Lightsaber Duels

By Narr666, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I'd like to see some quick but cinematic rules for duels as well but I can see it being difficult to codify in this system. WEGSW had something but it wasn't that great (they're whole Force thing with a bit screwy).

Maybe FFG will come up with something in a splatbook.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with the combat RAW, plus lightsaber-oriented talents, when it comes to dueling. For added tension, you could add in the Showdown rules from Fly Casual , but honestly, the duel is more about the narrative than repetitive rolling.

Lots of people want more rolls or more rules, but that's good old D20 talking. FFG decided to make a system in which a round of combat can be up to a minute, with rich narrative potential in each roll. It's a system that doesn't want lots of rolls or rules - it's beautiful as is and just needs creative people narrating an awesome duel. Rolls and rules never made any game great. It's about how you use what you've got.

I've had my players fight a duo of inquisitors in our last game... fight was truly epic and everyone was tensed and worried about dying.

The fight took place in Teemo's audience chamber from "Long arm of the Hutt".
Our party consisted of a Former Imperial Officer turned Lightsaber wielder, a Former Imperial Scientist turned Sniper, a Scathing Tirade Spy and a Bounty Hunter (all have around 400xp)

The opposition : a Wookie Sith Warrior freak with Parry and Terrify ; a Human Sith Inquisitor with Reflect, Harm and Bind. (Inquisitor has Force Rating 3)

Before the fight, I told my players that they could very well die if they didn't use their brains... each inquisitors had a weakness, they have to find it and exploit it.

One thing gave them an edge... they had previously encountered the Wookie Sith and bought cortosis armors just in case they met him again :P

They Sith lured the players into the audience chamber ; when everyone was inside, they drew their Lightsaber and charged them : one player was near the cantina bar, the 3 others were near the entrance from the hallway. The Sith Inquisitors were next to Teemo's throne.

Round 1 : The Bounty Hunter acts first and shoots the Wookie... scores a critical and inflicts Winded (can't spend strain... so can't gain a 2nd maneuver) ; the wookie moves in towards the other players. The Inquisitor use Bind to lock one player in place. The player sniper jumps accros the entrance to the gladiator pit towards the cantina bar. The last players turns a table to defend against the incoming wookie.

Round 2 : The wookie closes the gap and starts hacking away at the bounty hunter... the former officier tries to strike the wookie but gets parried.... the spy shoots the inquisitor and gets reflected.... The Inquisitor use Bind to lock the bounty hunter in place ; he shoots the wookie and misses... the sniper takes cover and shoots the wookie with stun... knocks off some strain.

Round 3 : The wookie turns to the former officer and hits him hard... the spy jumps accros the entrance to the gladiator pit towards the wookie ... the sniper fires again at the wookie, stun again scoring a few strain... the inquisitor uses harm on the former officer... Bounty hunter moves back and shoots wookie... Former officer strikes wookie and get parried.

Round 4 : The wookies hacks the bounty hunter ... baldy hurt, the bounty hunter jumps to the cantina side... spy uses scathing tirade and starts stacking Setback on the 2 Sith... the Inquisitor uses harm against the former officer and almost brings him down (i cheated so he could still fight, he was 1 wound under his treshold)... the sniper fires again at the wookie, stun again scoring a few strain...

Round 5 : The wookie turns to the spy and almost brings him down in one hit... spy uses again scathing tirade and starts stacking Setback on the 2 Sith... the bounty hunter and sniper (now using kill) both hits the wookie and brings him down... the Inquisitor uses bind on the Officer so he cant come into engaged range... Officer tries to get the inquisitor to surrender.

Round 6 : Inquisitor uses Harm on the Spy... rolls only Lightside pips and cant activate its power, so she draws back and defends... Everyone starts shooting at the inquisitor using reflect and mitigating a lot of damage... Someone scores a triumph and has her drop her Lightsaber : damage starts piling.

Round 7 : Inquisitor, now badly hurt, gets back her lightsaber and uses Harm against the Spy, she scores enough to knock him out, but not enough to heal her back up. She gets taken down by the others.

It was one hell of a fight... except the sniper who got out of range fast, every player got almost taken out and earned 1 critical from the wookie, with one getting knocked unconcious... All my players were really stressed out about the outcome of the fight except one who was sure he was gonna die :P It wasn't really a lightsaber dual, but we had 3 Lightsabers waving around in the fight. One of the best fights I had in a long time :)