Fighter deck, for example. You don't really have the card pool to build either, but fortunately, there's a trait that's dirt common across all six factions. Character.

Of course, there's not a whole lot of Character support out there, given the one trait covers so many cards. But there's a little.

Guardian of Peace has the keyword Protect Character , meaning she can intercept damage meant for another character. The Wookiee Life Debt objective gives the same power to all of your Wookiee units. And, the objective sets even give you two iconic characters in C-3P0 and Chewbacca, respectively. Then A Hero's Journey and A Hero's Trial offer two different versions of Luke Skywalker, and Questionable Contacts gives you access to Han "Shoots First" Solo, all of which are powerful Character units you'd like to protect.

Then fill out the deck with whatever you'd like. Maybe you'd like to use one of the many versions of Yoda. Or perhaps give further defense to your Characters with A Message from Beyond . If you pick up It Binds All Things, you can even add Leia Organa to your deck without having to try to balance a tricolor deck.

Thanks for all your help! So, I've had a go to start with and come up with the following:

Mono Jedi: The Masters Domain, Following Fate, Hero's Journey, Secret of Yavin 4, Message from Beyond, In You Must Go, Hero's Trial, Hero's and Legends, Flight of the Crow x2 (for the resources)

Sith: Fall of the Jedi, Back Squadron Assault, Emperor's Web, Counsel of the Sith, The Investigation, Kuat Reinforcements, Imperial Blockade, Death and Despayre, Repair and Refurbish, Lord Vader's Command

Smugglers and Spies: Blue Squadron Support (does this only work in multiplayer games or do you class yourself as a friendly player in 1 on 1?), Fleeing the Empire, Commando Raid, Defense of Yavin 4, Asteroid Sanctuary, Wookie Life Debt, Questionable Contacts, The Rebel Fleet, Aderaan's Promise, Draw their Fire

Mono Scum: All Out Brawl, Trandoshan Terror, Mercenary Support, Jabba's Reach, The Slave Trade, No Disintegrations, Carbonite Transport, Masterful manipulation, The Best That Credits Can Buy, The Hunters

I did want to fit Plan of the Prophetess and Scouring the Empire in somewhere to get some more dark jedi types out but I couldn't work out how.

Why do people suggest you match your affiliate card to the smallest affiliation you are using? Does it make any difference unless you're playing a set which has a specific required match?

Any advice or alterations you think would make things better working on the cards I have?

At the start of the game, you look at the top 4 objectives of your objective deck, and pick three to open with. Say I have 6 Sith objective sets, and 4 Imperial Navy objective sets.

I have about a 7% chance to open with no Imperial Navy objectives to choose from, but less than one-half of 1% chance of opening with none of my Sith objectives available. With a 7/3 split, there's a 17% chance I open with no Navy objectives, and zero chance I'll have no Sith objectives. And with an 8/2, it's a 33% chance that I have no Navy objectives in my opening selection.

Since the affiliation card provides a resource that is always available, playing the card of the splashed affiliation means I'll always be able to play my cards of that affiliation.

Smugglers and Spies: Blue Squadron Support (does this only work in multiplayer games or do you class yourself as a friendly player in 1 on 1?),

Basically, any player in your "team" is a friendly player. Regardless of whether you are a team of one or more.

So yeah ... you will be able to call for back-up with Supporting Fire (and boy is it ever satisfying to play Supporting Fire because you didn't want to risk your Yoda in the Edge battle and see The Prince's Scheme in the DS stack)

Pay attention though, there are a few multi-player that will be duds in a 1-on-1 game. Since Common Reserve only exists in multi-player, Watchers in the Wasteland is something of a bummer objective to draw (it's an auto-bury if I get it in my first 4 objectives)

Also, the effect of B-Wing only works for other friendly players, which clearly does not include you. (of course, it's still a more than decent 2/2 hitter)