Session Report No. 1

By manfromleng, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Session Report No. 1

GOO: Shudde M’ell (with Tulzscha)
CHARACTERS (Random)
  1. Bob Jenkins (Camouflage, Time Bomb, Research Materials, Holy Water and Cabala of Saboth).
  2. Jenny Barnes (Lore, Greater Banishment, Necronomicon, Flare Gun).
  3. Diana Stanley (Silver Twilight Membership, Run, Dread Curse of Azathoth, Telescope).
Bob, Jenny and Diana took on Shudde M’ell and Tulzscha last week. Usually I play four characters, but this time I decided to play three. I use all the expansions (minus Black Goat of the Woods). The only card I removed was Join the Winning Team. I forgot Bob and Jenny had errata, but it probably didn’t make a difference in the end. Here's how the game went down:
CHAPTER 1 – Egyptian Exhibit Visits Miskatonic University
A gate to the Abyss opens at the Witch House, spawning a Mummy and a Cultist that move to the French Hill Streets. There’s strange things going on at the university, but nobody bothers to investigate. A rift progress marker is placed on Track No. 3 (1/4). Diana gives $3 to Bob, who stays put to do some shopping. Jenny heads to the Curiosity Shop, while Diana moves to the Black Cave and picks up two clues. Bob buys a flamethrower, which would prove to be very useful indeed. Jenny buys an Enchanted Blade. Diana becomes Lost in Time and Space as a result of her encounter at the cave. She ditches the Telescope to avoid being delayed.
CHAPTER 2 – Unusual Phenomena Sighted in Arkham!
Ouch! Arkham decides to kick the game into high gear. A gate to Yuggoth opens at the Unvisited Isle, spawning another Cultist. It’s joined by the black, hexagonal Rift Marker from Track No. 3. Jenny catches a train to Central Hill to investigate the source of the unusual phenomena. Diana moves to the Silver Twilight Lodge, gaining a clue token. Bob moves to the French Hill streets and makes short work of the Mummy with his flamethrower. Diana uses a magic ring she discovers at the lodge to zap the Cultist lurking nearby.
CHAPTER 3 – Couriers in Town
A gate to R’lyeh opens at Wizard Hill, spawning a Tcho-tcho. The Rift marker moves to the Merchant District Streets, spawning a Mi-go and adding a counter to the Doom track. Jenny uses the couriers to trade the Enchanted Blade to Diana for the Dread Curse of Azathoth. Then she sends the flare gun to Bob. Diana moves to the Witch House. Bob reads the Cabala Saboth, improving his Luck, before heading to the Merchant District Streets. The Mi-go goes up in flames, and Bob draws For the Greater Good (ugh). Jenny peruses the Necronomicon, learning . . . Dread Curse of Azathoth. Then she moves to the Congregational Hospital. Diana plunges into the Abyss, while Jenny finds a clue and investigates the mysterious rift. Diana loses 1 SAN exploring the Abyss.
CHAPTER 4 – Disturbing the Dead
A gate to R’lyeh opens at the Black Cave, spawning a Yithian, which moves to the Rivertown Streets. Diana regains the San she lost exploring the Abyss. The Rift Marker moves to the Northside Streets, spawning a Hound of Tindalos. A Rift Progress Marker is added to Track No. 2 (1/4). Bob moves to the Rivertown Streets and lights up the Yithian but needs to burn Research Materials to finish the job. Diana continues her journey through the Abyss. Jenny stays at Congregational Hospital to continue her investigation into the mysterious rift plaguing Arkham, losing 2 SAN in the process. Diana loses 1 SAN and 1 STA in the Abyss.
CHAPTER 5 – Lodge Members Held for Questioning
Monsters surge from the Black Cave, led by none other than Wizard Whately himself. A Serpent People spawns at the Witch House, while a Dark Young takes up residence at the Unvisited Isle. A second Tcho-Tcho joins his brother at Wizard Hill.
