Pinocchio Trick... Does this work?

By Sluppie, in Rules Discussions

..And if it doesn't, why not?

So for reference, here's the card text of Pinocchio: "LIAR: You may discard this card from your Friend Area and declare a card name during your Action Phase. If you do so, your opponent reveals his/her hand and discards all cards with the name you declared."

So going with that, let's say you draw your cards and somehow end up with two copies of Pinocchio in your hand. Your opponent is holding one card in his hand and you have no idea what it is.

You play one Pinocchio. You declare any card name... doesn't matter what. You can call "Simba" on a player running a Dark Deck for all it's worth. You declare the name and discard Pinocchio at the same time.

Then he shows you his hand. Basically his one card. Let's say it's Ultima Weapon, but it could be anything. You now know exactly what he has in his hand.

So you've discarded one Pinocchio, which means there's no Pinocchio in the field and one Pinocchio in your hand. It's still your turn, and you're still in the Action phase.

You play your second Pinocchio. You call out "Ultima Weapon" or whatever it is. He now discards the one awesome card that he was holding on to and you discard your Pinocchio.

Basically works 100% of the time. Is there some ruling I don't know about or rule that I've overlooked that prevents this? I'm not asking if it's cheap or dirty. I'm just asking if it works.

Sluppie said:

..And if it doesn't, why not?

So for reference, here's the card text of Pinocchio: "LIAR: You may discard this card from your Friend Area and declare a card name during your Action Phase. If you do so, your opponent reveals his/her hand and discards all cards with the name you declared."

So going with that, let's say you draw your cards and somehow end up with two copies of Pinocchio in your hand. Your opponent is holding one card in his hand and you have no idea what it is.

You play one Pinocchio. You declare any card name... doesn't matter what. You can call "Simba" on a player running a Dark Deck for all it's worth. You declare the name and discard Pinocchio at the same time.

Then he shows you his hand. Basically his one card. Let's say it's Ultima Weapon, but it could be anything. You now know exactly what he has in his hand.

So you've discarded one Pinocchio, which means there's no Pinocchio in the field and one Pinocchio in your hand. It's still your turn, and you're still in the Action phase.

You play your second Pinocchio. You call out "Ultima Weapon" or whatever it is. He now discards the one awesome card that he was holding on to and you discard your Pinocchio.

Basically works 100% of the time. Is there some ruling I don't know about or rule that I've overlooked that prevents this? I'm not asking if it's cheap or dirty. I'm just asking if it works.

Welcome to the current Meta, how nice of you to finally join us....

this is why every GOOD deck runs three Pinnochios. He's one of the best cards in the game, because of this amazing hand control ability.

Gee... and a while ago I told someone in the deck thread that his 3x Pinocchio cards were dead weight. I guess I should take that back.

It's even more entertainin if you have a Herc in hand along with three Pinocchios as well.

Bounce a heartless you don't like (Behemoth, persay), discard Pinocchio, declarin Behemoth. Look at the rest of their hand, 'n play the other Pinocchios as you so wish, now knowin the cards they have.

It really can rip up a person's hand quite easily 'n be quite entertainin to boot.

Yes, that too is a pretty funny trick sir...and why WRs can run 3x Pinnochio as well.

Another reason why, I believe, he's the second best card in the game right now (behind the King and barring any AMAZING Set IV Cards)

Well in case I ever run against either of you in a tourny, I'm going to play Pinocchio and then declare "Pinocchio" just so you can't pull that kind of stuff on me.

At least for that turn, lol.

Heheh, believe you me, it's been a fun trick to play. Knock out your opponent's hand, challenge them in the face, whack away at their health.. quite useful when you know you're in control.

Though, I must give kudos to my friend. He's the one who thought up the Hercnocchio trick. Never saw it comin, 'n it tore my hand apart, then rip'd two HP from the followin challenge.

I then proceeded to slam him with a constant Soul Sephiroth Eater for the remainin 3 turns. He didn't like me after that.

It was pretty funny, actually.

What about comboing Abu with Pinocchio?

Cameron

To be honest, that's all Abu is good for, so drawing it when you don't have a pinochio just makes it a dead draw.

Its easier to just run 3 Pinochios and draw multiples.

True, and most of the time you would know what's frequents each type of deck so you have a easier time picking something off the first time and then following up picking off the other. Efficency at it's best.

Ecomics21 said:

To be honest, that's all Abu is good for, so drawing it when you don't have a pinochio just makes it a dead draw.

Its easier to just run 3 Pinochios and draw multiples.

QFT