Rerouting Power from Engines and Towing

By Asymptomatic, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

If a starship's mobility wasn't a concern (e.g., waiting at a rendevous point, the starship is docked), would it be reasonable to run [RT - Into the Storm]'s [Energistic Conversion Matrix] in reverse to represent directing the engine's Power elsewhere? Light research shows that Defence Monitors do perform a similar task to accommodate otherwise inappropriate weapon systems. This has the effect of generating up to 25/20/15 Power based on Hull class, though the ship would have to spend time warming up the engines before disembarking again (narratively, half an hour or longer; mechanically, one or more Rounds).

Where could I find written rules for towing Components or whole ships, in the books or otherwise? The only notable mention I recall is in the [salvage System]'s description from [RT - Battlefleet Koronus]. I imagine there would be a Speed and Manoeuvrability hit, but there many other aspects to consider as well, such as Void Shield and Gellar/Geller Field interactions.

Based on some of the comments I see floating around, [battlefleet Gothic] seems to contain more in-depth starship rules, but I only have access to the Rogue Trader line. A penny for your thoughts.

BFG sadly never got into towing. It was mentioned and done but all behind the scenes in the campaign logistic step.

AFAIK while tow cables for starships exist, they were huge and had to be specially fitted. Probably dedicated towing ships did it because the only mention of it outside hulks was the towing around of Ramilies class star forts by six Emperor class battleships. Makes one wonder how many spare Emperors they had about.

Power wasn't an issue in BFG so nifty engine tricks didn't *usually* have an impact. Note that there was an order for it though. Lock On! Which drained ALL turning power to twin link all your guns.

Ships usually generate far more power than they use at any given time. For example you're looking at 10-12 power from the warp engines alone if you choose to depower them while in real-space. The question is why do you want the extra power? If you just want to mount more equipment than you have power for, then sure go ahead, we'll just have to spend some time re-routing power occasionally. But since the plasma drive produces power and the ship's speed factor doesn't actually consume any of that power I don't think that's an appropriate component to "de-power." If this is a roundabout way of saying you want to mount bigger or more weaponry than the hull normally allows I'd say no.

For towing I use the Salvage Systems component from Battlefleet Kronus. If one wanted a component strictly for towing I'd probably imagine up some sort of gravity tether for something like 2-3 power, 1-2 space, and 1 sp.

Thank you for your responses.

Ships usually generate far more power than they use at any given time. For example you're looking at 10-12 power from the warp engines alone if you choose to depower them while in real-space. The question is why do you want the extra power? If you just want to mount more equipment than you have power for, then sure go ahead, we'll just have to spend some time re-routing power occasionally. But since the plasma drive produces power and the ship's speed factor doesn't actually consume any of that power I don't think that's an appropriate component to "de-power." If this is a roundabout way of saying you want to mount bigger or more weaponry than the hull normally allows I'd say no.

For towing I use the Salvage Systems component from Battlefleet Kronus. If one wanted a component strictly for towing I'd probably imagine up some sort of gravity tether for something like 2-3 power, 1-2 space, and 1 sp.

You are very right; I had forgotten just how much Power a ship could stand to gain from rerouting power from a Warp Engine. My goal was to power an assortment of non-combat Supplemental Components that would be a low priority otherwise, but 10+ Power covers enough of them. The Defense Monitor was a just reference to what I would like to accomplish on a general level (forsake Speed and Maneouvrability for Power elsewhere). I am still interested in house rules to do so.

My issue is that the Salvage Systems Component does not go into detail about the consequences for dragging a second Plasma Drive or what have you through space. If I had to make something up, towing a Component or Hull applies a Manoeuvrability penalty equal to the Component's/Hull's Space value and Speed penalty equal to the Component's/Hull's Space value divided by 5 rounded down. Using this impromptu guideline, tugging a Space 10 Component has a -10 Manoeuvrability penalty and a -2 Speed penalty. A Space 2 Component has a -2 Manoeuvrability penalty but no Speed penalty. A Space 45 Hull imparts -45 Manoeuvrabiliy and -9 Speed, usually requiring multiple ships to partake in the towing. The penalties represent the care needed to prevent the towed object from jostling or even detaching. However, I do not have the experience to make such a call, which is what led me to asking the community for their input and how (if) they drafted rules for towing.

as a GM in 3 different campaigns I got so sick of the towing question.

