Skill check Questions

By hoffmandu, in Reference Materials

Hey, fellas/ladies, I'm new to the game and new to the forum. Quick question regarding skill checks. Specifically, regarding certain Envorment cards that effect things, such as -2 will checks. Now, does this mean I only get nailed when I need to make a will check, or on all checks regarding will (such as Horror checks too)? I assume Checks are specific, like all other games, Skill checks, Horror checks, Spell checks, and Combat checks, and they don't over lap.

Also, if a monster is in my square, and a Mythos card calls out for it to move elsewhere, will it?

hoffmandu said:

Hey, fellas/ladies, I'm new to the game and new to the forum. Quick question regarding skill checks. Specifically, regarding certain Envorment cards that effect things, such as -2 will checks. Now, does this mean I only get nailed when I need to make a will check, or on all checks regarding will (such as Horror checks too)? I assume Checks are specific, like all other games, Skill checks, Horror checks, Spell checks, and Combat checks, and they don't over lap.

Also, if a monster is in my square, and a Mythos card calls out for it to move elsewhere, will it?

The will -2 environment will affect your horror checks, but the reverse is not true. If horror checks were at -2, but a will check was called for, the horror penalty would not apply. It is the same with Fight/combat and sneak/evade.

horror is a subcategory of will, evade is a sub category of sneak, and combat is a subcategory of of fight. Note that generally the sub categories (combat, evade, horror) apply when dealing with monsters whereas the primary skill checks apply to just about anything.

If the monster is in your square and the mythos card shows its symbol, it does not move, it remains there for you to enjoy some quality time with. If the mythos card says return all monsters in the ????? location to the cup, and you are in that location, and have a monster waiting for you, you get to return it to the cup.