faq is out finally :)

By fiddybucks, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

I did. Eldars always have tricks in their pockets. Otherwise I wouldn't focus so much attention of this occasion.

This wasn't clear from your original post on the question, hence the question about how different the outcome ends up being.

With all my respect, Siren's ability explicitly reads after. SM was there before . After ≠ before. At least in my universe. Case closed.

"After" and "Before" what, though? After an opponent's unit is deployed, right? Isn't Siren's ability explicitly working "after" the SM is deployed?

With all due respect, the conceptual problem you are having isn't with the word "after"; it is with the phrase "this planet." You are wanting to set the identity of "deployed at this planet" based on Syren's location at the time of the SM's deployment, rather than setting the identity of "deployed at this planet" based on the location of the SMs deployment.

What about 40.000 units i had deployed at that planet before the Chosen? According to you, Siren can easily tap them all as well.

Isn't Siren's ability explicitly working "after" the SM is deployed?

Yes, it does. But how does this relate to the ability since after in her text obviously refers to the time of an enemy's unit deployment, not the time the ability itself triggers.

It feels like you don't understand that I completely agree that her ability will work on the new planet she was dragged to, but only on the subsequently deployed enemy units.

****, am I the only one having problem with interpreting this card? The deeper I'm into the discussion, the more I feel like a bone'ead.

The units at the planet (other than the Chosen) weren't just deployed (in the context of reactions, "after" means "just after", not "any time after"), so Siren cannot exhaust them. The Chosen was just deployed and, when the DE player triggers her reaction, the Chosen is at the same planet as Siren.

4034092-8556306952-1289..jpg

That's a bit too much. Suicide is not funny.

It's all a matter of perspective, really. I do understand your perspective. I'm just trying to point out the other perspective -- which is the one FFG tells us in the FAQ that we are supposed to use in situations like this. I get that the zebra can be seen as a white animal with black stripes. I've just been trying to say it can also be seen as a black animal with white stripes, and that looking at it as such helps to make FFG's rules clearer.

As you know, reactions take place in temporary windows that open up after something happens. All reactions to that "something" have to take in that window. Once the window closes, no more reactions to that "something" can take place.

1. There is one perspective that says reactions can only take place based on the game state as it stands before the window opens. In the Syren example, this is the perspective that says since Syren was not at the planet the unit was deployed in before the window opens, her reaction is invalid, no matter what happens during the window. I believe this is the perspective you are seeing, and there is a lot to be said for it.

2. However, there is another perspective that says reactions take place based on the game state as it stands when the reaction is triggered. This means that any changes that take place between the window opening and the use of the reaction are taken into account. This can make a reaction valid at the time it is triggered, even though it was not valid when the reaction window actually opened up -- provided, of course, that the reaction window has not closed yet. This is the perspective I have been trying to point to in the thread.

Both perspectives make sense, and both will seem natural and intuitive to different players. However, the FAQ tells us is that perspective #2 is the one that we are supposed to use when interpreting whether or not a reaction may be triggered. As such, it is important for people who find perspective #1 to be the more natural, intuitive interpretation to know about and be able to use perspective #2.