2 players possible ?

By MetalHead84, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Do you know if there's any variant to play with only 2 players ? I know the game is for a minimum of 3 players, but I have buy it and thinking to get some friends to play but that doesn't happen, so the game wasn't use in 1 year.

So I was wondering if there's any way I can play with only one other player ?

2 Player mode has a few bad things, for one you'll cut the diplomatic aspect of the game out totally. On the other side one of the two players will start with two "specials " [crow throne blade] my advice would be to make certain the blade is with one player, the other two with the other.

to a Balanced game board it should eb easyest to cut the map right at the neck, though i have no board with me, imagine the cut tob e from the lowest border of the Greyjoy-starting-sea to the north-border of the Barethon starting seas.

There you'd go with a nearly balanced map, though, keep in mind, once one player has fallen way back in power in comparison to the other, its "game over". Theres no other player to "distract the strong one from victory" which often is all AGoT is about.

yeah, in my oppinion GoT is generally a game for 5 (6 with expansion) players. Even 4 players isn't enough for best experience. I'm sure, that there IS some way to play even 2-players game... question is " what for?" ??? ;) There is a lot of games for 2 players, and they will work MUCH better. Play GoT with 5, let the diplomacy show who is a person that is able to lose the game with a dignity, after his "brothers" betrayal ;)

I could see it working with the Storm of Swords expansion by giving one player both Stark and Baratheon and the other Grayjoy and Lannister. Maybe add one to three claim to the victory condition.

Just crossed my mind - after clash of kings card there could be auction for controlling houses. Basically it's like buying allies. That would add some human randomness in the game that the 2-player game lacks. By the throne-track all houses are to be auctioned. Players can use all the remaining power of all houses they controlled between two clash of kings. The highest bidder takes control of the house till the next auction...

Worth a try?