Colchester Earth Patch tourney

By Viewtiful_Joe, in UFS Tourney Reports

Well, we all know how the patch tournaments go, and this really wasn't all that different from the previous ones. We had a pretty average turnout of 11, and we played 4 rounds of swiss. I didn't play myself, instead allowing my friend Alex to take my Yun deck to power ;) The players were as follows:

Alex P (Squall14): Yun , Dan(Nemesis): Victor , Kyle(Soki): Zangief , Chris: Zangief , Matt P: Astaroth , Rob(ChaosChild): Demitri , Alex L: Leona , Jonathan(Crazy Elf): Revenant , Lee (R. Fluxing): R. Mika , Paul(Theo): Jivatma and Ricky(Son Gopaul): Sagat

This was a pretty diverse tournament with only one duplicate character, with some surprise appearances from Leona, Revenant and R. Mika. Now, not many of us, including myself, were in the greatest of moods during the tournament, so it possibly wasn't as enjoyable as other tournaments we've had in the past (The Multi-resource challenge, for example). And now, onto the results:

1. Kyle
  2. Dan
  3. Alex P
  4. Paul
  5. Matt P
  6. Rob
  7. Ricky
  8. Chris
  9. Lee
  10. Alex L
  11. Jonathan

Jonathan appears to have a strange habit of jumping from one end of a tournament to the other, he won the last one, after all :|

The trouble we found with the Earth patch decks were that they pretty much all contained the same cards. Tag Along, Inhuman Perception, Absurd, Tiger Fury, Clones etc. I can only hope (most likely in vain) that the Water patch will be different (don't forget that Rejection is banned and the Agohani Ibis loop is heavily discouraged, folks :D ) We had a pretty nice prize pool for this one, including Felicia, Zangief, Strife's Patronage and everyone's favourite: Aurelia's Companionship! Fun times for all. Until next time ;)

It would be nice if i could win a patch though this is starting to annoy me all though i am going to use the same character i used to win in the ladder event SEONG MINA but yea maybe next time i should change my mindand make a deck 2 days before the tornement. Oh well water one should be intresting but i f i dont get a wind patch somithing is seriously wrong i have played wind for ages and i think i know wind pretty well. The earth patch really didnt go well for me for some people it was great it kind of made a bad day worse for me but hey it happens only can try better see you all next time.

If you're intent on winning the Air patch, DO NOT RUN RARE YUNSEONG. Inhuman Perception, Omnidirectional Clusterbombs flip-half and Tag Along will murder you. You may say you can do the same, but if you really want to win it, you won't do it with the Rare. If you're set on running Yun-Seong at all, run the promo.

Well, the Earth Patch was interesting, if not predictable at the same time. Like Joe said, everyone was running the same cards, with the exception of Nemesis's Victor1 tank/mill deck, and Rob's Demitri which I didn't get to play, but looked like a theme deck based around life loss.

For me, I had a bad start by running straight into the brick wall that was Victor. Even with Sagat's ability and Clean Rematch, Ijust couldn't stop all his redux, and ended up milling and despite my desperate efforts ran out of time early into the second round. 0-1.

Second round I was up against Revenant, the only deck I had seriously playtested my deck against. Fortunately things were headed my way when I managed to get lots of Program Malfunction out and 2 Tiger Fury in hand both games. 2-0.

3rd round I faced Astaroth, which turned out to be a struggle for me as he was playing a character with a built in Holding Ground (technically). Luckily I waited until I had enough attacks to kill, combined with copying the Big Cyclones using the Twelve foundation. Second round he got me with an Eternal Rule'd Big Cyclone, and time got called before either us could get some serious damage through in the 3rd round. 1-1.

Final round was fun for a change, as we had the Street Fighter battle of Sagat Vs R.Mika. First game was very long, with Mika's damage reduction being a pain and Swallow Slam gaining her so much life. However I managed to push through the victory with a final string of attacks. Second round was a lot faster, as Mika's checks just couldn't hold up and I pushed through a Tiger Fury and a few other attacks. 2-0.

