Mechadendrite use (weapon)

By Waggleton, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

My group is about to start a new campaign and we've decided to start from scratch. I'm thinking of playing a tech priest but I'm a little confused by the rule for weapon mechadendrite.

It says they end in either a ranged or melee weapon but the only example of a ranged mechadendrite is the ballistic mechadendrite and it's only armed with a las pistol. The ones capable of melee attacks all come under the utility version of the rule, utility and manipulators, with no examples of other weapon mechadrendrites.

My questions are. What weapons can be used on a mechadendrite and which can't? Common sense says heavy weapons can't be. But could a melta gun or flamer? Are they used to attack like a normal weapon is or only fired as a reaction like the ballistic mechadendrite? Would I need to also have flame weapon training to use a flamer? And finally what would the weight be? I'd assume weapon weight added to mechadendrite weight.

The only ballistic mechandrite is the one with the laspistol. The other ones (exception optical) may be used in melee. That's all. You can't put other weapons in mechandrites. There may be rules for that in later books (like there were in DH1e), but not yet. If you want a mounted weapon you need to look at the weapon MIU. For these you need the weapon talent used with the weapon, but they can be fired as a free action.

Thanks for the reply. Is there much point in paying the exp for mechadendrite use weapon then? It seems rather pointless at this point. Unless I also need that to make the utility mechadendrite attack.

A laspistol with unlimited ammo is not that bad, but there certainly are better weapons. From a purely exp related point I'd say it's not worth it. If you want to shoot with a techpriest you'd better go for a Weapon MIU plus the weapon of your choice, or the luminen talents.

But you might want to buy the weapon mechandrite for roleplaying reasons. (I did for my techpriest in first edition, just because I wanted to have ALL THE MECHANDRITES :lol: )

And it is a weapon that most NPCs won't be able to identify as a weapon and wich is really hard to take away from you, so that's a little bit that might come in handy.

Edited by madMAEXX

I have an interesting idea on weapons. How about doing something like Twin-Linked Mechadendrites or Twin-Linked integrated weapons. Of course they would have to be the same type of weapon, should they be twin-linked, but how could someone write it.

say like a

Prereq: ability to stableize, or brace heavy weapons.

need 2(Mechadendrite or intigrated) weapons of the same type, same quality

as a full attack action: may engage Twin-linked firing. or half action to enable twin linked system, then able to fire in the next action.

Limited to forward firing arch. and maybe say the only way to fire them seperately is to Disengage the twinlinked system. Or something like that.

OR is there maybe another forum to post this and get some good ideas. How much would it cost? or what Teir? and the like?

OH and there was another fantastic thing I'd seen was something like Mechadendrite Array (Max number of Mechadendrite are equal to 2x toughness bonus). has anyone seen this anywher, if so. WHERE? how much xp did it cost? or was it equipment? or something?

Your GM may allow for some expanding of the rules here within reason. As I have in past edition and in 2.0. Talk with him/her about it. But I would say yes, get one. If your influence roll aint bad, no reason not too. The new system encourages mass rolling to get gear. Second as others have pointed out, it is a built in weapon which cannot be removed from you. Lets say you and your party are captured and they take all your weapons. As long as there is not an enemy tech priest in the ranks, you secretly have a weapon. This weapon is also considered a pistol, meaning useful in both melee and range. It can also grant you an extra attack due to your mechendrite talent.

Mechadendrite attacks are heavily advantaged because they allow for standard attacks as reactions. This means that you can take a shot/swing during an enemy's turn, during which time they cannot react. This attack is in addition to any attacks made on your own turn. This is why they are restricted to specific weapon types.

Let me try this again......

I want to try to do something that is NOT listed in (onlywar, dark heresy, Deathwatch) core rule books. I would like to build something a little different, a little new, but something that is not unbeleaveable. So that I'm still following the core system to some extent.

I would like to make a tech priest have multiple Weapons of the same type, meaning IDENTICAL and then have them Twin-Linked. I would like to make an attack action fire the whole lot of them. In effect this would look sort of like a one man light artilary unite. He could really blast up a hall way in close quarters. I am looking for a few ways to try and write this up in a fairly professional way so that no one "smack talks" the idea as over powered. OF the methoods i can think of reaching this goal is:

1. to use 2 integrated weapons mounted at the shoulder,
  2. or use 2 or more of the same weapon mounted as a Mechadendrite.

I am working with a theory that to fire them all at one time or in very fast succession would probably require some stableization (ie. buldging bicepts), & OR reqire some new made up tallent, or something else to ballance things out. I am looking for actual ideas on creating this ability or such not as free actions, but as a dedicated attack. Maybe such an attack means he has NO free action. IF there is ANY idea on how someone might work this out using fairly decent game mechanics to give Fair bonuses & or drawbacks and help me make this concept a lagitamiate (house rule) idea then please tell me how can this idea work out. Think about it for a minute, ideas, theorys, tallents... Common folks work with a new idea to create something fun, exciting, ballence it but it is an idea I would like to give some life to. If your having issues with what this conept might look like then think Dr. Octopus shooting lasers out of 2-4 of his little arms, OR the Preditor from the movie Preditor with 2 shoulder mounted cannons. Now the character stands there sure footed and rains fire down on some cultist. Ok the range might be limited to 50-100 meters but take the vision and run with it. Dream a little.

