Why Ultramarines instead of Imperium?

By Zethnar, in Forbidden Stars

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Imperium to be represented BY the Imperium? I'm not saying that Space marines shouldn't be represented, they're iconic of the brand, but shouldn't they just be one of the ground units rather than a full blown faction? Not to mention that It feels a bit weird for them to be occupying planets, that's the sort of thing they usually leave to the Imperial Guard.

Edited by Zethnar

They're the most generic and recognisable "good guys" in the 40k universe so they always get thrown into games like this mainly to simplify things for the developers and people new to the mythos, and it would be very difficult to have the Imperium represented by the Imperium because so many different factions make up the whole. It would be far more interesting to have a different chapter like Space Wolves or Raven Guard instead of the Ultramarines, but I think in a game like this they would play too similar to the World Eaters/Eldar. The Ultramarines are in as the "standard" tactics if you like, whilst the other factions represent the narrower tactics of aggression, attrition or subterfuge.

I think they're doing this with an eye towards expanding the franchise. I would - I mean, I can see Dark Angels, Blood Angels, etc. coming on line in future expansions. Doing just the Imperium, in general, wouldn't allow them to expand the game.

I'm thinking that with the modular board, small Space Marine Chapters, etc. this gives FFG the opportunity to run with it if it gets popular. I'm hoping it does; looks good to me.

Looks great! yes Ultramarines are popular but that is a minus to me too. If I find out they are planning expansions that would seal he deal on the core set for me.

It's FFG. They've probably already got the first expansion 75% done.

As far as not making it "The Imperium" my guess is we'll see the Imperial Guard at some point. Is it anti-thematic to have IG and Space Marines possibly fighting each other, yes, but they can do it in the LCG and the tabletop game for that matter.

I think they are Ultramarines because the Imperium is the blue player. That's all :)

Since the mini's in this game are molds taken directly from the GW Epic and Gothic line we should be seeing the Imperial Guard added at some point and each of the factions had quite a number of different units. Unfortunately GW never updated the Tyranids in the last incarnation of the Epic series, Epic Armegeddon but there were some older ones from Epic 40,000 so they might include some down the road or sculpt new ones based on the 40K universe.

I'm hoping that some of the mini's can be used in my games of Epic and Gothic but it all depends on the scale.

Looking forward to trying out this new game.

I think they are Ultramarines because the Imperium is the blue player. That's all :)

I think the space marines are the blue player so that they can be Ultramearines, but that's just semantics. :)

In the setting, Space Marines are very much a separate fighting force from the Imperial Guard (who would be a better stand-in for "The Imperium" as a whole.) Each Space Marine chapter is very much a self-sufficient sect of warrior monks. Yes, they are part of the Imperium, and they fight for the Emperor and blah, blah, blah. But they do their own thing in the name of the Imperium more than they represent the Imperium itself on the battlefield.

To have the entirety of the Space Marines reduced to one or two units in a larger "Imperium" force would be to grossly under-represent their power and presence in the 40k universe. They definitely belong as their own player faction. Could FFG have used the Imperial Guard instead of the Ultramarines for the core box? Sure, they could have. But it wouldn't have been as iconic a representation of the setting.

And, as others have already said, I have little doubt that the Imperial Guard, the Sisters of Battle, and maybe even the Titan Legions will be making their presence known in future expansions, assuming the game does well enough to justify them. =P

I think the space marines are the blue player so that they can be Ultramearines, but that's just semantics. :)

In the setting, Space Marines are very much a separate fighting force from the Imperial Guard (who would be a better stand-in for "The Imperium" as a whole.) Each Space Marine chapter is very much a self-sufficient sect of warrior monks. Yes, they are part of the Imperium, and they fight for the Emperor and blah, blah, blah. But they do their own thing in the name of the Imperium more than they represent the Imperium itself on the battlefield.

To have the entirety of the Space Marines reduced to one or two units in a larger "Imperium" force would be to grossly under-represent their power and presence in the 40k universe. They definitely belong as their own player faction. Could FFG have used the Imperial Guard instead of the Ultramarines for the core box? Sure, they could have. But it wouldn't have been as iconic a representation of the setting.

And, as others have already said, I have little doubt that the Imperial Guard, the Sisters of Battle, and maybe even the Titan Legions will be making their presence known in future expansions, assuming the game does well enough to justify them. =P

A Warlord Titan is already in there - so clearly Titan Legions are represented.

No doubt other units/factions will be introduced by way of expansions. This is simply the core set a la X Wing.

This game appears to be a mix of Epic 40k and Might Empires ( for those that remember it!). I'm looking forward to it and like the idea of an 'all in one' 40k game which reflects the Galaxy wide conflicts of the 41st Millenium - "There is only war" ............. Or "There is only Waaaaaagh" for Orks. :)

Since the mini's in this game are molds taken directly from the GW Epic and Gothic line we should be seeing the Imperial Guard added at some point and each of the factions had quite a number of different units. Unfortunately GW never updated the Tyranids in the last incarnation of the Epic series, Epic Armegeddon but there were some older ones from Epic 40,000 so they might include some down the road or sculpt new ones based on the 40K universe.

I'm hoping that some of the mini's can be used in my games of Epic and Gothic but it all depends on the scale.

Looking forward to trying out this new game.

*looks at battlefleet gothic ships...then at pictures from forbidden stars* NO? These are NOT the same molds. The same ships, defineatly, but not the same moulds. Battlefleet gothic cruisers are actually kind of big if used for a boardgame.