Dumb Question about Speed

By PenguinBonaparte, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I can't find it so far, but what is the starting speed for ships? It says that, if Keanu Reeves or Sandra Bullock is unavailable, you can only increase or decrease speed with navigate commands or tokens, but do you start at 0? Is the first turn always going to have to be just accelerating to get into battle? That would be weird with the 6 turn limit, and probably isn't the case given the recommended actions in the quick start scenario. Thanks!

RRG, p 10, "Setup". Emphasis mine:

◊ Ships must be placed within their player’s deployment zones. When a player places a ship, he must set its speed dial to a speed available on its speed chart.

It can be any speed available to that ship, including zero .

Edited by caelenvasius

Thanks!

◊ Ships must be placed within their player’s deployment zones. When a player places a ship, he must set its speed dial to a speed available on its speed chart.

Was that the consensus we came to? Last thread I remember looking at, I thought the agreement was "0" was not a valid starting speed, because "0" isn't listed on any ship's speed chart.

Getting into semantics, I suppose, but what can I say.

Was that the consensus we came to? Last thread I remember looking at, I thought the agreement was "0" was not a valid starting speed, because "0" isn't listed on any ship's speed chart.

Getting into semantics, I suppose, but what can I say.

I wasn't part of that thread, so I'm not aware of any "consensus", but you bring up a curious point. I'd assume you can start a ship at 0, since every ship has it, but then again, you are completely correct that speed 0 is not actually on any cards. I'm not sure at this point...

I would agree that you could not "start at zero. You could however start at 1 and take a nav command to reduce your speed to 0 before moving, so it is possible but requires an action

I also agree - 0 is not on any ship speed chart, therefore going by the rules it is not elligible to be selected as a starting speed.

Zero isn't a speed available on any ship's chart.

Can someone put up a link to the original thread, regarding "0" speed on start.

If the argument is "you can't start at speed 0, because it is not on the speed chart". I would say "you aren't allowed to lower your speed to zero, at all, because it not on your speed chart". I think that is fair, it's the same reasoning applied in another direction.

Can someone put up a link to the original thread, regarding "0" speed on start.

If the argument is "you can't start at speed 0, because it is not on the speed chart". I would say "you aren't allowed to lower your speed to zero, at all, because it not on your speed chart". I think that is fair, it's the same reasoning applied in another direction.

Except that the Reference Rule page 11 "Speed" explicitly states that the minimum speed of all Ships is "0" (without mentioning the speed chart explicitly) and that the maximum is stated in its speed chart.

So the argument does not work the other way around.

Edited by chrisdk