Riposte Feat question

By Jackwraith, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So, the text on Riposte reads:

"Play after a monster has attacked you with a melee attack."

whereas the text on Backstab reads:

"Play this card after the overlord has declared a monster's melee attack against you, but before he has rolled the dice for the attack."

and the text on Transparent reads:

"Play this card after the overlord has declared a monster's attack against you, but before he has rolled the dice for the attack."

In the latter two cases, the timing is clear, while Riposte seems to be either a) stuck with the playtest/less-clarified language but functions like Backstab and Transparent; or, b) intended to function AFTER a monster has COMPLETED an attack against you.

First game with Tomb of Ice tomorrow, so I'm not expecting a ruling before then, but I'd be interested to hear others' interpretation of the timing of Riposte.

I don't have ToI yet, but I think that you can play Riposte whenever you want during an attack. That's what I would say, anyway.

One of the heros played that card on me tonight. I made a successful attack on her, then she whipped that card out, rolled her black die, then proceeded to attack me llorando.gif . I believe this was the correct application of riposte (although as overlord I did not enjoy it). Those feat cards have certainly given the heros another angle of attack, in turn making game-play a lot more interesting and strategic.

I would think the card would be used AFTER the attack is completed, since it is a fencing term used for what amounts to a counter attack AFTER your opponent attacks you, and lets be honest, like the heores need any more help by being able to use this card before the attack is completed...i think not.

Just by going by the definition of "riposte", I would have to say the hero's attack is resolved after the monster has completed their attack.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/riposte

Edit: I'm typing this response and I see Hawknight's reply as I'm confirming the definition

High-Five to Acolyte Rivan....we totally rule

Yep. After thinking about the literal meaning (and playing with it today), we came to that conclusion, as well.