RPG

By PurpleReign, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Has there ever been, is there now, or is there talk of a Netrunner roleplaying game? I know of Shadowrun and Cyberspace, but they are a bit out dated and don't quite fit the theme exactly.

Something designed like FFG's Star Wars game would be fantastic!

Netrunner started as a roleplaying game. That is where the R. Talsorian Games comes from in the copyright notice. They put out an RPG called Cyberpunk, which had a character class called Netrunners. When Wizards of the coast licenced the game to make a collectable card game they used the class name as the title. When Fantasy Flight Games relicensed it they brought it into their Android universe. Cyberpunk is still available. I bought it a couple of months ago, but I haven't played it yet.

This would certainly be in "Shut Up and Take My Money" territory for me. If you read through the board game and the novels, it really is a pretty richly developed setting.

I would buy an Android RPG game, especially if it had rules very similar to FFG Star Wars RPGs.

Yeah, I've been dying for a modern cyberpunk RPG. Shadowrun doesn't do it for me because of the whole magic and goblins thing, and Cyberpunk, while still a viable option, feels a little dated. I heard Pondsmith was working on a new system to coincide with the release of the upcoming video game, though...

Anyway, yeah an RPG using the FFG Star Wars RPG mechanics would be great, and the Android setting is totally awesome ... so count me in!

There's an indie one called Corporation you could try - no testimony from me as I've not played it, but I've heard good things.

There's an indie one called Corporation you could try - no testimony from me as I've not played it, but I've heard good things.

Checked out the site, looks interesting! Very bleak compared to the Android Universe, but I'll look into it! Thanks!

I got tired of waiting for FF to put out an Android RPG so I got two of my friends together and we're home growing one using the FATE system. We have the Worlds of Android book as source material and all the cards from Netrunner for flavor, hardware, software, NPCs, etc. I even figured a way to translate ICE and running from Netrunner into the FATE system. We decided to just start a game and build as we go. It's going very well. The FATE system focuses on storytelling so lots of stats, tables, etc. aren't necessary.

I highly recommend the homegrown method, especially with FATE. Lot's of fun and very satisfying. I have no doubt FF will publish an Android RPG eventually and if it rocks, I'll get that too. For now, we're going to keep plugging away at our own.

I've been planning something simila,r, and FATE was (is) one of my frontrunners for which system to use :) good to hear it's working for you

I've been planning something simila,r, and FATE was (is) one of my frontrunners for which system to use :) good to hear it's working for you

If you tackle it, I'd love to compare notes. If you need any help getting started, I'd be happy to help however I can.

I got tired of waiting for FF to put out an Android RPG so I got two of my friends together and we're home growing one using the FATE system.

That's what I'd do too, since I have the book from the crowdfunding. But if you do end up with something passable, perhaps you could share it on BoardGameGeek/RPGGeek? ;)

Will do!

I'd love to roleplay Netrunner the setting of hackers fighting firewalls as monsters and assassin androids is pretty friggen sweet. I'm curious how this works to be honest I've not read everything regarding Netrunner but I'm unable to visualize how exactly the Runners 'fight' Ice. But regardless of that I do enjoy Netrunner's concepts.

I've not read everything regarding Netrunner but I'm unable to visualize how exactly the Runners 'fight' Ice.

That's because you need to read William Gibson :)

Imagine this: The 'net you jack into is a shared hallucination like an 80s/90s sci-fi movie. When you're using it, your consciousness is really there. Your brain is powered by ICE breakers and whatnot, and when something goes wrong the feedback gives you a jolt. An abrupt disconnection could leave you in there, your brain empty. The whole concept of cyberspace was obviously made by somebody who'd never used a computer.

In the grim darkness of Netrunner's future there is no cable insulation.

Here's a link to the public Obsidian Portal wiki where we're keeping all our game info. We had another session the other night and it ROCKED. The running part of the game needs some tweaking, but it works and is a lot of fun.

http://fateofnewangelesgetchergeekon.obsidianportal.com/

Speaking of RPG anyone ever consider roleplaying as their chars? Corp could be roleplaying as a CEO or a Sysop operator in charge of the database said Runner is running.

Not sure why the above link throws an error. Let's try this: click here

Not sure why the above link throws an error.

Original link has a few extra characters (probably spaces) at the end, which the URL translates into %C2%A0. Edit that out and it should work.

EDIT: I checked, it's actually only one space. A single gap left between the address and the [/url] tag.

Edited by CommissarFeesh

I've asked FFG about this and been told they've, "no announcements to make at this time."

Meanwhile, I'm using Interface Zero 2.0 and the Worlds of Android book to run a game.

You got plenty of games out there to use.

From the classic Cyberpunk 2020 , really outdated nowadays, to new games such as The Sprawl , that uses the Powered by the Apocalypse engine. Not forgetting generic rulesets as FATE (i prefer FAE ), or more crunchy systems like Eclipse Phase .

Since you got all the setting info in the novels and the games already published, what you lack is just a system. I will recomend any light-ruled system that avoids tons of tables and complicated options and focus in the story. Thats what a RPG is suposed to be used for. If we want more crunchy rules we could always walk back to tabletop games (Android) or card games (Netrunner), but when is time for RPG the only rules we need are those that help us to create a good story.

Has there ever been, is there now, or is there talk of a Netrunner roleplaying game? I know of Shadowrun and Cyberspace, but they are a bit out dated and don't quite fit the theme exactly.

Something designed like FFG's Star Wars game would be fantastic!

After playing a campaign using FFG Star Wars rules I really hope they do not go that way. Nor the Dark Heresy path, btw.

FFG focus on heavy rules, tons of classes, and all the stuff they are used to bring in their board games. But what is nice to board game is not always fine for RPG. So many rules to do things are a time-sink, and they really lack rules to create stories.

That was nice in the 90s, when there was no other options available, but these days such focus on numbers dilute the rpg experience. We have videogames for that, and they do it better. But when we want to roleplay all this junk only disturb and distract from the story.

Anyway, FFG keeps creating those rules-heavy very pretty books. Highly priced, and thinking always in how to sell us more books we dont know. Another book with character classes... another one with more programs to put into your console... and the Nth one about weapons... but no single book about how to properly create stories and make them fun. Well, they give you adventures.

At the end. A single book like, Dungeon World provides plenty more hours of adventure than all the Dark Heresy collection. But, hey!!, you got 20 colorful books!!

I've asked FFG about this and been told they've, "no announcements to make at this time."

Meanwhile, I'm using Interface Zero 2.0 and the Worlds of Android book to run a game.

Yes. IZ 2.0 is excellent. Savage Worlds is an excellent base system and IZ 2.0 is an excellent cyberpunk setting and wouldn't take much at all to "tailor" it to be Android-centric. I'd be all over a FFG Android type RPG, although think I'd like something different from the Star Wars and WH40k mechanics if only because I love how different RPGs approach mechanics.