Where's the Love for Runewars?

By Salem, in Runewars

I would figureatively kill for an expansion to this game!! More Terrain! More Adventures! More Heroes! More Races! Support for 5 or 6 players! How about it!

I don't want more expansions -- I just want more people to play this with!!!! I think I've played it only 4 times since I got it in December 2013. Sad, sad, day.

Well, I guess that's not true. I would like another expansion, I just think it'd be nice for this game to see more play first. That 3-4 hour estimate really scares people off.

Maybe something will be announced at the GAMA trade show today of tomorrow.

The inclusion of runewars units in battlelore gives me hope that runewars will see some love soon.

I don't want more expansions -- I just want more people to play this with!!!! I think I've played it only 4 times since I got it in December 2013. Sad, sad, day.

Well, I guess that's not true. I would like another expansion, I just think it'd be nice for this game to see more play first. That 3-4 hour estimate really scares people off.

I, too, could live with Runewars as-is if it got more playtime. What I have found (especially for 4 players) is that 3-4 hours underestimates game time- perhaps it's just the crowd I play with.

It definitely does depend on who you play with. Pre-expansion, my brother and I would play 2-player games clocking in at 90 minutes quite consistently, but that was dozens of plays so we had things down pat.

To keep a good pace, I think one of the players kind of needs to act as the "proctor" and keep things moving. And using the original victory conditions, while sometimes anti-climatic, can help a lot as well.

Pre-expansion, my brother and I would play 2-player games clocking in at 90 minutes quite consistently, but that was dozens of plays so we had things down pat.

To keep a good pace, I think one of the players kind of needs to act as the "proctor" and keep things moving. And using the original victory conditions, while sometimes anti-climatic, can help a lot as well.

I love a lot this game but even with two players (and a variant requiring only 4 runes), we often need at least 210-240 minutes to play it and generally we are exausted at the end of the game. :wacko:

Often we have the feeling that other similar games, such as the short scenarios in Mage Knight (sorry ffg :ph34r: ), provide to us a more rewarding experience with a shorter amount of time.

Hmm, I can't help there. I have only had one or two games take that long, and those were with new players and weird maps.

I like Mage Knight, but for me it's much better as a solo or cooperative game. I don't care much for it as a competitive game.

Hmm, I can't help there. I have only had one or two games take that long, and those were with new players and weird maps.

I like Mage Knight, but for me it's much better as a solo or cooperative game. I don't care much for it as a competitive game.

I see Mage Knight more as a multi player solitaire game while I acknowledged Runewars as a more competitive game. It would be perfect for me unfortunately my partner can’t stand this kind of tension for 3 hours !! :P

Maybe some of you could suggest me an effective way on how to reduce the playing time. As I said we play with a limit of 4 runes but it still take ages to arrive at the 4/5 year. :(

Without knowing all the reasons for the slowdown, it's hard to say. Maybe just look at each turn and see what's taking so long. In our games, a typical season takes about 5 minutes or so, from resolving bids, choosing orders, and resolving them. Some seasons are much shorter depending on the orders, and some take a little longer (Summer and battles), but even then, it doesn't take too long.

The biggest thing is to just be ready for your turn. If you are doing a Harvest, and your opponents go first, while it's possible your harvest may change if they attack you, you can still be ready to figure out what developments you want to build. If you recruit, you should have an idea of what you'll want to build. Just be ready for your turn.

In a lot of cases, you can even take your turn while the other person is going. If your opponent is doing a mobilize into areas that don't involve a battle with you, and you did a Recruit, go ahead and just start getting your units together. If he is recruiting and you are using Acquire Power, just do them at the same time. There are times when order matters, sure, but many other times when you can just do it at the same time.

If the seasons are taking more than about 5 minutes each, try and track down what part is taking the longest. From there, I may be able to give some specific tips on reducing whatever aspect it may be :)

Do you think Runewars will see another expansion??? I hope so...

Yes it will.

I would love to see five and six players in this game. Granted it would take a long time to play, but it would be no worse than any other Epic game (I'm looking in your direction Twilight Imperium). Obviously after seeing Orcs and Dwarves in the card game that would be a good choice for new players. Even if they decided not to go in that direction and add more players, I would still like to see some new map sections and who knows, instead of new kingdoms, perhaps the Orcs and Dwarves could be hired as allies?

The new campaign book for descent comes with 10 pages of fluff, which ties nicely into the runewars story. Nice to see ffg forging the links between the games again, gives me hope for runewars future.

I dream of another expansion. Even if it was just more of the same. More tiles, more quests and more heroes. Preferably it would add in new factions as well and replace the player boards to contain the Banners of War units on the cardboard stock but I'd buy anything added to the game.

I don't think we'll see an expansion soon, it looks like battlelore is getting all the love this year. When elves and undead get released for battlelore we may see new units adding to runewars.

I don't think we will see any expansions for Runewars. I think the game is done for FFG. It is a fabulous game. One of my all time favorites ever in fact.

I don't think we will see any expansions for Runewars. I think the game is done for FFG. It is a fabulous game. One of my all time favorites ever in fact.

On the other hand, that's what everyone thought about Twilight Imperium after Shattered Empire, but Shards of the Throne appeared suddenly out of nowhere, too :D

One can hope! (I don't think Runewars NEEDS any more expansions, it's a solid game as-is, but I wouldn't mind seeing at least a couple more factions).

I'm also think it doesn't need any new rules - it's hard enough to teach new players the current set and it works fine.

However I would love to see 2 new races - I could invite up to 6 people to the table. Now we are limited to 4 players. One person won't come and we end with 3 players game, which is the worst number for strategic games. Some new terrain with quests, maybe new neutral unit and pack of heroes (enough models in Descent 2) and that's it.

I would love to see another expansion with the Orcs and Dwarves like what was done with Rune Age. It was still only 4 players but there were more options and alternate scenarios for play. One can hope!!

I'm hoping they announce the runewars app at gencon.

I'm also think it doesn't need any new rules - it's hard enough to teach new players the current set and it works fine.

However I would love to see 2 new races - I could invite up to 6 people to the table. Now we are limited to 4 players. One person won't come and we end with 3 players game, which is the worst number for strategic games. Some new terrain with quests, maybe new neutral unit and pack of heroes (enough models in Descent 2) and that's it.

It could depend on the people involved, I'm sure, but I actually think Runewars is pretty good with only 3 (and in fact I tend to like it more with 3 than 4 because there's less downtime and it's easier for all players to interact; in 4 player games, the players opposite each other tend to interact very infrequently).

My dreams of a Gencon announcement were shattered. That said at least I get all my Imperial Assault goodies, Runebound and Warhammer Quest. FFG remains my favourite publisher for good reason.

Is there any chance for a 3rd Edition to be on the road ? I can't make my mind to buy or not the 2nd edition knowing that FF is constantly rebooting their games :wacko:

The revised edition isn't that old, we won't get a new version anytime soon.

They'd have to have a 2nd Edition first :) The Revised Edition is just a slightly updated 1st Edition. (I think it was very intentional that they didn't call it 2nd Edition, but Revised Edition).

I don't think there's any need for a whole new edition; the game is great as-is. FFG's strategy of late is only to make new editions when they really want to revamp the entire gameplay. Occasionally a revised edition for reprints that they want to just tweak a few things.

I suspect Runewars Revised Edition was largely done because of a desire to make the box smaller and reduce some costs, as with rising production costs, they wanted to keep the price below $100. They woudln't have been able to continue producing the original edition at that price. Plus, the day of the coffin box has passed - I think only Twilight Imperium, their flagship game, comes in that.