An earthquake destroys South Church. A Cultist and a Goat Spawn lurk at the Outskirts of town. The Terror Level rises by one for disturbing the dead. Earl Sawyer packs his bags and leaves town. Jenny moves to North Point Lighthouse. Diana reappears at the Witch House. Bob takes out Wizard Whately with the flamethrower and draws Summon the Beast Within. Jenny gains 1 SAN while investigating the rift at the lighthouse. Diana closes the gate seals the gate to the Abyss at the Witch House, returning the Dark Young and Goat Spawn to the monster cup.
CHAPTER 6 – Sheldon Gang turns to Police for Aid
A gate to The Great Hall of Celeano opens at the Graveyard, releasing a Star Vampire. The Hound of Tindalos moves to the Witch House. A Ghoul prowls the Uptown Streets, while the Cultist at the Outskirts summons a Flying Polyp. The dead are undisturbed. Bob fails to Summon the Beast Within. Diana fails to evade the Hound of Tindalos, losing 3 STA. After a trip to the Abyss, the Hound is too much for Diana’s fragile mind and checks herself into Arkham Asylum to seek help. Bob, feeling nigh invincible with his flamethrower, moves to the Graveyard to confront the Star Vampire. He passes the Will check but fails his Combat check. Bob burns the Holy Water and tries again but comes up short. When he wakes up, he’s in St. Mark’s Hospital. His Time bomb, flare gun and his will to work For the Greater Good have vanished. Jenny moves to Hall School, narrowly avoiding arrest in the process, to close the rift. It’s a small victory in an otherwise dismal chapter for our heroes.
CHAPTER 7 – Noden’s Favor
There are rumblings at the Witch House, but the seal holds. The Star Vampire, hungry for fresh blood, moves to the Rivertown Streets. The Ghoul moves to the Southside Streets. The dead are undisturbed. Bob fails to Summon the Beast Within and decides to seek more medical attention at St. Mark’s. Jenny moves to the Train Station. Diana moves to Hibb’s Roadhouse, gaining three clues. Jenny hops a train to the Graveyard and enters the gate to the Great Hall of Celeano. Diana meets Ryan Dean hanging out at the bar, who gives her his Rifle and a Press Pass. As luck would have it, Jenny finds a book in the Great Hall that immediately returns her to Arkham.
CHAPTER 8 – Contagion Kills Life in Blasted Heath
Doh! A gate bursts open at the Witch House, releasing a Formless Spawn to the Outskirts of town. Serpent People move to French Hill Streets, while Cultists are spotted in the Merchant District Streets. The Tcho-Tchos move to Backwoods Country. The dead are undisturbed. Bob fails to Summon the Beast Within. Jenny gets to work closing the gate to the Great Hall. Diana pays a visit to the Unvisited Isle. Bob moves to the Science Building, picking up one clue token. Then he burns the Mummy and the Yithian to gain two more. In spite of her best efforts, Jenny fails to close the gate to the Great Hall. That's not good with a Star Vampire lurking nearby. Diana enters the gate to Yuggoth and encounters a Byakhee. She reluctantly burns two clues to pass the Will check before gunning the Byakhee down with her rifle.
CHAPTER 9 – Bizarre Dream Plague Citizens.
A gate opens at the Science Building, sucking Bob into Another Time and spawning a Byakhee at the Outskirts. The Star Vampire moves to the Graveyard. Bob fails to Summon the Beast Within. Jenny casts Greater Banishment on the Star Vampire to save her skin, sending it back to the cup. Diana continues her journey through Yuggoth, while Bob marvels at life in Another Time. Jenny succeeds in closing the gate to the Great Hall. Diana encounters a Nightgaunt and, once again, Dean’s rifle comes in handy. Bob finds a beautiful piece of art from the distant past, earning $5.
CHAPTER 10 – Corpses Preserved
