Amoeba Wars and Creature That Ate Sheboygan

By SuperKalelJorson7, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

Yeah, I haven't played the game in 20 years and my memory may be a little hazy, but I recall loving Amoeba Wars as a teen. I can imagine an FFG remake with the Nexus Ops green amoebas.

I also played a lot of the SPI boxed game of Creature That Ate Sheboygan, which was another hit in our group.

Not that they don't have enough in the pipeline now, but that's what this forum is for.

Sheboygan was a favorite of ours, too. TSR was going to come out with a large boxed edition with plastic mini-monsters, etc., a bit like the current hit Mosterpocalypse, a real quality production. This was back in the nineties, I think, when TSR had taken over SPI and was doing big deluxe board games similar to the Milton Bradley line (Fortress America, Samurai, etc.). Unfortunately, no one in the company thought to contact the game's designer Greg Costikyan who at that point also owned all the rights to the game as his intellectual property (apparently rights reverted to him when SPI went bankrupt to TSR rather than going to the latter). He brought suit when he heard about it and TSR had to cancel production of the game as, I suppose, they refused to meet his terms. In fact, I think they were fairly far along in the production cycle. It was a fiasco as they'd been advertising the game, and a lot of us were really looking forward to it. But Greg was right to protect his interests.

I suppose FFG could reprint it, but they, too, would have to buy the rights from Greg. It might be simpler to design their own. Lately I've felt they've had better luck with in-house designs than those they've licensed from other companies.

I also enjoyed Amoeba Wars a lot back in the day.

I agree an FFG version of Ameoba Wars would be sweet with plastic pieces. Never played Sheboygan but always liked the sound of it so I was excited to see the Monsters Menace reprint. MM was amusing but the endgame was lame and as typical WotC/AH/Hasbro dropped the ball on the potential for expansions. The Bug Eyed Monsters would be another SPI game Id like to see again too.

DataSpider said:

I agree an FFG version of Ameoba Wars would be sweet with plastic pieces. Never played Sheboygan but always liked the sound of it so I was excited to see the Monsters Menace reprint. MM was amusing but the endgame was lame and as typical WotC/AH/Hasbro dropped the ball on the potential for expansions. The Bug Eyed Monsters would be another SPI game Id like to see again too.

Ha! Bug-Eyed Monsters was a lot of fun; the subtitle ("They Want Our Women") told you everything. I'd love to see that reprinted as well. It was another winning design from Costikyan, one of SPI's top designers. His games were almost always innovative and fun.