Changing the "crafter" talent tree

By DevonDs101, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hi everyone,

I am writing up a character for a friend. She likes the idea of an artisan but has absolutely no interest in repairing starships.

The GM has indicated that we will not be exploring starship combat and basically we will be flying at the speed of plot in the SS Maguffin.

I am planning on substituting the two starship oriented talents that come up a could of times on the Artisan tree.

One I am replacing with Utinni and the other with Gearhead, both of which seem basically useful and not overpowering.

I don't want this to "break things" so I am posting this to ask two things.

1. Does this seem like an unfair trade? (Why I am not putting in Jury Rig or Tool Belt)

2. Do people have other suggestions for flavorful substitutions?

Thanks

Solid Repairs and Fine Tuning actually apply to any vehicle. So if your GM means that there's actually going to be no sort of vehicle-based chases or combat in the slightest at all, then I guess I could see how the talents would become completely useless. If you're only replacing a single instance of the talents with Gearhead and Utinni (not putting more than one each in the entire tree), then it could be probably be fine.

In terms of it being unfair, under normal circumstances, yes. Talent trees aren't always going to have everything you want for your character, and that encourages branching into other talent trees or taking other routes to talents you want (to avoid spending XP on talents you don't want). But since your GM is being upfront about not including a specific chunk of gameplay mechanics, then it's more reasonable.

Hi everyone,

I am writing up a character for a friend. She likes the idea of an artisan but has absolutely no interest in repairing starships.

The GM has indicated that we will not be exploring starship combat and basically we will be flying at the speed of plot in the SS Maguffin.

I am planning on substituting the two starship oriented talents that come up a could of times on the Artisan tree.

One I am replacing with Utinni and the other with Gearhead, both of which seem basically useful and not overpowering.

I don't want this to "break things" so I am posting this to ask two things.

1. Does this seem like an unfair trade? (Why I am not putting in Jury Rig or Tool Belt)

2. Do people have other suggestions for flavorful substitutions?

Thanks

The 2 "star ship" related talents aren't really just star ship related they are vehicle talents, if she takes Artisan that's in her tree and should stay there or she isn't an Artisan.

Straight from the book:

Artisan

Some Force users have an innate skill with tools and

machines. These skilled artificers can use their skill

with the Force to enhance their abilities, and even intuitively

understand a machine’s form and function.

The definition of Innate:

adjective
existing in one from birth; inborn; native:
innate musical talent.
inherent in the essential character of something:
an innate defect in the hypothesis.
originating in or arising from the intellect or the constitution of the mind, rather than learned through experience:
an innate knowledge of good and evil.
What that means is she has a natural talent for it and its there whether she likes it or not, now I am not saying she has to spend XP on it in the tree as there are other ways down the tree, but those star ship talents are on the tree multiple times, changing them to something else...well it makes it not and Artisan anymore. She does have the option of spending extra xp when she gets more to take talents from another tree though. Buying into another talent tree will cost 30xp plus the cost of the talents afterwards.
What exactly does she want to do exactly? Are you guys playing just F&D or from multiple books? Does she want to play a Jedi if you are using all the rule books? It looks to me like Artisan is a combination of mechanic, engineer, slicer and gadgeteer combined so there are a lot of options there.
Ultimately you and her could bring it up to the GM for approval to change those talents, but she wouldn't be an Artisan in my book and if I was the GM I would suggest looking for something else that does fit what she wants to play. If you answer the questions I asked above we can help here in the forum.
Edited by Osprey

I'm with Lathrop, make sure she won't be repairing anything with an HT threshold. That includes speeders, walkers, airspeeders, wheelbikes, pogo sticks, tool sheds, space stations, shopping malls, very large droids...

While people tend to focus on starships in a lot of areas, this game makes use of lots of other vehicles.

Is she looking at the specialization title rather than the mechanical portions of the specialization? I find that the titles can be very misleading for some players. What sort of character is she truly looking to play? More of a mechanic or more on a sculptor / artist?