about priests...

By JA_42, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hello

I'm GM and playing to this edition of Warhammer since the beginning... so long years (of pleasure)! and have all products (except some print on demand unused by my players)

but never any of my player try to play a priest... until now :/

So, I read again books (blessing and faith) and still have many questions:

- is primary caracteristics for priest always FEL and WP? no link with the precise faith?

- how can we create a realistic character? means for example, with Sigmar: need 4 caracteristics very high (ST, TG, FEL, WP) with 3 minimum, but probably 4 (ST, TG, WP)

- after creating this priest, each advanced linked with martial skills are outside the carrier path (means increase ST, ...)

But maybe, probably, I miss something?

Yes, primary characteristics are allways Fel and Wp for priests. Most blessings uses Invocation (Fel) and Curry Favour uses Piety (Wp).

So these are important for all priests, regardless of which specific faith they have.

For a Sigmarite you could start off with this during character creation:

St 4

To 3

Ag 3

Fel 4

Int 3

Wp 3

That would cost you 20 creation points, leaving you with 5 to spare for skills, actions, talents and wealth. Or you could start off with To 4 and Fel 3 instead and then start increasing Fel and/or Wp to 4 during your careers. You could also go for Ag 2 and/or Int 2 to and have more creation points left after characteristic improvements (but I would not recommend it).

Sigmar Priests also get access to weapon skill and discipline) as a career skills, see page 38 Signs of Faith. And I would argue that beeing able to train weapon skill in your career is better than improving Strength.

Thanks

But what's about progression, with Xps... Sigmarites are brawling and fighting priest, and progress in this way is very difficult and costly?

Could be their fate :) but seems more simple to play a "just" fighter...

Maybe priests are suit for more skilled players?

I prefer in this way

St 4

To 4

Ag 3

Fel 3

Int 2

Wp 4

for 21 pts... or only 3 in Wp, fo 17 pts? just because it's expensive to progress in ST and To later?

Yes, that could work as well.

I find that you can do a lot of damage in a fight with Str 4 and a Great Weapon.

So it is possible to play a brawling priest with "only" Str 4.

Most damage comes from what action cards you use and from a high WS.