A gate to the Plateu of Leng opens at Hibb’s Roadhouse, spawning a Star Spawn. What's with all the odd gates? There is nobody in Arkham to be surprised by monster trophies. The Hound of Tindalos moves to the Graveyard. Finally, Bob Summons the Beast Within and continues his journey through Another Time. Jenny fails to evade the Hound and loses 3 STA. Her Will check succeeds, so she ducks into a crypt to avoid the Hound. While she’s in the crypt, Jenny reads some inspirational words, gaining 2 SAN. Diana finishes exploring the gate to Yuggoth and closes it, returning the Byakhee circling the Outskirts to the cup. Meanwhile, Bob leaps over a fissure in Another Time.
CHAPTER 11 – Lodge Members Watch The Night
A gate opens at the Unvisited Isle, sucking Diana to the Dreamlands and spawning a Yithian at the Outskirts. The Serpent People at the French Hill Streets are returned to the cup. Jenny fails to evade the Hound of Tindalos and comes to at St. Mark’s Hospital. Hospital staff spirit away the Necronomicon and a Dread Curse of Azathoth in the meantime. Bob finishes exploring Another Time and closes the gate, returning the Hound of Tindalos to the cup. Luckly, Diana immediately returns from the Dreamlands.
CHAPTER 12 – Riots!
A gate to the Dreamlands opens at Cold Spring Glen, spawning a Color Out of Space. The ghoul moves back to the South Hill Streets. The dead are still undisturbed. Bob moves to the Black Cave, Jenny recovers in her hospital bed and Diana stays put. Bob enters the gate to R’ley, encountering a nightmarish Tcho-Tcho Priest. Unperturbed, Bob demonstrates the wonders of modern technology to the priest. Meanwhile, Diana closes the gate to the Dreamlands.
CHAPTER 13 – Campus Security Increased
A gate opens to the Great Hall of Celeano at Independence Square, spawning a second Color Out of Space. That's definitely not good. Both Colors move, causing Jenny and Diana to lose 1 SAN. The dead are undisturbed. Bob continues his journey through R’leyh. Jenny, sensing the end is near, hurries to the Woods to grab a clue token. Diana moves to the Unnamable, picking up two clue tokens. Jenny finds an Axe in the Woods. Diana finds a stunningly beautiful crystal, which makes her extra Lucky. Bob narrowly misses catching a boat back to Arkham.
CHAPTER 14 – Virulent Disease
Shudde M’ell awakens
EPIC BATTLE!
Round No. 1 – Flying Debris – Each investigator loses 2 STA before attacking, which removes three Doom tokens (9 to go). There are five rubble tokens left.
Round No. 2 – Taint of Evil – Each die receives a -1 penalty. The investigators manage to remove only one Doom token (8 to go). There are four rubble tokens left.
Round No. 3 – Dangerous Plans – Jenny is devoured, while Bob and Diana manage to remove another two Doom tokens (6 to go). There are three rubble tokens left.
Round No. 4 – Catching Their Breath – There are two rubble tokens left. Bob and Diana roll well enough to remove three Doom tokens (3 to go).
Round No. 5 – Waves of Madness – Bob and Diana lose 2 SAN. Bob’s attack removes another Doom token (2 to go). There is one rubble token left.
Round No. 6 – Energy Surge – Shudd attacks, removing the last rubble token. The heroes combine to remove one more Doom token (1 to go).
At this point, whichever side attacks first wins . . .
Round No. 7 – Lost Hope – Bob discards Summon the Beast Within. Diana ditches her Rifle. Bob rolls three successes, removing the last Doom token. The investigators win by the skin of their teeth.
Overall, the game was a blast. An early rift, coupled with a Star Vampire and a Hound of Tindalos, put a lot of pressure on the investigators at the beginning. Fortunately, the flamethrower helped even the odds. i don't think I made any major mistakes gamewise, but sometimes there is so much going on on the various boards that its easy to overlook something.
I thought for a moment the investigators might avoid awakening Shudde after sealing the gate at the Witch House, but the gate burst and a lack of clues put an end to that hope. In hindsight, I probably should have prepared for Shudde’s arrival sooner, but I can’t complain about the result.
The Epic Battle rules made for a tense finish.
Needless to say, I'm looking forward to adding Black Goat of the Woods to the mix!

