Fire From The Sky Released!

By Kaufschtick, in Wings of War (WWII)

Just arrived today at my FLAGS, I got the last two copies. BTW, I noticed that there is now a nice sized section in the store stocked with a whole bunch of WoW stuff. I'm also seeing decent sections of WoW in other shops as well, looks like good news for the game! gran_risa.gif

Anyway; E, F, G, H (1 each) & (2) x I decks in the set.

D damage counters.

Flak guns & dive bombing rules (haven't read them yet).

The Japanese get the Tony (plus a radial engine version) & the Val, the Italians the Re-200 & the Stuka (Axis). The "Allies" get P-40s & P-39/400s as well as the Dauntless. The Red Air Force gets the Yak-1.

IMHO, this a a nice little "completer" set that you could call "Dawn of War 2, The Sequel". The Tony seems a bit out of place, as it was a later war fighter with Japan if I remember right. A friend of mine said that it made it's appearance begining around 1943 or so. But seeing as how it was basically the Japanese version of the Bf-109, I can certainly see the logic in it's inclussion with these maneuver decks.

This same friend of mine is just jumping on board with WoW, and we were speculating on the Set II Miniature line up. I've seen on here a thread showing a production mock up of a De-520 for the French, but that is all I've seen on set II planes. We figure the Hurricane, Oscar and Re 200 to round out set II.

Set II Should be: P-40, Dauntless, Val & Stuka...at least from my point of view anyway! gran_risa.gif

Box Of Happiness in Lubbock as I write this, or so says FedEx. Perhaps in time for Worldcon....

kaufschtick said:

The Japanese get the Tony (plus a radial engine version)

Technically, the radial version is a Ki-100, not a Ki-61.

kaufschtick said:

The Tony seems a bit out of place, as it was a later war fighter with Japan if I remember right. A friend of mine said that it made it's appearance begining around 1943 or so. But seeing as how it was basically the Japanese version of the Bf-109, I can certainly see the logic in it's inclussion with these maneuver decks.

Your friend is right -- the Hien first entered service in late '42-early '43; the Ha-140 engines was rubbish, tho', and it took years to work out the kinks.

Also, it wasn't really a "Japanese Bf 109"; while the engine was based off the Daimler-Benz DB 601, Japan did import five Bf 109s, and the designers had trained under Richard Vogt, the airframe was a purely-original design. (Its reporting name, "Tony", derived from the idea it had been imported from Italy.)

kaufschtick said:

Set II Should be: P-40, Dauntless, Val & Stuka...at least from my point of view anyway! gran_risa.gif

Curse these boards and their limited time edit function!!!! demonio.gif Curse my incredibly poor typing skills as well!! enfadado.gif demonio.gif

I've got to stop posting so freakin late at night as well! preocupado.gif On the brighter side, I did manage to finish preparing two additional F4U Corsairs (one Marine color scheme, and one tri-colored Navy) for game play! cool.gif

Make that " Set III " as my pick for the P-40, Dauntless, Val & Stuka! enfadado.gif

kaufschtick said:

kaufschtick said:

Curse these boards and their limited time edit function!!!! demonio.gif Curse my incredibly poor typing skills as well!! enfadado.gif demonio.gif

I've got to stop posting so freakin late at night as well! preocupado.gif On the brighter side, I did manage to finish preparing two additional F4U Corsairs (one Marine color scheme, and one tri-colored Navy) for game play! cool.gif

Make that " Set III " as my pick for the P-40, Dauntless, Val & Stuka! enfadado.gif

Did I miss something? was set II already announced as something else With the WWI line the mini sets usually coorespond with the game set.

afilter said:

Did I miss something? was set II already announced as something else With the WWI line the mini sets usually coorespond with the game set.

No, I'm just speculating about what the next two sets of the WWII planes might be is all. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Box Of Happiness now in Ft. Worth.... :)

[Kaff Tagon-style Happy Dance]

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

No, I'm just speculating about what the next two sets of the WWII planes might be is all. gui%C3%B1o.gif

OK, because I concur Set II will likely be Val, Stuka, Dauntless and probably P-40 in conjuction with "Fire from the sky. 2 Axis and 2 Allies. Although it would also be nice if instead of giving us ony 4 models with 3 paint jobs there were more models. How many different paint schemes do you you need for the bombers? ;)

I think the SBD will be very popular as I cannot find any 1/200 models at this time. AIR200 makes a val and stuka.

