Rules Reference trumps Learn to Play, right?

By Gibarian, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Kind of a minor quibble here, that I don't think anyone IRL would ever struggle with.

That said:

Learn to Play --> Navigate Command (pg 12)

When a ship is determining course for movement, it may spend its Navigate command dial to increase or decrease its speed by one.

Rules Reference --> Commands --> Navigate (pg 3)

Dial: Increase or decrease the ship's speed by one, and/or increase the yaw value of one joint by one for this maneuver.

By my reading, if the L2P guide was all we had to go by, spending a Navigate command dial would *force* you to alter your speed. You would be compelled to either increase or decrease it, but you could not merely keep it set to the value it started the round at. If you want the click, you gotta give it some stick.

The RR contains the "and/or" statement and clearly allows you to leave your speed alone if all you want is the extra yaw click.

We can all agree that the RR is the word of god here, right?

Edited by Gibarian
If you want the click, you gotta give it some stick.

I think that this is incorrect and that the Rules Reference guide indeed supercedes the L2P guide.

That being said, I move to have the above statement made into law based on its own lyrical merits.

You appear to be overlooking the word 'may' in the first reference.

If you want the click, you gotta give it some stick.

I think that this is incorrect and that the Rules Reference guide indeed supercedes the L2P guide.

That being said, I move to have the above statement made into law based on its own lyrical merits.

We don't have to agree here, the Rules say that the RR is always right.

Page 1 of the Rules Reference:

If something in this booklet contradicts the Learn to Play booklet, the Rules Reference booklet is correct.

can I ever use a token to get my VSD to push the engines move 3 for one turn or you can only move up and down to your max speed

and does the extra Yaw allow extra clicks outside the guideline on the card (say I can click twice on the first dial)

No, you are still limited by the maximum speed.
Yes, the extra Yaw is exactly what allows you to click twice on the first dial (assuming you are allowed to click there once already).

Just because I am not sure if there may be a misunderstanding: You get to click as many times as you like for the maneuver within the limits of the speedchart even without any Navigation commands, not just once.
So if you had a ship with 1 click at I and 2 Clicks at II you would already be allowed those three clicks in total.

that is the way I read it just wanted to make sure

????

so with a Navigation command and a Navigation token a VSD can click twice on the first and twice on the second dials (moving 2 already)

trying to make that darn shoebox move as much as he can

and how does the NAV card play into that actually

that is the way I read it just wanted to make sure

????

so with a Navigation command and a Navigation token a VSD can click twice on the first and twice on the second dials (moving 2 already)

IIRC and the spoiled cards didn't change at Speed 2 your Chart looks like this:

1 = -

2 = I

So if you DO have the upgrade that allows you to use the token for extra yaw and you spend both you now have two options:

1 = 2 clicks (both your extra clicks)

2 = 1 click

OR

1 = 1 click (one of your extra clicks)

2 = 2 clicks (the other of your extra clicks)

yes thank you

The navigation token can only be used to change speed, not add clicks to the maneuver tool, unless you have the NAV Team card.

Unfortunately, the VSD can't take that card. You would be unable to add more than one click (by spending the navigation dial) to what you are allowed my your maneuver chart.

We don't have to agree here, the Rules say that the RR is always right.

Page 1 of the Rules Reference:

If something in this booklet contradicts the Learn to Play booklet, the Rules Reference booklet is correct.

This is correct. The RR is the final word.