With the live action movie announced - ROBOTECH for LCG format!

By jediMasterLenny, in Living Card Games

I just think this would be awesome, and maybe even has potential for coop play. Robotech is one of the better mech franchises (since I think its a much longer shot to get rights to Gundam) and I think it would be great for LCG formats! Who is with me?

I've never played Robotech, but I certainly would consider picking it up if it was released as a solo/coop game (LotR LCG is currently my favourite game).

I wouldn't wish dealing with Harmony Gold on my worst enemies. Robotic is a license that has killed bigger companies than FFG. If you want to offer this level than look to Heavy Gear, Battletech, or any of the newer anime met shows. If you insist on the Robotech Mecha then fall back to Macross and stay away from Harmony Gold

Macross (the anime series that inspired Robotech) is a way better license. It also has spin-offs and sequel/prequel that went way beyond just Robotech. Robotech actually used 3 different and completely unrelated Japanimation series to make up part 1-3, even though most people are only familiar with part 1 (which is the Macross part).

Edited by Star Lord

IN a Mech LCG game, I like to see BattleTech, not Robotech....

Guess I need to familiarize myself on the difference between RoboTech and BattleTech… embarrassed to say that I've never really paid attention to either.

well since, in its first years, Battletech licensed several mech designs from Robotech that can be forgiven. Those designs don't exist anymore as Robotech got famous and pulled the license but the Batteltech storyline is, IMO, much deeper and richer. Mankind has moved into space but a loss of central power has created dozens of political power basses. The five largest have found themselves in near constant battle for several hundred years. BattelMechs are the way war is fought bring 30m tall war machines onto the field lessens the need for high troop deployments. The problem is total warfare leaves little time for research and advancement so technology stagnated and much of the known sphere of planets fell into an almost feudal state with space travel and Mechs. Thing like the working of warp engines and communicating across stelar distances became a ritualistic thing creating tech religions. As time progressed Mankind's failures came back to haunt them. The army of the old central power had run off into unknown parts of space and morphed into a martial society that believes the rest of mankind should be subjugated. These Clans have better technology, better Warriors, and new Mech designs. The rest of the s[here beat back the clans and now the battle for control continues

Batteltech is owned by Topps with the table top game licensed to Catalyst Game Labs and the computer games licensed to Microsoft. Batteltech had a CCG created by WotC but that license is long gone.

http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/battletech/

Thanks for the quick overview and link, Tekwych. Must admit that I'm not a big fan of anime (was that a blasphemous thing to say in this thread?), so might not be quite so excited about a RoboTech LCG, but the Battletech storyline sounds interesting.

Edited by TwiceBornh

Battle tech can be seen at three different levels, the Interstellar ships, the Mecha, and the individual grunts that fight the war. I can see this similar to Star Wars Armada, Star Wars X-Wing and Star Wars Imperial Assault.

What if the LCG worked at two levels? What if you play as the factions waging war then shift to the Mecha for one on one combat? I see the possibilities of using objective sets (Star Wars LCG), moving from battle to battle (The planets of Warhammer Conquest) and maybe the scenarios of LOTR.

As much as I love Robotech (and I really really do) I just think it would be a hard sell in this day and age. And with the issues that they (Palladium Games) had with the miniature line last year, I don't think that would help anything.