It would be nice if they produced more than one mini set to coorespond with the respective boxed game, but that has not been the case so far.

afilter said:

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

OK, because I concur Set II will likely be Val, Stuka, Dauntless and probably P-40 in conjuction with "Fire from the sky. 2 Axis and 2 Allies. Although it would also be nice if instead of giving us ony 4 models with 3 paint jobs there were more models. How many different paint schemes do you you need for the bombers? ;)

I think the SBD will be very popular as I cannot find any 1/200 models at this time. AIR200 makes a val and stuka.

It would be nice if they produced more than one mini set to coorespond with the respective boxed game, but that has not been the case so far.

I like the fact we have different choices to pick from. Not everyone want to paint every little plane. It's boring looking at 3 planes with all the same camo scheme.

Plus even if they did offer less camo sceme it would not mean different plane models would come. Remember and Axis and allies tank mould is about 2,000-3,000 dollars depending on material used, quality and size. There are various parts on the WoW plane, so a major investment for the company.

The Sundance Kid said:

I like the fact we have different choices to pick from. Not everyone want to paint every little plane. It's boring looking at 3 planes with all the same camo scheme.

Plus even if they did offer less camo sceme it would not mean different plane models would come. Remember and Axis and allies tank mould is about 2,000-3,000 dollars depending on material used, quality and size. There are various parts on the WoW plane, so a major investment for the company.

Sure, but for the val and Dauntless I cannot imagine much creativiy in paint schemes. The Stuka maybe a few.

Dauntless

Light Blue

Dark Blue

Yellow

Light Grey

light Greenish sandy color

A dauntless with different color wings- Red and Yellow

Green Dauntless

http://www.jbdiecast.com/Franklin%20Mint/Dauntless-D000,-Lt-Green.jpg

http://www.jdburgessonline.com/images/dauntless/dauntless-above-l.jpg

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/transportation/images/Aviation%20Page/douglas-dauntless.JPG

http://yellow-wingsdecals.com/decals/images/48-012%20decal%20scan.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1501-1600/rev1543-YHD32018/01.jpg

Then there is my fav.

http://www.skysthelimitaviation.com/HA0111-DAUNTLESS(LEXINGTON ).jpg

For the Val you have Green with different marking

you have that naval light grey

And a dark grey/Black color

not as many with the Val but there are 3, even if they only do the basic 2 (light grey and Green) With the large variations of markings (red tails, yellow tails) enough to make them interesting.

OK,OK,....so we will probably get 4 models with multiple repaints again. :)

You have to admit, something like this would be sweet to place on the table led the 2nd attack on Pear Harbor

BI-231.gif?et=Gg1goSQHrI0foM8eopFAmQ&nmi

afilter said:

OK, because I concur Set II will likely be Val, Stuka, Dauntless and probably P-40 in conjuction with "Fire from the sky.

Somewhere on here I saw a thread with a sneak peek at a production mold for the next set, and it was a Dewoitine D520. That leads a buddy of mine and myself to guess that set 2 will be the D520, Hurricane, Re200 & Oscar. That basically would complete the Dawn of War box set planes.

So then we think that the P-40, Val, Stuka & Dauntless may be set 3. Who knows, but it sure is fun to speculate! happy.gif

I'll have to dig around here and see if I can find that preview....be back soon.

OK, here's a link from a thread out on the main WoW forums, titled News & Previews:

merlindex.free.fr/spip/spip.php

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

OK, because I concur Set II will likely be Val, Stuka, Dauntless and probably P-40 in conjuction with "Fire from the sky.

Somewhere on here I saw a thread with a sneak peek at a production mold for the next set, and it was a Dewoitine D520. That leads a buddy of mine and myself to guess that set 2 will be the D520, Hurricane, Re200 & Oscar. That basically would complete the Dawn of War box set planes.

So then we think that the P-40, Val, Stuka & Dauntless may be set 3. Who knows, but it sure is fun to speculate! happy.gif

I'll have to dig around here and see if I can find that preview....be back soon.

OK, here's a link from a thread out on the main WoW forums, titled News & Previews:

Thanks for the intel. That is totally not keeping with what has been done for WWI. I do like more planes per boxed set though. :)

afilter said:

Thanks for the intel. That is totally not keeping with what has been done for WWI. I do like more planes per boxed set though. :)

Maybe with the success I read that the miniatures are having, from a sales point of view, that Nexus and FFG will be able to step up production of the various sets of planes. That would be nice to see.