I am NOT looking for the simpleton idea of I shoot my lase pistol with my right hand, and my left mechadendrite fires a compact laspistol as a free action. (The monkey in the corner claps at the pritty lights, because this looks impressive to a monkey.)

Do you just want to have the weapon quality "Twin linked"? In that case I'd say: Get the Ballistic Mechadendrite twice and go for it. (With GM approval, of course)

If you want to fire more than one weapon at once:

For talents I'd go with the techpriest routine, as is: Get an implant for basic function (in this case maybe the weapon mechadedrite). Then add an additional talent that requires Mechadendrite Use (Ballistic) and allows you to use the attack action you have in mind. Depending on the power of the action this should be tier 2 or 3 (Maybe even build a "tree" of talents like swift attack > lightning attack).

You could also go with MIU implanted weapons and base the talent on that.

To follow the rules, the action has to be 1 attack action, that encompasses all weapons. I'd limit it to maximal BS Bonus weapons. Maybe 2 for the first talent and BS Bonus for the next one?

For balancing purposes:

This attack action has to be at least a Full Action.

I'd maybe give a malus of -5 or -10*(Number of weapons)

As it drains power from your internal reservoir I'd go with the same rule as the luminen blast talent: (Toughness) Test or get one point of Fatigue. Maybe even restrict it to 1 or 2 uses per day.

Do you just want to have the weapon quality "Twin linked"? In that case I'd say: Get the Ballistic Mechadendrite twice and go for it. (With GM approval, of course)

If you want to fire more than one weapon at once:

For talents I'd go with the techpriest routine, as is: Get an implant for basic function (in this case maybe the weapon mechadedrite). Then add an additional talent that requires Mechadendrite Use (Ballistic) and allows you to use the attack action you have in mind. Depending on the power of the action this should be tier 2 or 3 (Maybe even build a "tree" of talents like swift attack > lightning attack).

You could also go with MIU implanted weapons and base the talent on that.

To follow the rules, the action has to be 1 attack action, that encompasses all weapons. I'd limit it to maximal BS Bonus weapons. Maybe 2 for the first talent and BS Bonus for the next one?

For balancing purposes:

This attack action has to be at least a Full Action.

I'd maybe give a malus of -5 or -10*(Number of weapons)

As it drains power from your internal reservoir I'd go with the same rule as the luminen blast talent: (Toughness) Test or get one point of Fatigue. Maybe even restrict it to 1 or 2 uses per day.

YES, indeed. I'm looking to do the twin linked quality.

And from twin linked quality you can assume my goal is to shoot more than one weapon at one time, Those weapons being the same, and the theory to get the twin linked Balistic skill bonus. However this is where I need ideas, I want to try to keep some relative game ballance here and not just flagrently break rules. questions are:

1. How much of a bonus can in theory a character get from this and keep from busting the system, or disgruntaling other players?
  2. How much of in case of draw backs should there be for such an action?
  3. what types of penalties should there be to preform such actions?

Those are the normal things to consider when working out something out that is not in the system, and keep it relatively fair. I love your idea of weapon use cap like 1/2 balistic skill bonus, then = balistic skill bonus. Also the toughness test like lumion blast... however in this case the character is a tech priest, and has both the charging capability and internal reseivor. One idea I was toying with being able to do like a twin linked turret and provide suprssion from firing multiple weapons at a single target. Because the game master I'm working with is ex-military he recomended the suprssing fire for one target and not multiple. He also said to try and get other people that know the system to help work out more ideas on how to do this. So That's why i'm here. Now food for thought on the idea ,one can asume that it depletes some fo the reserve power if all weapons are fired at the same time but at what rate. Even a disconnected weapon still has a d10 or a d5 shots left, so it's not like the power drain is all that fast, and seeing that it is unlimited shots with A (single) las weapon how fast is the drain? What bonus to damage? What bonus to hit? What about plasma? or mass driver? I like the ideas keep them flowing, PLEASE!!!

Use the advances for the Crimson Exemplar specialization in the Only War expansion book Shield of Humanity. They spend 300xp per weapon to integrate up to a limit of TB. A separate 600xp advance allows their servitor to send sufficient targeting data for a coordinated blast, making a tech use test and scoring a hit with one weapon per DoS. Requires full action from the tech priest and the servitor.

In-game, the character will need to roleplay interaction with sufficiently knowledgeable individuals so as to learn the methods. Be mindful that twin linked integrated plasma has better output on most targets than a Multi-Las. Twin linked weaponry often compares favorably to heavy weaponry, except that ammunition can become a pressing concern.

