Discarded defense tokens

By Emmelc, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Each type of defense token can be sent once per attack, after which they become exhausted. However you have the option of using them again by discarding them if you found it necessary. Here's where it gets me confused. Exhausted tokens readies during the status phase where as discarded tokens are in the token bank. Do ships regain their defense tokens if they have been discarded during the status phase? I'm thinking no as discarding the tokens seems to be a one-time thing. I haven't been able to find anything in the Learn to Play or RRG about this. Please enlighten me.

How can "discard it" mean anything else than "put it back in the box and never use it again during this game" unless otherwise specified (like it is done for discarded damage and upgrade cards and command dials)?

No, discarded tokens are not recovered at any point in the game currently.

A VSD has you in his front and side arc at close range

his first attack from the front is 3 red + 3 (black or blue depending on variant) he whollops you with a zillion hits you brace for impact and EXHAUST your brace

Then

his broadside does a nother ton of hits to avoid being blown up you DISCARD your Brace (never to be used again) limping away on your turn just shy of being totally destroyed

... no longer able to use Brace again this game

Good, good. I was just making sure. :)

Thanks.

Oh what about when a faceup damage card tells you to discard all your defensive tokens. And the card doesn't say turn face down after.

So what if the player repairs that face up damage card? Do you get all discarded defensive tokens back?

I played it that you don't. Discarded means gone for good. That card should should say turn face down after IMO.

Without double checking the text on the card your interpretation sounds right.

And yes, it seems unusual that it doesn't tell you to flip it down afterwards like the other one time effects.

Oh what about when a faceup damage card tells you to discard all your defensive tokens. And the card doesn't say turn face down after.

So what if the player repairs that face up damage card? Do you get all discarded defensive tokens back?

I played it that you don't. Discarded means gone for good. That card should should say turn face down after IMO.

"Exhaust" would be turning the defense token over (red side up) and "discard" would be gone for good. I'd think if you were meant to "get them back" when the damage card ceases being in effect it would be some sort of "can't use your defense tokens while this damage card is face up" language.