Do you play TI for Emotional/Ego/Political conflict or VPpoints

By andrey6, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Couldn't have said it better. A great achievement, that is.

When I was new to this game I played for Emotional/Ego/Political but now that I have learnd to play(slightly), Ill go for the VP's.

Tough Its always fun to see some emotional confilicts :D

Hey guys. Ya it's been a long while. Last I checked in was before the expansion! Several moves, 3 different jobs/career manuvers in the last 4 years and a new relationship have had me tied up. But I'm back. And I'm working on more stuff now that I've gotten settled in here in Edmonton.

Some of the rules for my old work was on the old threads. It's been awhile but I'll see if I can get a new thread going with the rules and stuff. I have to put it together for my new gaming group anyway. I may even be able to throw in some of the new stuff. In the meantime I'll have to check this wiki site out.

Yeah, please. :) The additional stuff is too cool to not play with.

AH,OH,AH Wrong thread!

But hey, nice move! Looking forward to your stuff. Someone has to do the first step to elevate this forum (again). And if it is you, even better! Nothing's more fun than new ideas to incorporate into your own game!

See Ya!

This forum sucks ^^ Find the real TI3 community blablabla ;D

And the day shall come where this new, disliked forum will rise from the ashes to live up to the greatness the old one provided!

Yes, that will be the day when pigs learn to fly, justice comes to everyone and world peace is achieved. Hey, one moment, hasn't Obama won the elections? Then now this day should arrive ^^

VP's are an interesting mechanic for the game. One of our first games, a couple of years ago, had one of our players win with absolutely no fleet units on the board. Of course, he isn't a particularly agressive player, and he likes to build stuff (to hoard) and freaks when his units are crunched.

He liked playing the game, because even with a passive M.O. he was still able to be a contender in the game. We also learned, that politics really are important in the game... and so is controlling any facet of the game (the Hacan with trade goods, for instance). Everyone has to play together in order to backstab their buddy and come up on top-- interesting dichotomy.

Yes, especially those "stand-off" situations where everyone looks suspiciously from right to left and tries to tell what the others are planning. Everyone is afraid to make the first step nd declare war...I like this point in the game!

I play for VPs. Even when playing with new players, I've always had to pay attention to every aspect of the game (big fleets, conquering systems, diplomacy, politics, trade, intrigue, bribes) in order to survive long enough to achieve 10 victory points. Whenever I get to 7 or so and I'm a couple points ahead of the second place player, a huge bullseye gets painted on my home system.

VPs are what makes TI so great. If winning battles guaranteed a win, everyone would want to play as the Sardak or L1Z1X. If intrigue and politics guaranteed a win, everyone would want to play Xxcha or Yssaril. The beauty of this game is that NOTHING guarantees a win because the conditions for obtaining VPs are so diverse.

JhonnyGoo said:

Yes, especially those "stand-off" situations where everyone looks suspiciously from right to left and tries to tell what the others are planning. Everyone is afraid to make the first step nd declare war...I like this point in the game!

One of my favorite games of TI3 was one where there was hardly a shot fired at all (it was a 4-player game). It was the constant THREAT of battle that made things tense, as you had to try and get your objectives, but didn't want to pull the trigger and start a mutually-destructive war!

Some people hate that ^^ But if you play with the new objectives, war is a very valuable option.

That is why I like a mix of the old and the SE objectives. It gives a little of both but is not completely centered on non-war or war. Of course if you have the Artifact objectives in the game then you will have fighting over those.

Strangely, we don't see much fighting about them since the last round, normally, if ever. People tend to feel that the artifacts belong to the guy who had placed them...