manfromleng said:

Bob, Jenny and Diana took on Shudde M’ell and Tulzscha last week. Usually I play four characters, but this time I decided to play three. I use all the expansions (minus Black Goat of the Woods). The only card I removed was Join the Winning Team. I forgot Bob and Jenny had errata, but it probably didn’t make a difference in the end. Here's how the game went down:
Well, that covered one question I was going to ask, namely seemed like you were using "old" Jenny and Bob. Also, JtWT as a team-effort is cool. I pulled it off in a 4-investigator game vs Azathoth partido_risa.gif !
manfromleng said:
Bob moves to the French Hill streets and makes short work of the Mummy with his flamethrower. Diana uses a magic ring she discovers at the lodge to zap the Cultist lurking nearby.
Even with Mummy's Phys. Resistance AND 3 toughness? Man, around here Mummy appearing is usually followed by: "Oh man, Jim Culver, where are you?"
manfromleng said:
Diana encounters a Nightgaunt and, once again, Dean’s rifle comes in handy.
Should've just declined to use the rifle and gotten a free ride back to Arkham gui%C3%B1o.gif .
Also, you did mention using all the expansions (bar BG), but preferred to go unconsious/insane and lose stuff instead of taking Injury/Madness, why if I may ask?

I like the format, we should have posts like these more often.

Great session report! How long did it took you? I have played AH (with and without expasions) for 20 min. or 4 hours.

Dam said:

Also, JtWT as a team-effort is cool. I pulled it off in a 4-investigator game vs Azathoth partido_risa.gif !

How do you actually complete JtWT as a group effort? Trophies cannot be traded, allies cannot be traded, and if you trade JtWT you are back in square one. If you have some hints I might be trying it too. I think JtWT is very nice card, worth of trying for in a twisted thematic sense... gui%C3%B1o.gif

I've never even begun to complete it when playing...

Copy of my post from the old forums:

"I object!!! (and vigorously at that)

Having just completed Join the Winning Team, I object to it being classified as a "defeat". I mean, come on, read the effing card "You WIN the game". Okay, so the others lose, but a win's a win, no? Oh, I agree thematically it's weird as hell, especially since I did against Azathoth, but from a gameplay POV, and given its difficulty, it's definately up there in the challenge it presents. If 3 of 4 investigators get killed in the Final Combat but the GOO is defeated, I'm sure the survivor will posthumously honor the fallen. Why should it be any different here?

Lowdown on how it all went down:

Solo game, random chars (as always), drew Leo Anderson as the first one (4 investigators), started with Zebulon Whateley AND a Task that had an Ally as one of the reward. Granted, wasn't thinking about JtWT at this point. But the pre-game Mythos card had dropped a 2nd Clue Token on STL and Leo went to grab the tokens, also getting Ruby Standish while at it. Now I was thinking maybe. Would you know it, Bob Jenkins was next, shopping at the Curiositie Shoppe, drew 2 weapons and JtWT. Though about it for a bit, then said what the hell, I'll go for it. Next turn, Kate Winthrop went shopping drew Holy Water, something and Dhol Chants. As they said in South Park just yesterday: "It's ON!" By turn 6, Leo had 4 allies and JtWT. Yes, I had all four investigators working as a team to get Leo to JtWT! First 3 drop-offs went without a hitch, but seemed like the fates were trying to prevent it, as Leo had gotten Blessed by an encounter at the Science Building and failing rolls in the OW gets you LiTaS'd. Anyway, Leo dove into the Abyss, 1st encounter was beneficial only. 2nd one however was monster appears. I'd shifted Leo's Will to max (to prevent insanity and the chance of getting the Ally remover Madness) and that only left him with 1 Fight and no Weapons. Monster turned out to be Color Out of Space, which luckily in this case, will beat you up if your fight is at 1!

I'm so totally counting the game as a win!"

*double-post

(is there a delete post button somewhere?)

Dam said:

Even with Mummy's Phys. Resistance AND 3 toughness? Man, around here Mummy appearing is usually followed by: "Oh man, Jim Culver, where are you?"
Also, you did mention using all the expansions (bar BG), but preferred to go unconsious/insane and lose stuff instead of taking Injury/Madness, why if I may ask?

1. Bob was rolling extremely well at the beginning of the game, which is probably the reason I got cocky and went after the Star Vampire. That was a mistake.

2. I never seemed to have enough good gear and/or clue tokens to warrant taking injury/madness cards. I usually take them, although I'm still smarting from drawing the one that caps your clue tokens against Hastur.

Gijs said:

Great session report! How long did it took you? I have played AH (with and without expasions) for 20 min. or 4 hours.

It's hard to say how long it took to finish the game, since it was played over the period of about a week and half. If I have a chunk of the time, I can usually finish a three or four player game in two hours, which happens to be the same length as my son's afternoon nap. happy.gif

Nice session Report. I look forward to more.

Oh, and I loved the Chapter idea for the turns, really caught my interest.

Very Nice Report. I hope you won't mind if I Steal the format for my own reports which I aim to make!