"Mysterious Boy's" Mysterious Effect

By Broadway_Punk, in Rules Discussions

PART 1: Roxas states that you can only use " Twilight Town Friend Cards and "Samurai" Nobody Cards as Friend Cards with this card." What about Magic/Friends? Because (when I play them) they are counted as Magic Cards, then hit the field and become Friend Cards... do they have mini-mental breakdowns, and implode? Do I discard them like Magic Cards, or can I use them now that they're on the field? Or, can I not use them at all?

PART TWO: Not just Roxas, but also the other Player/XIII cards have effects and equipment. Can I/Do I have to use these effects and equipment when they're not my player? How does this work?

PART III: I read elsewhere in the rules section that the Player/XIII cards could, in fact, have multiple copies of Nobodies of the same name in their Friend Zone (even though the cards don't state it). Can Roxas have multiple "Samurai," same as the others? Or is this a false statement altogether?

Off Topic Question: Why can't Roxas use the Kingdom Key? He clearly uses it in the video game; more often than the other two Keyblades, I might add.

Broadway_Punk said:

PART 1: Roxas states that you can only use " Twilight Town Friend Cards and "Samurai" Nobody Cards as Friend Cards with this card." What about Magic/Friends? Because (when I play them) they are counted as Magic Cards, then hit the field and become Friend Cards... do they have mini-mental breakdowns, and implode? Do I discard them like Magic Cards, or can I use them now that they're on the field? Or, can I not use them at all?

In my opinion, they aren't played as Friend cards, and Mysterious Boy's text states that you can only play TT Friends and Samurai Nobodies as Friends, unless it states that he may only ever have TT Friends and Samurai Nobodies as Friends in play. They'd still be discarded as M/Fs in the Discard phase.

Broadway_Punk said:

PART TWO: Not just Roxas, but also the other Player/XIII cards have effects and equipment. Can I/Do I have to use these effects and equipment when they're not my player? How does this work?

Specific Equipment cards for specific player cards, e.g You may only equip Spear to Xaldin, but never Axel even if they're in the same deck . Axel's effect should still work even if he's played as a Friend card.

Broadway_Punk said:

PART III: I read elsewhere in the rules section that the Player/XIII cards could, in fact, have multiple copies of Nobodies of the same name in their Friend Zone (even though the cards don't state it). Can Roxas have multiple "Samurai," same as the others? Or is this a false statement altogether?

In theory: Yes

Broadway_Punk said:

Off Topic Question: Why can't Roxas use the Kingdom Key? He clearly uses it in the video game; more often than the other two Keyblades, I might add.

What? The digital key he uses in Digital Twilight Town?

So... was that a "yes" to PART 1?

I know you can only equip the cards to the specified Player, but the question has more to do with with playing Roxas as a Friend in an Axel deck. Can I only play Samurai cards now? Also, can I equp the wheels to Axel when he's a Friend Card, or only if he's my Player?

BONUS: If you will recall, he was still in digital TT when he fought Axel with the other two Keyblades. Who is to say these weren't digital as well (keep in mind that we don't actually see them appear in his hands before the battle)?

Well there's the fact that Roxas uses Oathkeeper and Oblivion in the real world to fight Sora...

Aye

It's presumable that using Roxas as a Friend card will not limit the Friend cards you play, only the Player card you use as a Player card will limit your Friend cards. You should be able to equip Wheel to Axel even if he's played as a Friend card.

Bwuh...easier way to explain this and remain canon...

The Kingdom Key that Sora uses can only be used by Sora and Riku, because of the whole "Riku was supposed to be the Keyblade wielder, but the Keyblade chose Sora instead", because of this both of them may use the Kingdom Key of Light, which is what this card will represent. Roxas has his own Keyblades, which are not the Kingdom Key of Light.

Because Roxas is a Keyblade wielder, he has his own Keyblade (One Keyblade for every Keyblade wielder, or in the case of Sora and Riku, one to share and one each).

EDIT: Quotation broke...

Sluppie said:

Well there's the fact that Roxas uses Oathkeeper and Oblivion in the real world to fight Sora...

I'm pretty sure that, when Sora fought Roxas in the "real world" (a world that never was... so how real could it be in the first place?), Sora had already (for lack of better term) absorbed Roxas. Therefore, this fight couldn't be a "physical" battle.

There is further evidence in the upcoming DS game that upholds my argument further, but I don't know how this site feels about spoilers, so I'll just mention that it exists in the form of Xion.

I stand by my question. But that's off topic.