I really don't see a reason why you can't put any weapon (ranged) you want as a mechadendrite.

We're currently engaged in a game of hivegangers vs. the hive where my players simply play criminals in Desoleums underhive. No inquisition or anything, just criminal scum. One of my players is a tech-priest (renegade tech-priest) and we've discussed at length how you could put a shotgun or stub automatic or autogun on a mechadendrite, because why the hell not?

Talk it over with your DM/player and figure out what it is that you want to do. I'm willing to bet good money that somewhere out there in the 40k world there's a tech-priest walking around with a clockwork leg and a mechadendrite mounted Blunderbuss! Because why the fudge not?

I have a different question regarding mechadendrites. Specifically the optical 'drite.

It is described that it is also usable as a telescopic sight. Is that supposed to mean the weapon mod of the same name or simply meant as a pair of binoculars? I would argue that a weapon mod actually has to mounted on the weapon in order to grant the bonus it has. One exception would be if the techpriest also has a ballistic 'drite or shouldermounted weapon.

But, as I would argue, you can't hold your pistol up in front the of the optical mechadendrite and then gain the bonus from a telescopic sight.

What is the consensus on this?

On the subject of Mechadendrites as weapons in general, does anyone else think the Manipulator Mechadendrite somewhat lacklustre as a melee weapon? I know it's got to be awkward to use, but we're talking about a robust claw-like pincer of great strength; I'd expect something a little more...interesting than what amounts to a non-Primitive truncheon.

I have a different question regarding mechadendrites. Specifically the optical 'drite.

It is described that it is also usable as a telescopic sight. Is that supposed to mean the weapon mod of the same name or simply meant as a pair of binoculars? I would argue that a weapon mod actually has to mounted on the weapon in order to grant the bonus it has. One exception would be if the techpriest also has a ballistic 'drite or shouldermounted weapon.

But, as I would argue, you can't hold your pistol up in front the of the optical mechadendrite and then gain the bonus from a telescopic sight.

What is the consensus on this?

It means the telescopic sight weapon mod. For the most part you're right, weapon mods need to be attached but this is clearly an exception. When your eye is on the end of a tentacle and can telescopically zoom in on its own it really just needs to line up with the barrel of the gun. If its bugging you that it wouldn't be calibrated to the particular weapon you could say that he lines it up with the weapons iron sight.

My character pretty much has only used the sight rule alongside a ballistic mechadendrite and I picture them just sort of coiling or slotting together next to one another when using them in sync with one another.

Another fun trick. If you've got both a ballistic mechadendrite and optical mechadendrite you can potentially fire around corners or over cover without exposing yourself since both mechadendrites are several metres long and provide the eye to see and aim with and a hands free gun.

On the subject of Mechadendrites as weapons in general, does anyone else think the Manipulator Mechadendrite somewhat lacklustre as a melee weapon? I know it's got to be awkward to use, but we're talking about a robust claw-like pincer of great strength; I'd expect something a little more...interesting than what amounts to a non-Primitive truncheon.

Meh, its way better than the other mechadendrite melee weapons. Its basically just a clumsy extra bionic arm that is somewhat stronger than your regular arms (+20). Weapon wise it's essentially like a natural weapon with a strength bonus of your character +2 so it seems to fit alright to me. What you're thinking of lines up more with a servo arm or servo claw which both had rules in Only War. They had their own incredibly high str values separate from that of the character plus unnatural str and 2d10 damage added to the str bonus of like 14 or whatever and a pen in the double digits. They were crazy hard hitting. Maybe we'll see it added in one of the expansions.

I asked in another thread but didn't get much response: standard mechadendrites are considered good quality, so does that mean the weapon bits would get the bonuses of being good quality weapons? I believe they would and my groups been playing it that way (although hasn't come up much) but its not clear cut. Curious what others think.

I asked in another thread but didn't get much response: standard mechadendrites are considered good quality , so does that mean the weapon bits would get the bonuses of being good quality weapons? I believe they would and my groups been playing it that way (although hasn't come up much) but its not clear cut. Curious what others think.

Hi Sharsnik !

Can I ask where you read that (Talking about the initial quality)? Is that at the creation where the acolytes select its stuff, or even after when they requisite mechadendrites ?

Sorry if you have to answer that again.

Edited by devilredneck

I asked in another thread but didn't get much response: standard mechadendrites are considered good quality , so does that mean the weapon bits would get the bonuses of being good quality weapons? I believe they would and my groups been playing it that way (although hasn't come up much) but its not clear cut. Curious what others think.

Hi Sharsnik !

Can I ask where you read that (Talking about the initial quality)? Is that at the creation where the acolytes select its stuff, or even after when they requisite mechadendrites ?

Sorry if you have to answer that again.

Its on page 180 second paragraph under the "Cybernetics" heading right before the "Bionic Replacements" heading. It discusses bionic craftsmanship then says "All mechadendrite cybernetics are considered to be of good craftsmanship unless otherwise noted". Currently, none note otherwise.