Dominator title - use shields from multiple hull zones?

By Fetterkey, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

The Dominator title states "While attacking at close-medium range, you may spend up to 2 shields from any of your hull zones to add the same number of blue dice to your attack pool." Are you permitted to spend shields from multiple hull zones to add dice with this ability?

The pluralization of 'zones' suggests yes since the card would still be readable if it weren't plural, but that's all I can really go off of there. It does raise another interesting question though in that the title specifies dice pool, so you would be adding these dice BEFORE rolling, unlike other dice modifying effects.

I 2nd Brian_Black

As I understand this, it is also permitted every time you make an attack. That includes anti-squadron attacks and also the 2nd normal attack you get to make per round. This ship can really dish out some damage.

The question is, does "any hull zone" mean you can take shields from "any hull zone" to enhance your attacks, or simply that "any hull zone" is capable of borrowing its own shields to enhance your own attacks?

I think it is the former, but I can see an argument being made for the latter.

The question is, does "any hull zone" mean you can take shields from "any hull zone" to enhance your attacks, or simply that "any hull zone" is capable of borrowing its own shields to enhance your own attacks?

Pretty sure the former is correct.

Otherwise they'd have written it as "...you may spend up to two shields from the attacking hull zone..."

Your quoting a wording that isn't present on the card. The card is worded differently.

My mistake, I was going off of the OP.

Regardless, the wording hardly varies... "any of your hull zones" doesnt add much that I wasn't already giving it.

Again, I agree with you gentlemen, but I think the wording could be tightened up.

Pretty sure the former is correct.

Otherwise they'd have written it as "...you may spend up to two shields from the attacking hull zone..."

That seems substantially different, as it would constrain you to using one zone and having that zone be the attacking zone.

Right now I see two interpretations that seem equally valid based on implicit content:

1) ...you may spend up to 2 shields from any combination of your hull zones...

and

2) ...you may spend up to 2 shields from any one of your hull zones...

Edited by Fetterkey

If you use Dominator to fire anti-squadron attacks, does each shot benefit from the -2 shields? Or do you need to subtract 2 shields for each shot you make against each squadron?

If you use Dominator to fire anti-squadron attacks, does each shot benefit from the -2 shields? Or do you need to subtract 2 shields for each shot you make against each squadron?

Each Attack against a squadron is made separately and each Attack Pool is formed, rolled and modified separately. Hence you would have to spend the shields for every single shot.

Edit: Also note that it happens in the "modify dice" step, so you get to see the result of your regular attack pool first.

Edited by chrisdk

My brain is not working. It's 2 shields max per attack, right? And you can burn/borrow shields from anywhere on your ship to do so? I still keep seeing "up to 2 shields from any of your hull zones" and thinking: "Could you take 2 shields from every hull zone?"

dominator.png

My brain is not working. It's 2 shields max per attack, right? And you can burn/borrow shields from anywhere on your ship to do so? I still keep seeing "up to 2 shields from any of your hull zones" and thinking: "Could you take 2 shields from every hull zone?"

dominator.png

Spend 2 shield from ANY of your hull zones - as opposed to EACH of your hull zones.

So yeah just 2 taken from where ever you can.

That's what I figured, just wanted to throw it out there.