If we now say that Roxas' effect of limiting your friends is void, who's is to say that you can still use Axel"s fire stuff? A judge! That's who! (Please?) And what about Xaldin? So long as he (and at least four spears) are in your Friend Zone after the first Challenge, you can Challenge again... right?

P.S. So, Roxas as a Friend can use Oblivion... hmm... unfortunatly impossible to equip Oathkeeper... unless you don't HAVE to have Kairi/Hayner to equip...? This is turning into a deck where you could just switch your Player Card before you start the game. I don't know if I like that or not.

Sora and Roxas' clash in TWTNW wasn't a physical battle, since Sora had absorbed Roxas after DiZ and Naminé's tinkering. It was a manifestation of Roxas' will, after he had been absorbed.

SPOILER ALERT! INFORMATION REGARDING AN UNRELEASED GAME IS ABOUT TO BE MENTIONED!

..Xion's use of the Keyblade is due to the fact that she's made from Sora's memories.

Roxas can use TWO Keyblades because he absorbed Xion, along with her ability to Wield a Keyblade, before that he could only wield the Keyblade that was his and his alone. This is why Roxas' Oathkeeper and Sora's Oathkeeper have DIFFERENT KEYCHAINS.

Spoiler over

tl;dr: Roxas' Kingdom Key is not THE Kingdom Key.

So... shouldn't Sora be able to use three Keyblades (One Piece style)?

gran_risa.gif

Trothael said:

Then what is it?

Broadway_Punk said:

gran_risa.gif

No...Xion can only wield it because she's made from Sora. Sora would just be re-absorbing his Keyblade wielding skills, whilst Roxas' Keyblade is his own Keyblade, and not Sora's.

Broadway_Punk said:

Trothael said:

Then what is it?

Bleh...this is getting difficult to explain.
Roxas is a Keyblade wielder, and as such has his own Keyblade, that is not Sora's Keyblade. The Kingdom Key that Roxas wields, is not the same as the Kingdom Key that Sora wields. Roxas' ability to wield a Keyblade comes from his connections to Ven as well as his connections to Sora (Apparently) and since there is one Keyblade for every Keyblade wielder...

Trothael said:

Broadway_Punk said:

gran_risa.gif

No...Xion can only wield it because she's made from Sora. Sora would just be re-absorbing his Keyblade wielding skills, whilst Roxas' Keyblade is his own Keyblade, and not Sora's.

Broadway_Punk said:

Trothael said:

Then what is it?

Bleh...this is getting difficult to explain.
Roxas is a Keyblade wielder, and as such has his own Keyblade, that is not Sora's Keyblade. The Kingdom Key that Roxas wields, is not the same as the Kingdom Key that Sora wields. Roxas' ability to wield a Keyblade comes from his connections to Ven as well as his connections to Sora (Apparently) and since there is one Keyblade for every Keyblade wielder...

You guys are getting a little to political into the game. Either way, Sora can only wield two because his drive allows him (in KH2), though Riku has be known to dual wield (once) and it's not impossible for any wielder to wield two at one time. Roxas does it because of the relation of the Oblivion and Oathkeper to Sora, and argueably Terra and Aqua to Ven.

Roxas said:

You guys are getting a little to political into the game. Either way, Sora can only wield two because his drive allows him (in KH2), though Riku has be known to dual wield (once) and it's not impossible for any wielder to wield two at one time. Roxas does it because of the relation of the Oblivion and Oathkeper to Sora, and argueably Terra and Aqua to Ven.

DOING IT WRONG

Spoiler alert!

Roxas couldn't wield two Keyblades BEFORE HE ABORBED XION.
Sora doesn't have to be in any of his Drive Forms to dual-wield.

L2WIKIPAGE

Trothael said:

Roxas said:

DOING IT WRONG

Spoiler alert!

Roxas couldn't wield two Keyblades BEFORE HE ABORBED XION.
Sora doesn't have to be in any of his Drive Forms to dual-wield.

L2WIKIPAGE

I meant in Kingdom Hearts 2. Though to kill my own crediability, he dual wielded againist Xemnas in his base state.

Broadway_Punk said:

If we now say that Roxas' effect of limiting your friends is void, who's is to say that you can still use Axel"s fire stuff? A judge! That's who! (Please?) And what about Xaldin? So long as he (and at least four spears) are in your Friend Zone after the first Challenge, you can Challenge again... right?

P.S. So, Roxas as a Friend can use Oblivion... hmm... unfortunatly impossible to equip Oathkeeper... unless you don't HAVE to have Kairi/Hayner to equip...? This is turning into a deck where you could just switch your Player Card before you start the game. I don't know if I like that or not.

