Medical training

By Dark Bunny Lord, in Zombie Apocalypse

Im a new player and about to experience my first session on Monday. Now I'm a medically trained in real life and noticed this represented under the example features as a mental stat (Ive only got brief looks into the book as the gm owns it). Anyways I noticed when recovering traumau you use the respective defensive stat but would that then mean that medical training would be useless for recovering physical trauma?

Yes you use the defensive stat from the same category as the trauma when recovering. But check this:

"As with any test, this test gains positive and negative dice from any circumstances affecting the treatment. For example, positive dice can be added due to helpful equipment or the assistance of allies."- pg33.

So I guess its like this- having the knowledge of knowing how treat a wound doesn't help you physically to heal better but you can apply that knowledge to get bonus dice (and give bonus dice if treating another person). So I guess it is up to you and your GM to determine how helpful your medical training is each time you try to use it.

I read page 18 as follows:

"Positive dice represent training or circumstances that can help you complete a task. Adding positive dice greatly increases your chance of success and helps you avoid suffering stress from negative complications. The following elements can add positive dice to the pool:

•Positive Features: Each positive feature on your character sheet that could help you perform the task adds a single positive die to the pool. Usually, this feature shares a category with the characteristic being used for the test. However, if the GM allows it, you may use applicable features from other categories as well."

In my interpretation, this is a circumstance there a positive feature such as training as a medic can be used in a different category.

In my interpretation, this is a circumstance there a positive feature such as training as a medic can be used in a different category.

I see what you are saying but I think idea is that just having medical knowledge doesn't make your body tougher or less resistant to injury. So when you are recovering you still roll vitality and use physical features- like a "tough" feature or something. But you can still use the medical training to give you or someone else positive dice when recovering.

Say you have a CPR training and basic first aid, you and your GM agree that the feature gives you a single positive dice to assist recovery because you know how to treat a wound.

Say you have 10 years of experience as a heart surgeon, with proper equipment and time you could possibly get like 10 positive dice if your GM agrees your feature applies really well.

I actually hadn't seen the last part (as I said only breifly looked over some of the rules) that said some features not from the defensive stat could be used, that makes a lot more sense as obviously you'll heal a broken leg faster if someone sets and splints it correctly than if you just do nothing to it. Thanks that should do the trick for answering my question.