Shielded by the Warp questions

By erttheking, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

In the Navis Primer expansion there is a renegade psyker power called Shielded by the Warp with the following description.

Shielded by the Warp

Value: 400 xp
Prerequisites: Desperate Transmogrification
Focus Power Time:
Half Action
Focus Power Test: Willpower
Range: Self
Sustained: Yes
Those who become servants of the Warp may often look to the Warp to protect them. In a very real sense, the Warp may answer a psyker’s call, granting him some protection so that he may continue in his service to that entity.

The psyker may activate this power by making a Focus Power Test. If he succeeds, he shrouds himself in a Warp field that inflicts a penalty equal to his Psy Rating on any Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill Tests for attacks directed at him. Any enemy who fails a Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill Test when attacking a character protected by this power suffers 1 Insanity Point, plus an additional Insanity Point for every two Degrees of Success that the psyker scored on his Focus Power Test. The psyker may only take Move Actions while sustaining this Technique.

Only renegade psykers can use this ability, and from what the Navis Primer says, they'll have a Psy rating of 3. Max. Even with pushing that'll get them up to 7. A minus 7 isn't really that great for an ability that takes away your ability to attack. Am I reading that right? Do you think that's a good amount? If not do you have any idea for tweaks to make the ability more worthwhile?

Edited by erttheking

Similarly defensive powers at least have some multiplicative scaling to get the bonus/penalty into the double-digits. For the additional restriction of not being able to Attack or Evade, I might consider raising the multiplier from PR x 5 to, say, PR x 10, but I have to run some scenarios to see if that will break anything. There are ways to deal with a turtling Psyker if she cannot attack. Might want to consider a few guidelines for the power, such as it breaking if too many attacks are coming in or how the field interacts with Blast weapons.

By the by, copying and pasting from the .pdf's will often bring odd text colours to the forum. In the future, please take ensure that the entire post is in Automatic for readability.

I'd change the figure to Psy rating used x 5. If it wasn't for the insanity gain, I'd increase that multiplier further.

I'd change the figure to Psy rating used x 5. If it wasn't for the insanity gain, I'd increase that multiplier further.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. That seems balanced.