Can an allied army unit equip a different factions attachment?

By dsx01, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Hi there,

An odd thing (to me anyway) happened in a game with a friend the other day, he equipped a Bloodclaw unit with an Ion Rifle. Thinking this isn't right, I questioned it. Now in the rules, it doesn't say you can and it doesn't say you can't attach allied attachments, in fact it doesn't mention it at all. Can someone clarify? Also no Marine would use foul xenos tech lol

It would be kind of limiting if an attachment like Heavy Marker Drone could only go on (enemy) Tau units, wouldn't it? Should negative attachments like that really only be useful (other than as shields) in mirror matches? Or are players supposed to make judgment calls on what is a "positive" attachment and what is "negative"? Cause that would never cause problems.... ;)

Since the rules do not impose a general limit or restriction on what kind of cards an attachment can be placed on (by type, faction, effect, etc.), there isn't one. Individual attachments often have limits on what kind of card or game element they can be attached to in their own text, though.

You can't assume a rule just because the outcome seems odd to you, especially if that "oddness" is based on source material instead of the rules of the game. After all, are you telling me that if a Marine downed an enemy in a battle and damaged his own weapon in the process, he would never pick up his dead enemy's "foul xenos tech" to continue the fight?

Now a simple yes they can or no they can't would have sufficed here.......

It would have done, but a bit of exposition is more likely to prevent other rules questions based off 'wrong feelings'.

The rules say you can attach cards to other cards. It gives indications of how this should be accomplished. Some of the cards themselves carry additional restrictions (no wargear attachments, attach to an army unit for example) but in lieu of those restrictions, there's no reason to think you can't do it.

You're likely to encounter far more unintuitive interactions as the game goes on (a dozer blade on a flyer?) but as long as the rules don't contradict, go nuts!

It would have done, but a bit of exposition is more likely to prevent other rules questions based off 'wrong feelings'.

That, and from experience, I can tell you that if I had simply said, "Yes, you can," someone would have come in and posted, "But the rules don't say you can, so why can you?" Hence, the exposition.

I am sorry if I offended anyone when I called attention to situations where attaching cards to units of the same faction could seem odd, or when I made up an example where the source material might support the idea of one faction using another's attachments.

If you look at guardian mesh armor, it says attach to an eldar unit. If ion rifles or banshee swords were meant to be faction only they would say something similar.