I ended up 5th overall, so I was satisfied, but sadly we didn't have time for a top 4. It had been a long tournament, and everyone was pretty exhausted, so I don't blame everyone. I'm looking forward to the Water Patch, but I've got quite a few ideas in mind for what I want to build. Huitzil, Sakura, Dee Jay, and more... I'm just not sure yet...

When I first had the idea to go for .Victor. I knew what to base the deck around it was just a matter of keeping him alive while I slowly milled my opponent.

I went into the tournament feeling fairly confident that I would do well, with what the deck contained..

1st round

.Victor. VS ::Sagat::

I knew Ricky had been working on ::Sagat:: for along time so I knew I would have to get as much dmg redux out as possible.. I managed to get a good foundation base, he then began to get more Program Malfunction out but buy the time he got all 4 out I had enough dmg redux to control him for eventual mill..

Sadly due to the fact that my deck was a mill we didn't get any time for a 2nd match..

So 1-0

2nd round

.Victor. VS ::Astaroth::

From what I seen in the previous round this Astaroth was very well rounded with dmg redux and dmg pump, unfortuanately I got Gerdenheim's Research Notes out early and then more and more dmg redux I was able to stop him from do any form of dmg to me, and eventually milled him..

2-0

3rd round

.Victor. VS ::Zangief::

After hearing that Zangief could pull of 10 dmg moon sault slayers, I was quite nervous heading into this match, Started out ok until Zangief pulled out 25 dmg turn 2 and then a further 12 the next there wasnt really much I could apart side into...... ::Zangief::

Fight Fire with Fire

It was just a case who ever got Dancing Battle Kabuki and Moon Sault Slayer 1st wins, luckily it was me..

match 3 didnt go well at all, didnt see a single attack until it was to late..

2-1

4th round

.Victor. VS .Demitri.

Much like game against Astaroth, control until mill..

Overall I finished 2nd with a Mill deck, which I thought was pretty awesome..

.Victor.

1x .Jivatma.

1x ::Zangief::

1x .Seth.

1x :Huitzil:

1x :Demitri:

1x ::Sagat::

1x :Bishamon:

Assets

3x Red Gi

2x Assassination Arts

2x Gerdenheim's Research Notes

Actions

4x Tag Along

3x Hesitation

Foundations

4x Amy's Assistance

4x Battle Prowess

4x Inhuman Perception

4x Tendon Strength

4x The Curse Broken

4x Program Malfunction

4x The King of Fighters 2006

4x Prince of Darkness

3x Revenants Calling

3x Dancing Battle Kabuki

2x Mortal Strike

Attacks

4x Moon Sault Slayer

I will do what i think i can with wind and i reckon i can do it with rare yun seong there are lots of other cards you are forgeting about under eath which stop them

I will do what i think i can with wind and i reckon i can do it with rare yun seong there are lots of other cards you are forgeting about under wind that stop them

Somebody won with the new zangief? i'm so happy! (5HS ftw! give them back the deserved respect!)

Realy enjoyed this patch tournie, my deck suited my playstyle entirely! woot for aggro control!

Love playing Jivatma and this tournie has convinced me to give him a go in block three and maybe the void patch, who knows.

Pleased with my fourth place, i will say tho that i played right into my opponents hands with my deck choise tho, what was everyone expecting? Discard from jivatmas stuff...what did they do? play tendon strength to stop themselves from being affected by it... what did i play? jivatma and heavily relied on his discard... lol trust me to be predictable i suppose i forgot how easy it was to tap an end it all with a programe malfunction before i can use it to stop tendon strength! ahhh well even with that i came fouth and gave Kyle a run for his money in the last round!

Cant wait for the water patch! i think its going to be another realy fun one!

I was asleep for this entire tournament. How did I NOT come last? Haha, guess play better in my sleep than Jonathon does when he's awake.

I'm going to slap you

I just found it fun after you were against Theo, and he set up the staging areas and card pools for your kill turn when you woke up.