_WoW: DoW_ As A Marital Aid?

By csadn, in Wings of War (WWII)

http://www.bidalaka.com/picofarad/pf17/games.html

"After getting food for myself, I decided to find an open table and park myself and my copy of Wings of War: Dawn of War there, and see if I could find an opponent. Instead, I found myself playing 'Gamer Marriage Counselor'-- I ended up teaching the game to two different married couples. The first round, I decided to take it easy on the rookies, giving them Mitsubishi A6Ms (the "Zero", as it's better known) and myself Grumman F4Fs, and deliberately ignoring Jimmy Thach's dicta on fighter operations against the A6M-the First Rule of Teaching Games to Newbies is "Never Humiliate The Newbie"; it convinces him he'll never be good enough, and he won't bother to come back. So I let the two of them demolish the F4Fs (and even then, it took them forever to accomplish); they picked up the movement and combat rules quickly, and afterwards said it was a "good game". The second couple I gave a Dewoitine D.520 each (France's top-line fighter at the time they got steamrollered), one in Free French livery and one in Vichy colors, and let them fight the French Civil War. They also picked up the movement rules quickly-in fact, so quickly, I didn't really need to do much beyond make sure they didn't walk off with any of my stuff-and also took forever to kill each other (score one for the Free French, BTW); afterwards, they also complimented the game's ease of play. Whether or not this converted into sales, I don't know; however, it looked as though I might have converted a few more people to the game.

"So, if any Fantasy Flight Games folk are reading this: You owe me. "

:)

A good friend of mine has been watching this game from the sidelines for some time now, and the release of the WWII planes apparently drove him over the edge! sorpresa.gif

He just picked up the Dawn of War, and all of the set one miniatures last week; but he is one of those people who doesn't get into something half hearted! gran_risa.gif He just emailed me this past week that the Deluxe WoW set for the WWII version has 4 planes in it with different paint jobs than the regular individual planes he just bought. He's looking to pick up the Deluxe set now, on top of the whole first set he just bought!

One of the neat things that he emailed me about was that he has been playing it with his wife as well, and he says it is a big hit with her! happy.gif I think he is looking at diving into the WWI miniatures and games soon.

I'm married myself, and I guess that I should have invited my wife to a game , instead of flying mock straffing runs on her with the miniatures! lengua.gif gran_risa.gif

kaufschtick said:

I'm married myself,

"Me done better -- me marries my girl. More fun!" [Ray Ellington, _The Goon Show_]

Actually, I haven't married my girl (not yet anyway...), but I have gotten her into _WoW_. She needs to work on her tactics, tho'. :)