Can u suffer multi criticals? Shots at squadrons?

By Daclaw, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I have two questions from my first game.

1. From one shot can a ship suffer multiple criticals? Or will it suffer one critical and the rest of the criticals are just hits?

2. If a ship shoots at a squadron does it do one attack on every squadron in its hull arc that it can see? Does it still have its second shot that it can shoot from another hull arc?

1. Every critical face counts as 1 hit. So far as I understand, you can have only 1 critical effect per attack.

2. If you elect to attack squadrons in that hull zone, you fire at every squadron in range. I'm pretty sure this only counts as 1 attack action, even though you create a new attack pool for each squadron.

I have two questions from my first game.

1. From one shot can a ship suffer multiple criticals? Or will it suffer one critical and the rest of the criticals are just hits?

2. If a ship shoots at a squadron does it do one attack on every squadron in its hull arc that it can see? Does it still have its second shot that it can shoot from another hull arc?

1. From the rules reference:

• Page 4 Critical Effects: "The attacker can resolve only one critical effect per attack" and "The standard critical effect is [crit symbol]: If the defender is dealt at least one damage card by this attack, deal the first damage card faceup."
  • Page 5 Dice Icons: "Critical [crit symbol]: if the attacker and defender are ships, this icon adds one damage to the damage total and can trigger a critical effect"

So (currently) if you get multiple crit results on your attack roll against a ship from a ship or bomber, you can resolve one critical effect (faceup damage card or spend the critical die to trigger an upgrade card such as Dodonna's Pride) and the remainder will cause hits.

2. From the rules reference:

• Page 2 Attack Step 6. Declare Additional Squadron Target: "If the attacker is a ship and the defender is a squadron, the attacker can declare another enemy squadron as a defender and repeat steps 2 through 6. The new defender must be inside the firing arc and at attack range of the same attacking hull zone. Each squadron can be targeted only once per attack."
  • Page 2 Attack: "A ship can perform two attacks during its activation, but it cannot attack from the same hull zone more than once per activation."

Yes, when performing anti-squadron attacks you can target each squadron within the arc of the attacking hull zone and perform and an independent attack against each target. You still get to perform your second attack from a different hull zone.

So (currently) if you get multiple crit results on your attack roll against a ship from a ship or bomber, you can resolve one critical effect (faceup damage card or spend the critical die to trigger an upgrade card such as Dodonna's Pride) and the remainder will cause hits.

You don't necessarily have to "spend" the die to cause a critical effect. Spending would imply that the die is removed from the pool and therefore does not do its damage anymore.

Some critical effects may require you to spend some die or result. Dodonna's Pride however does not ask you to "spend" a die, but rather cancel all attack dice to do something.

Reference Rules, p4, Critical Effects

The attacker does not spend a die icon to resolve a critical effect unless the effect says otherwise.

Edited by chrisdk

You don't necessarily have to "spend" the die to cause a critical effect. Spending would imply that the die is removed from the pool and therefore does not do its damage anymore.

Some critical effects may require you to spend some die or result. Dodonna's Pride however does not ask you to "spend" a die, but rather cancel all attack dice to do something.

Reference Rules, p4, Critical Effects

The attacker does not spend a die icon to resolve a critical effect unless the effect says otherwise.

Bad example with Dodonna's Pride and using the word spend.

But the point was you can't resolve one critical effect as a faceup damage card and then use a second "crit" result to resolve another effect, such as "Overload pulse"