So I just said OKAY . They tow. We tow. Y'all tow.

Towing is no more difficult in BFG/RT space than it is on Interstate 95.

HOUSE RULES:

For the enginseer, must make 2 Challenging Tests, Of both Tech-Use and Ship-Wright, to rig for towing.

This assumes your vessel is towing a smaller one. Takes an hour minimum to rig.

Also it assumes you are towing by Tractor Beam or Force Field..

If you are towing by actual chains, all difficulties go up 2 more steps.

Don't laugh. Stryxis and Orks do this every weekend.

The difficulties to rig go up by 1 step if size is equal.

Then they go up one more step for each size diff. as the towed ship gets larger still.

Rigging for Tow cannot be done in combat or strategic turns.

Quick and Dirty Emergency Tow in a Tight Spot:

Check Shipwright and Tech Use, Very Hard.

Tractor Beam only, can't use chain method in a hurry,

unless you have those harpoon guns.

If both succeed you are towing ok.

The towed ship suffers D5 Hull Integrity

The towing ship has to save versus the same damage.

The towed ship also has to save versus a crit ( see above)

even if damage is suffered, the tow works if both skills are made.

Simple failure on either test means more hours of work and try again. see chart

Success on the rigging test means you sail fine. until something changes.

like: a bad warp translation, a gravity tide, approach a black hole, ramming,

crazy helmsman, asteroids, nearby nuke, etc.

Then you must test shipwright again to avoid damage or loss.

Common components to damage while towing are

1: one hull int point, 2: void shield, 3: gellar field, 4: warp engines,

5: another component (aft on on towing ship, any on the towed ship)

Common crit results from towing fails are:

1: holed, 2: thrusters dmg, 3: engines dmg, 4: surly techsprites, 5: d5 Hull Integrity.

SKILL TESTS

FAILURE LEVEL; $ = SHIP WRIGHT # = TECH USE

Simple Fail:

$ Tow fails ; work d5 more hours, then try again.

# Towing failed. Work D5 hours, then try again

1 DoF :

$ check for dmg. vs. towed ship. But Towing works.

# Tow fails. Check for damage on the Towing ship. Try again in after 1 hr.work

2 DoF :

$ check for dmg. On the towing ship. Tow Fails

# Tow Fails, roll damage on towed ship, which is now tumbling.

3 DoF

$ Tow Fails, check damage on both vessels.

# Tow fails, roll damage on towing ships, crit on towed ship,

which is now sliding at nearest hazard (sun, minefield, etc.)

4+ DoF :

$ Tow Fails, give crit to each vessel.

# Tow fails, D5 hull dmg to towing ship, crit on towed ship, which is now tumbling.

If the tech use or shipwright skill rolls are natural 97 or higher,

the failures do not happen right away, but happen a d5 hours into the voyage.

enjoy your journey.

Additional successes on the Tech Test or Shipwright Test to Rig

mean that hazards and changes on the journey can be survived easier.

IE, you had 2 DoS on the rigging, so you do not have to retest

the next 2 asteroid belt encounters.

UNDERWAY:

Towing same size or smaller : lose 1 speed, and 1 DoS on maneuvers.

Towing Larger: lose 1 speed and 1 DoS on maneuvers, per size diff.

down to a minimum of 1 speed; and simple successes only on maneuvers

some navigator tests also get 1 step more difficult while towing, 2 more steps if by chain.

yes; you can drop a towed ship easily. again roll both Tech & SW tests, but diff. is only challenging.

yes; all ships have a tractor beam. even though its not listed. it is a function of the grav system,

can't be damaged separately and has no normal use in combat. this is not SFB.

Edited by Egyptoid

Mr Egyptoid, great rules, but they keep referencing 'above' is there a chart missing? Or am I being simple?