The WWI version of this game, I will consider to finally have all the basic elements once the balloons are released . 7 Allied and 6 Central Powers fighters, a pair of two seaters for each side, game mats, and a balloon for each side. We're **** near to that point too! aplauso.gif

After that, it's all icing on the cake as far as additional sets of planes. IMHO, the best WWI aerial combat game ever released.

The WWII version is taking the same path, but it seems to me that the potential for miniatures is greatly enhanced with this game. There were just so many more aircraft involved in WWII, that they could make a small fortune selling the WWII miniatures. Just think of the potential in adding multi engine bombers to the WWII version. I'm guessing that is why they opted for the smaller 1/200 scale, so they would be able to add miniatures such as B-17s to the game.

The way they release their miniatures in three paint schemes each plane makes for just plain ole' collecting them an attractive option!

afilter said:

Sure, but for the val and Dauntless I cannot imagine much creativiy in paint schemes. The Stuka maybe a few.

Oh, I don't think they will have any trouble coming up with three paint schemes for just about any WWII aircraft. I have three color schemes for Vals in 1/144 scale already.

144new051.jpg

21st Century had no trouble with at least three different paint schemes for the dauntless, I have two of them.

144new058.jpg

The ones in the foreground are Atlantic color schemes, or so I'm told. I know they released one version with the red dots in the wing and fusalage insignia, with the red and white horizontal bars on the rudder too.

Speaking of different paint schemes, and by coincidence seeing the P-40s in the above pic, there is going to be a plane that they are going to have trouble deciding which three paint schemes to use! gran_risa.gif The Flying Tigers with the Chinese National insignia has got to be a lock for one almost certainly. Then a British desert version I would imagine to be **** near as good a second lock. That would leave the last version a tough pick. You'd think some version in US markings would have to be taken, but North African desert paint scheme or Pacific? (If it were up to me, I'd go with the "Aleutian Tiger" markings of the Pacific cool.gif ). Then there are also Russian, Australian, French and South African versions to be considered as well. So many nationalities, so many paint schemes...so few miniature versions!

csadn said:

The Sundance Kid said:

Hate to tell you this, but that's a *pre-war* paint scheme. :)

Those paint schemes are my Dad's favorite ones too! happy.gif Especially the Devastators like that. They had different colored tails for the different carriers. Yellow, red, blue and I think even green for one of the carriers. Pretty cool.

I could see Nexus releasing paint schemes like that. They may be pre-war, but they sure are sharp looking! cool.gif The original Avalon Hill released Wildcats for their Mustangs! game in that color scheme on big, I think they were 1 inch full color counters. You only saw the top side, but even on cardboard they looked cool!

csadn said:

The Sundance Kid said:

Hate to tell you this, but that's a *pre-war* paint scheme. :)

(Box Of Happiness has left Ft. Worth.... :) )

Technically no. Most of The Silver and red or yellow wing dauntless on the lexington were not re-painted til Febuary of 1942. We were at war with them. The several dauntless' we gave to France were blue, light grey, and silver with yellow wings they had used. Though many of these were repinted to more camo style one dauntless was actually painted dark purple and navy blue.

afilter said:

I found this regarding the next miniature set over on BGG:

"The Wings of War WWII Miniatures Deluxe Set is scheduled for a July release, and the second series of airplane packs will be released in October, and will present the Hawker Hurricane, Dewoitine D.520, Junkers Ju.87 "Stuka" and Aichi D3A1 Val, each in 3 different painting schemes."

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

I found this regarding the next miniature set over on BGG:

"The Wings of War WWII Miniatures Deluxe Set is scheduled for a July release, and the second series of airplane packs will be released in October, and will present the Hawker Hurricane, Dewoitine D.520, Junkers Ju.87 "Stuka" and Aichi D3A1 Val, each in 3 different painting schemes."

I am afraid to ask that is October of next year correct?

If you love me, you'll lie to me. Every good man does.

The Sundance Kid said:

I am afraid to ask that is October of next year correct?

If you love me, you'll lie to me. Every good man does.

LOL! gran_risa.gif

No, that was in reference to October of this year. That means that there is an outside chance we will see them by the end of the year. gran_risa.gif

Box O' Happiness is in Portland, and on the truck.... :)

My minis came into day

I need 2 more minis and I have all of set I