Thinking of cutting a short ruler

By Larac, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

As I own a laser cutter, 20th wedding gift from wife, Was thinking of making a single section of ruler.

Would be a full section with the end part. One for Speed 1 and another for Speed 2.

As I was finding the full length getting in the way.

As long as they match would you have an issue of it being used in a game?

We kept running the long ruler into ships.

Are we positive that ruler expansion is ment to be configurable? Or is FFG simply saying: "Hey, if this is your second measure tool, you could only assemble half the segments for a slow tool." I know it's just a computer render, but it looks identical to what came in the core box.

Cool, I do think it would help.

Be really nice if the FFG one came with 2 end parts, then you could have Speed 1, 2, and 3-4.

But a company that shorts you dice in every game would not do that.

It'd be nice to see 3rd party acrylic tools, with magnet joints for quick/easy reconfiguration.

Are we positive that ruler expansion is ment to be configurable? Or is FFG simply saying: "Hey, if this is your second measure tool, you could only assemble half the segments for a slow tool." I know it's just a computer render, but it looks identical to what came in the core box.

I don't have the CORE yet, so I don't know if the tool is re-configurable. Might have to buy multiple tools for multiple lengths . But read the link up there, they explicitly says it can be used for shorter lengths. The image is not representative because they would also have to include the markers and tokens with it.

Yeah, I see what your saying. Shorter tools will be aloud as they are selling a product with the pitch that you can do exactly that.

I suspect that is why the numbers are card chits and not molded onto the ruler - I have a second set and the ruler is shortened for VSD use :)

for a speed 1-2 tool how would YOU assemble your maneuver tool

(pics would be great if anyone does this)

I'd take the first and second segments and cap it with the arrow.

Last night I used the maneuver tool from my second core set to make shorter maneuver tools. I made one for speed 2 using the base segment and two more segments, and one for speed one using the last segment and the arrow. After reading Scottie's post, I decided I liked having the arrow on my speed 2 tool better, and then I'd just use it for speed 1, since it's only 2 segments long instead of 3 (with the arrow not counting because it's so short)

It took me all of 5 seconds to take apart the tools and reconfigure them. The trick was to bend the outer segment down to disengage the catch of the click-thing.