MG fatigued question

By ainmiller, in Tide of Iron

Hallo,

i played toi serveral times, but there is one question left: a mg Crew is in op fire mode, i make an normal attack and make one hit.

is the mg Crew now fatigued or must a make an suppressive attack to pin the crew?

Thanks for your answers!

Benedikt

The MG squad is not fatigued when in opfire mode if it is the only figure that attacks from its squad (assuming the squad's other figures are infantry or an officer). In your example, the mg in opfire made a normal attack with one success. The enemy unit loses one figure and continues its move. MGs in opfire really benefit with suppressive attacks--this way an enemy unit is pinned/disrupted in the middle of the battlefield and may be subjected to other unit attacks.

i guess the problem is something else (at least its my problem now...):

on p. 32 the rules say, if the active squad is hit by supressive fire, it is imidiately (at least) pinned an thus has to end its move

in the next paragraph the rules say as an exception heavy vehicles being only lightly damaged may move on. this paragraph only makes sense if the paragraph above means that squads also end their move when they are being hit by normal fire...wich would be completely out of the normal rules...

i'm a bit confused...

Infantry squads are pinned/disrupted by suppressive attacks only. Vehicles are not affected by suppressive attacks.

Normal attacks that cause light damage against light vehicles (trucks, half-tracks) cause -1 MV and -1 Armor. Also, they must immediately end their movement in the hex they are damaged. Normal attacks that cause heavy damage against light vehicles destroy result in No Movement, and 1/2 Firepower.

Normal attacks that cause light damage against a heavy vehicle (tank) cause -1 MV and -1 Armor, but may continue movement as normal. Heavy damage affects heavy vehicles the same as light vehicles. Hope this helps. See page 28 in the side bar for the exact info.

On p.28, under Normal Attacks and Suppressive Attacks, it states "Depending on the attack (normal or suppressive) and the type of target unit, hits will have different effects. In the Vehicle Damage box, there is additional information about Op-fire against vehicles. Basically, there are two kinds of attacks against squads and only one against vehicles. The exception on p.32 is reiterating the same statement from p.28 with the focus on 'fatigued', and has nothing to do with normal fire (against squads), but rather the type of fire that causes fatigue in a unit (squad vs vehicle).

Hallo,

i think i have to correct my question: the mg Crew is the enemy an i attack them.

a mg Crew is in op fire mode, i make an normal attack and make one hit.

is the mg Crew now fatigued or must a make an suppressive attack to pin the crew?

I want to achieve, that the mg Crew can not make op fire any longer.

I hope the question is now clearer now.

ainmiller

You must supress the MG crew for them to lose the OP fire. Or, of course, you must kill them all.

The only thing I have to add to this is that you want to be aware of what operations cards your opponent has in play. I seem to recall there's one used in at least one scenerio that allows pinned (though maybe not disrupted) squads to still fire at 1/2 firepower.

Hi!

I´m new in this forum and i have a similar question about MG fatigued:

According to rulebook page 37 MG Crew: Rapid op Fire "...without becoming fatigued - as long only the machine gun crew(s) participate in the op fire attack"

If a MG crew is the leading unit in an concentrated Op fire and the supporting unit is a infantry squad does the MG squad becomes fatigued?

Thanks

what it means is that if you have a squad with an MG crew and lets say 2 Regular infantry if all of them fire the squad is fatigued but if only the MG crew fires their still in OP fire

Ok that means that the MG crew can participate in every concentrated opfire as supporting unit and it will not becomming fatigued independent of the leading unit, and vice versa.

Thank you

your welcome happy.gif