Okay, this has gone far off topic, AND I still don't have these questions answered. I'm trying to make a good Organization/Roxas deck and I'm still unclear about these things. Can we please get back on topic before someone yells at us?

I'm sure I'll understand all this non-Kingdom Key questions by the time I finish playing through KH III and the 2 or 3 games that precede it.

Broadway_Punk said:

Broadway_Punk said:

Okay, this has gone far off topic, AND I still don't have these questions answered. I'm trying to make a good Organization/Roxas deck and I'm still unclear about these things. Can we please get back on topic before someone yells at us?

I'm sure I'll understand all this non-Kingdom Key questions by the time I finish playing through KH III and the 2 or 3 games that precede it.

Jaffer commented that Axel's ability would still work as a Friend Card, but Xaldin's would not. You have to have a Kairi or a Hayner to equip Oathkeeper....it's the only way around Oathkeeper's ability, satify or improvise.

Yeah pretty much when Set 5 rolls around and you have all 6 Org members that were in Kingdom Hearts 2 .... you can swap Player cards.l though the Nobodies will get different effects.

Awesome, thanks.

Ant other opinions/ rulings on the Magic/Friend stuff?

So in the CARD game, can you equip Oathkeeper and Oblivion to Roxas at the same time or can he only have one equipped?

Also for Hayners effect, if you still have Oathkeeper in play does that mean you have to discard it then look for another Oathkeeper in your deck?

And since he's ORGANIZATION 13 can i play an Assassin for a friend card because there from Twilight Town?

Jaffer ruled on the Magical Friends for Roxas. It's not possible unless they are Twilight Town Magical Friends

And since Magic/Friends don't have any world card association...

...yeah.

Kay, here are my questions that weren't answered in this thread (or just full clarification):

#1a. Is there any reason why you couldn't have up to 3 copys of any Player/XIII in a Player/XIII deck?

#1b. If the above is possible, then there's also nothing stopping you from having multiple Player/XIII cards of the same name in your friend area? (because of the errata'd Player/XIII card text)

#2. If I understand Roxas ' previous post correctly, you still get Axel's player effect even if he's played as a Friend?

#3a. Do you also still get the Chakrams effect if they are equipted to your Axel in the friend area?

#3b. If I understand Roxas ' last post correctly, you do not get the double Challenge if you have a Xaldin in your Friend area with at least 4 Spear attached? (if this is correct, I recommend an errata be made on the Spear card)

devilmonkey said:

Kay, here are my questions that weren't answered in this thread (or just full clarification):

#1a. Is there any reason why you couldn't have up to 3 copys of any Player/XIII in a Player/XIII deck?

#1b. If the above is possible, then there's also nothing stopping you from having multiple Player/XIII cards of the same name in your friend area? (because of the errata'd Player/XIII card text)

#2. If I understand Roxas ' previous post correctly, you still get Axel's player effect even if he's played as a Friend?

#3a. Do you also still get the Chakrams effect if they are equipted to your Axel in the friend area?

#3b. If I understand Roxas ' last post correctly, you do not get the double Challenge if you have a Xaldin in your Friend area with at least 4 Spear attached? (if this is correct, I recommend an errata be made on the Spear card)

1a - There's nothing stopping you from having multiples of any Player card in any deck. However, one of them MUST be assigned as the constant Player card and the rest just take up space. Only Player/XIII can make use of having additional Player cards in a deck.

1b - Yes there is. The errata mentions that Nobody cards may have multiple cards of the same name in play, not Player/XIII cards. Player/XIII played as Friends obey Unique Card rule.

2 - Urgh...I don't think you do, I vaguely remember Jaffer saying that his effect only applied when he's a Player card. Though the -5 in Challenges against Roxas should still stand.

3a - Yeah, you should do.

3b - Aye, that's what Jaffer said. Xaldin's effect only applies whilst he's a Player.

2- Yeah, Axel's ability to play Fire effect magic cards is still active when he is a friend.

Roxas said:

2- Yeah, Axel's ability to play Fire effect magic cards is still active when he is a friend.

...so did Jaffer not say something about his effect not working? WHO DO I BELIEVE

devilmonkey said:

Roxas said:

...so did Jaffer not say something about his effect not working? WHO DO I BELIEVE

He's exactly quote can be found in the Card of the Day section where I believe he said Axel's effect works constantly while Xaldin's does not. if I find that quote I will post it here.

~Roxas

ffgjaffer said: pg8

Hello Everybody,

I just checked. With regard to this portion of Axel's text:

"Axel" can play all "Fire effect" Magic Cards regardless of the Magic Value.

Yes, whether Axel is played as a Friend or Player, the special ability applies.